2013 Western Bulldogs Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

#6 West Coast Eagles Marcus Bontempelli, 191cm 83 kg, midfielder from the Northern Nights

(Chris25 write up)

Possibly my favourite player in the draft, yes even ahead of the South Australians. At the start of the season I picked Marcus Bontempelli as my bolter, and I was talking him up to anyone who would listen. And I'm pleased to see more people jumping on board of the bandwagon. I've read people saying that if he grows a little more, that he would be KPP height. While that is true, the kid is a midfielder and could be something genuinely special at that height.
In previous years, Marcus has played more as a flanker/outside midfielder. He is a rangy type player who moves really well, with both decent speed and a strong endurance base. Really nice leap on him, and he is a very good kick - both long and strong. The reason I'm such a fan is because of the improvements I've seen in his inside game, he is starting to really use his body well and he gets himself into good positions. I'm not saying he will be as good, but he could potentially develop into a Jobe Watson type - versatile, damaging and wins his own ball.

cross#4

Pick 7 - Brisbane Lions, Matt Crouch.

Another midfielder to complement Redden/Rich/Rockliff/Hanley, will set their midfield up well for the future. Best contested player in the draft.

Igloo.

Pick 8 - North Melbourne - Luke McDonald

F/S pick for North who should slot in on a half back flank in round 1. Great kick over a large distance, massive leadership potential, and ability to play as a genuine utility after only a couple of years.
Played VFL this year for Werribee, bypassing TAC cup. Played in the National competition, but has had a bit of a knee injury and was relatively quiet. Was one of Werribee's best players in the VFL finals series.
Personally rate him top 5 in the draft, so North are getting a bit of a bargain, imo.

minson 4 brownlow!

GWS: PICK NUMBER 9

Lennon is an explosive footballer with some real versatility with his ability to play midfield, forward or back and do some big damage. What most stands out with Lennon is the explosive kick he has. He can launch it 60-65m and hit a target lace out or kick the long goal. He’s also an excellent finisher around goal with serious goal sense and finishing ability from snaps. His set shot goalkicking could do with further work though and is that only real question mark by foot at this point. Pace is above average and can at times break the lines. Also at his height Lennon is an excellent overhead mark making him a weapon forward of centre or in winning the 1v1 contests down back. Despite being more of a forward and outside type Lennon has improved his ability through the midfield but will need to develop his ability in close and become a more of a clearance threat to be a viable midfield option in the future. My feel is that Lennon long term settles onto a back/forward flank because he doesn’t have a natural inside game but it depends entirely on the team he ends up at and the vision they have for him because he gives you plenty of options and a real weapon wherever you see him fitting. If you gave me the choice I’d play him on a back flank as a guy who can really penetrate the opposition zone but it’s going to be interesting to watch.

timtamWB

Will be staggered if Lennon drops to 9 come draft time, would be an absolute steal there. Personally hope we take him over Scharenberg at 4, should we keep that pick.
Agreed.

Will be staggered if Lennon drops to 9 come draft time, would be an absolute steal there. Personally hope we take him over Scharenberg at 4, should we keep that pick.

what u reckon bout bontempelli? like the sound of him.

Also.. im not sold on scharenberg either.. not sure why.. but from what ive seen he just hasnt really done it for me.

Pick 10 - Collingwood - Dom Sheed

Sheed is possibly the most complete midfielder in the draft. Can play as an inside midfielder and extractor, but can also play as an attacking outside midfielder. His disposal is good and most importantly, damaging. He can play as a natural forward, and even as a defender if necessary, but his true place is in the guts. His one knock is that he is a bit one paced, but due to his balance of inside/outside ability and his decision making, especially under pressure, it is not really a big weakness. Would complement Collingwood's midfield, especially as an inside midfielder which is an area they are not too strong in.

Dannnnnnnnnn

My pick coming soon.

what u reckon bout bontempelli? like the sound of him.
Think he's quite overrated, personally. Really needs to play a big game well, which he hasn't done so far. Would be surprised if he goes top ten.

Pick 11 - Richmond - Nathan Freeman​
Nathan-Freeman.jpg
Height: 181cm​
Weight: 85kg​

Freeman is a small midfielder with the potential to become one of the game's best. His explosiveness out of the contest is second-to-none in this draft, which, paired with his ability to win his own ball is a fantastic asset. Has the skills, pace and finishing ability to really change a game, and often takes the responsibility to do so. He's hard with his tackling as well as his attack on the ball and has rare one-on-one ability for a player of his height. Also quite good overhead. In space, he has a very penetrating and accurate kick which he often uses to good effect. His skills are not elite under pressure, but with his superb ability to find space where there is none and break away from contests it's not a huge issue. Needs to work on becoming more consistent before he can become the player he promises to be, however, his ability to change a game and his intent to run both ways sees him become well worth pick 11. He wins his own ball easily and, should he become more consistent, will be very difficult to tag out of it at AFL level due to his potential to play both inside and outside.

Freeman will add to Richmond's already dynamic midfield, combining both a physical presence and an ability to break games apart. Is fantastic backup should Martin leave, and if he doesn't provides added depth. A valuable, developing midfielder who provides the two-way run which Richmond at times lacks.

texdog

Pick 11 - Richmond - Nathan Freeman​
Nathan-Freeman.jpg
Height: 181cm​
Weight: 85kg​

Freeman is a small midfielder with the potential to become one of the game's best. His explosiveness out of the contest is second-to-none in this draft, which, paired with his ability to win his own ball is a fantastic asset. Has the skills, pace and finishing ability to really change a game, and often takes the responsibility to do so. He's hard with his tackling as well as his attack on the ball and has rare one-on-one ability for a player of his height. Also quite good overhead. In space, he has a very penetrating and accurate kick which he often uses to good effect. His skills are not elite under pressure, but with his superb ability to find space where there is none and break away from contests it's not a huge issue. Needs to work on becoming more consistent before he can become the player he promises to be, however, his ability to change a game and his intent to run both ways sees him become well worth pick 11. He wins his own ball easily and, should he become more consistent, will be very difficult to tag out of it at AFL level due to his potential to play both inside and outside.

Freeman will add to Richmond's already dynamic midfield, combining both a physical presence and an ability to break games apart. Is fantastic backup should Martin leave, and if he doesn't provides added depth. A valuable, developing midfielder who provides the two-way run which Richmond at times lacks.

texdog
Damn this makes it hard my top 4 I wanted here are gone. I'll choose soon.

Pick 12, Carlton: Lewis Taylor
Lewis Taylor is a real gun and top 5 in talent and performances but he is a bit shorter than the rest. He is from Geelong Falcons and I choose him for a replacement for Judd. Judd is taller but they have similar inside/outside games but Taylor has the option of going forward and still having an effect on the game. I'm not sure who's next as I'm on my phone. Can someone tag the next person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take 2
Port Adelaide- Pick 13
Blake Acres (WA – Mid/Util)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 07/10/1995
Recruited from: West Perth
Blake-Acres.jpg

Knightmare's Bio

Profile: Acres is a high production outside player with some real versatility and the ability to play through the midfield, up forward or down back well. Finds it effortlessly on the outside. Very effective as a linkup player and is a really clean user of the footy and very composed with ball in hand finding the right target every time. Willing to take the game on and shows some ability with his run and carry. Also has some penetration to his kick on both sides. Missed most of the u18 champs with injury but form back in WA has been excellent.

GoDoggies Your Up

Sydney Swans - Pick 14

Darcy Gardiner (Defender)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 22/09/1995
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

Darcy-Gardiner.jpg

Sydney will be looking to bolster there Key position backs this off season and Darcy is the best one in the draft so will have no hesitation in taking him. Very strong 1 on 1 and can also rebound with great footy smarts. Has also played forward but we will be recruiting him to be a 10 plus year defender.

100action

Geelong - Pick 15

Luke Dunstan (Mid)
Height: 185 cm
Recruited from: Woodville

Geelong have no young inside mid of note, Horlin-Smith and Caddy show signs but ultimately seem a bit meh. With Kelly and Corey seemingly finished going for a quality inside mid would be a priority. At such a late pick Dunstan is perfect, had solid championships, a very solid year and leadership qualities make him a no brainer. Kicking like the story for many inside mids is a bit iffy but can take a mark.

Chris Grant

Pick 16 - Cameron McCarthy
195cm, 89kg (South Fremantle, WA)
Position: Key Forward
Plays like: Liam Jones/Justin Westhoff

McCarthy came out of nowhere this year and had a blinder of a championships before unfortunately breaking his leg. Barely anyone had even heard of him, his rise has been dramatic to say the least. McCarthy is a big contested marking forward. He reminds me a little bit of Liam Jones, in that he will fly for any mark and there's a good chance it will somehow stick. He also has very good speed and a nice leap to go with his game. But what sets him apart is just his ability to read the flight of the ball and be able to take the ball at the highest point. He's also very good at ground level and has the ability to turn around and snap a goal. The other thing is his kicking technique. It's a bit unusual but it was surprisingly successful over the champs. He was able to win the for WA with a set shot after the siren so it's quite reliable even under pressure. McCarthy is still very raw. He needs work on his leading and understanding of the game and he will take a few years till he's ready. But it's well worth waiting for given his upside.

Christian Salem (well actually Kade Kolodjashnij was who I didn't realise wasn't taken) was my best available option here, but felt Freo require a developing tall forward.

threenewpadlocks

Pick 17 - Hawthorn
Kade Kolodjashnij
Height: 188cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 09/08/1995
Recruited from: Launceston

The highest-rated Tasmanian prospect in this year's batch, Kade Kolodjashnij brings more to the table than an unusual last name. A half back flanker, Kolodjashnij uses the ball well by both hand and foot and is a genuine link up player who isn't afraid to take the game on. Kolodjashnij also has the height not to be embarrassed to line up on taller defenders, however his lightly-built frame can leaved him exposed one out. Overall, excellent disposal, pace and a very smart running game will leave the Hawks in good steed as they look to replace the ageing Shaun Burgoyne and Brent Guerra and continue their dominance of the last few years.

Reason taken: Best available in the positions that Hawks have older players (running half back, KPD and inside mids)

Mike__

Pick 18 - Gold coast

Jay Kennedy-Harris
173cm, 68kg, Small forward

Plays like: Luke Dahlhaus, Maurice Rioli

Recruited for his leg speed and pace on the forward line he was one of the smallest players but was quick, ran around other opponents. He crumbed packs and kicked goals that nobody at first, thought he would. A small forward with extreme pace and goal sense, but also an ability to work up the ground.

Will add flair and pace across the GC forward line with this small pocket rocket who is able to bob up anywhere and kick goals from nowhere

@Dannnnnnnnnn
That closes out round 1

Found this pick hard as in need of a running half back and there doesn't seem to be many.

GWS: PICK 19

Nicholas Robertson (WA – Util)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 03/06/1995
Recruited from: West Perth
Style: Andrew Mackie
Player comparison:
Range: 15-45
Profile: Real quality running defender who can also play through the midfield and forward. Robertson has elite endurance and has that ability to run all day and find plenty of the footy and provide some run with ball in hand off a back flank. More of an outside type at this stage but he can win some of his own footy and is an excellent tackler. As a defender Robertson has a very good 1v1 game and can beat his direct opponent which is promising with the relative weakness defensively being in his agility as a tall being below average with his pace more straight line. Not the most damaging user of the footy yet but hopefully he can add that to his arsenal with time. My preference with his game despite being more of a defender and midfielder at this point is to use him up forward where he can better utilise his elite running and strong ability 1v1 as well as utilise that tackling ability of his and then look to further add to his ability through the midfield later. He’s one where he only played those first two games and then we haven’t seen him since with injury but he’s still good enough to be selected relatively early on draft day

Had Dumont and Hartung earmarked here but can't believe luck that Salem has lasted this long so...

Melbourne Pick 20 - Christian Salem

Adding both Aish and Salem to go with Toumpas and Viney goes a long way to completely transforming Melbourne's midfield. Salem is another great midfield prospect that has combination of elite foot skillls, decision making, and a physical hard edge aspect to his game. An added bonus is that he is good overhead which makes him versatile and able to hit scoreboard or play off half back which will help him transition into the AFL environment. For a team like Melbourne that has such poor foot skills getting these two combined with Toumpas should see their stocks rise rapidly over coming years.

Snarling Bulldog

Had Dumont and Hartung earmarked here but can't believe luck that Salem has lasted this long so...
Very nearly took him at my pick but just couldn't let Freeman go. Think Richmond will take Salem personally but I think Freeman is a better choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back