NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't reckon they will list 22 too often thunderdoc, if ever. I don't even know if the AFL teams were able to list the full 18 listed players on too many occasions this year with relatively healthy injury lists and Suns list is getting smaller again next year.

Don't think there will be too much change at all in the type of teams the AFL teams roll out, NEAFL teams need to somehow lift to get to that level.

Morningside played Lions Round 2 (18 listed players), Suns (18 listed players). Depends where you play them. Thunder played reduced numbers because all their games against the 4 AFL clubs in the Territory. That will change if they travel.
Too much a variant and that's why the competiton with the AFL reserves involved is farcical. Its not an even playing field

Morningside played Lions Round 2 (18 listed players), Suns (18 listed players). Depends where you play them. Thunder played reduced numbers because all their games against the 4 AFL clubs in the Territory. That will change if they travel.
Too much a variant and that's why the competiton with the AFL reserves involved is farcical. Its not an even playing field

That was my point it does depend when you get them, it's a compromised comp, always has been. My club broadbeach played the lions early in the year with 17 listed including black, staker, polkinghorne, yeo, karnesis among others. Even the top ups of Conway, tickner etc good state players possibly drafted. Result- we played well goal down at 1/2 time overrun by 80 in the end. Final round we got the suns with 9 listed and weaker top ups. Result- cats by 94. They call it luck of the draw, just like in the AFL if you got 2 games vs Melbourne and GWS etc

AFL reserves teams vary in standard big time. Not sure how to solve this.
The vfl has similar issues Geelong and hawks reserves ( box hill) a bit good especially when not many injuries. I notice the west coast eagles reserves are in the grand final in the first year of existence after beating top side Claremont last weekend. But I guess it's a good experience for guys to play against the pros, and cheaper than a full AFL reserves.

Don't reckon they will list 22 too often thunderdoc, if ever. I don't even know if the AFL teams were able to list the full 18 listed players on too many occasions this year with relatively healthy injury lists and Suns list is getting smaller again next year.

Don't think there will be too much change at all in the type of teams the AFL teams roll out, NEAFL teams need to somehow lift to get to that level.

Don't get the, " the NEAFL Clubs just need to lift" mantra.

Afl clubs have fully professional lists. Some of the very best players from throughout Australia. Average contract is somewhere between $80-$100k. This year 18 Players per NeAFL team = $90k x 18= $1.62m. Aspley's salary cap this year was $165k....you wonder why they got done?

How the hell do NEAFL teams just miraculously lift when the opposition are full time footballers with the best coaching, support, facilities, research, training camps, medical support, etc and the NEAFL clubs are made up of blokes who work for a living, many in the construction industry, make a mad dash to get to training at night, stay back for meetings or video review and then get home to eat when the professional lads are about to head to bed! Knock it off...

Afl clubs have fully professional lists. Some of the very best players from throughout Australia. Average contract is somewhere between $80-$100k. This year 18 Players per NeAFL team = $90k x 18= $1.62m. Aspley's salary cap this year was $165k....you wonder why they got done?

How the hell do NEAFL teams just miraculously lift when the opposition are full time footballers with the best coaching, support, facilities, research, training camps, medical support, etc and the NEAFL clubs are made up of blokes who work for a living, many in the construction industry, make a mad dash to get to training at night, stay back for meetings or video review and then get home to eat when the professional lads are about to head to bed! Knock it off...
I got a few ideas, a decent Southport team took a ripping lions 2's team to 8 pts in the GF in 2001, Peanut very close to the mark above.
And Doc I totally agree with your points.

Can certainly be done Yesterday. Stand alone teams in the VFL have taken AFL reserves teams to the cleaners in the past but it is going to take a change in training habits and standards up here in QLD. Smaller lists with higher quality players will help increase standard of skills at training, and hopefully NEAFL clubs invest into their coaching and strength and conditioning programs to find an extra 5-10% there also.

I hear you peanut...mind you bendigo and frankston are hardly competitive . In fact VFL bosses stated re bendigo, that its not all about winning, citing talent pathways etc. sounds familiar huh?

The old VFA was a great competition, drew great crowds and every team was intent on winning...

At the end of the day, the difference is money. To pay quality players, topay quality support staff,fitness staff, etc and community clubs just don't have access to Afl clubs bank balance. And they shouldn't be expected to

Imagine if Lions played in a comp where it's opposition had a salary budget 10 TIMES theirs!! They would nt be competitive. It's the very reason why AFL is embarking on a rationilzation program to try and reduce the inbalance..
Guess they would be told, don't worry about winning just keep developing kids

I reckon Aspleys performance against the odds was sensational

Yep your certainly right with the finance it takes to make a competitive team against professional athletes, hence the more financial teams holding a licence in the restructure as they have the platform needed to take their performance to the next level. Port Melbourne a good example of a stand alone side that has managed to serve it up to the AFL reserves sides over the years, so as I said it can be done.

I hear you peanut...mind you bendigo and frankston are hardly competitive . In fact VFL bosses stated re bendigo, that its not all about winning, citing talent pathways etc. sounds familiar huh?

The old VFA was a great competition, drew great crowds and every team was intent on winning...

At the end of the day, the difference is money. To pay quality players, topay quality support staff,fitness staff, etc and community clubs just don't have access to Afl clubs bank balance. And they shouldn't be expected to

Imagine if Lions played in a comp where it's opposition had a salary budget 10 TIMES theirs!! They would nt be competitive. It's the very reason why AFL is embarking on a rationilzation program to try and reduce the inbalance..
Guess they would be told, don't worry about winning just keep developing kids

I reckon Aspleys performance against the odds was sensational
just found out that there were no premiership medals given out sunday? how filthy would you have been if Aspley won their first flag and got nothing to show for it... disagree with the lions players not being wrapped about winning sundays match have a look on their website to see in the rooms after, i think they may be a bit concerned about going over the top and being then branded as arrogant or direspectful thought they showed aspley great respect post match. a few of the lions boys didnt have to play sunday but obviously wanted to and chose to...

Agree Speedy - funny this whole conversation has taken a 180 degree turn in 12 mths - who thought anyone would be complaining about Aspley not having enough $$ to compete!!:confused:

Frankston don't really compete at VFL level, they have bare access to physios, one of the coaches buys the post game lollies and pizzas and their set up is quite amateurish in comparison to the AFL clubs - yet they have had more guys drafted as maturea age players than any side in the last few years. Have said all along that the NEAFL isn't about winning premierships once the AFL got their teeth into it - its about finding players for the next level. You reckon they invested in getting the Thunder into the comp bc they couldn't find a football club in Qld? The AP is about winning premierships and community footy.

i see southport and coolys own mark lynch won the northern football league b&f last night. tough football comp that. tied with cloke. won the edfl b&f last year as well. i think that's the same bloke that played for southport and cooly
It certainly is the same bloke Damo. A cracking kid to boot. He won't be coming home anytime soon!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GK - understand you are involved at Pine Rivers - thats nearly as big a call coming from Div 3 to more or less Div 1. Is there going to be some players drifting in over summer?

P
GK - understand you are involved at Pine Rivers - thats nearly as big a call coming from Div 3 to more or less Div 1. Is there going to be some players drifting in over summer?
I think you will find pine rivers will end up in the div down, not sure if the league will be happy. As most the players wanted to just stay in div 3 and build a club for a few years. But yes if we played in the north comp we would be on the end of some big defeats.

will aspley second team playing in the north comp will that be there left overs from the neafl squad.

No. No NEAFL players allowed to play in that division. They will all be allocated to a QAFL side so in Aspleys case Sandgate, Grange and probably UQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back