NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

P
I think you will find pine rivers will end up in the div down, not sure if the league will be happy. As most the players wanted to just stay in div 3 and build a club for a few years. But yes if we played in the north comp we would be on the end of some big defeats.
They might find someone keen to go up a league I spose.

I think you will find pine rivers will end up in the div down, not sure if the league will be happy. As most the players wanted to just stay in div 3 and build a club for a few years. But yes if we played in the north comp we would be on the end of some big defeats.

Very ambitious, good to see you boys aiming high and challenging yourselves!

No. No NEAFL players allowed to play in that division. They will all be allocated to a QAFL side so in Aspleys case Sandgate, Grange and probably UQ.

One would hope that all the Sandgate juniors will be drafted back to Sandgate first. UQ is an interesting concept going up 2 divisions in 2 years and not setting world alight in first year in AP Cup. How could Mayne go up a division when they don't actually have a club house or home ground and share Everton with the Everton wolves.
4 clubs at Gold Coast for 35 southport players to be drafted. One would hope Broadie and Labrador get first choice of any players they lose to southport in draft, but there doesn't appear too much commonsense about the whole process so nothing would surprise me.

That would make sense.. If southport take 4 say from Labrador, they should be able to get four back free of any penalty or increased points

great game saturday good crowd in, looked to me the lions were pretty pumped to win...

Interesting to see Luke Rogerson played for Lions. Great he got an opportunity but he did play for Redlands in the first 2 weeks of finals. Very interesting interpretation of eligibility rules. Tickner played and was an emergency for Aspley in our GF. Goods to see the youngsters getting as much exposure as possible but it does make a mockery of it's true worth as a "Cross Conference Final"
Playing the Swans probably meant no-one really cares

Think that's exactly what the situation was TD - the x conference final is like an exhibition match really. He played reasonably well too all the same did Luke.

See that Southport have advertised all coaching positions. Early whispers are Mcqualter may captain/coach? Any other candidates?

So nothing has changed players ignored at State selection and awards night are now being chased to sign by the super NEAFL clubs and some have signed for big money,either the Qld football market is correct in their assessment or AFLQ is corrupt (or inept) is anyone actually accountable at AFLQ or is it just a pseudo public service.

D.Cresswell,M.Angus, C.Watts.... dont think they would go a capt coach
Watts, would have to be a chance.
Angus a smokey,??. has sold his business in Burleigh, and is sitting at home doing nothing,,,,,he told me he has knocked back a couple of interstate coaching offers, and wants to remain living on the Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watts, would have to be a chance.
Angus a smokey,??. has sold his business in Burleigh, and is sitting at home doing nothing,,,,,he told me he has knocked back a couple of interstate coaching offers, and wants to remain living on the Gold Coast.

Agree stuyd1 - have heard Angus is moving back to Perth - he has had a few offers back there over the past couple of years to be full time footy - but was settled on the coast.
Very good coach in my opinion, would think that Southport will attract some good interstate candidates as well.

I see the AFL have pulled the pin on the NQ NEAFL team. Probably a wise move, they would get wasted. And it was one thing that didn't sit well with me the afl putting 400k per year into that team and not providing more support to the relegated NEAFL clubs.

Anyway seems like common sense prevailed

I see the AFL have pulled the pin on the NQ NEAFL team. Probably a wise move, they would get wasted. And it was one thing that didn't sit well with me the afl putting 400k per year into that team and not providing more support to the relegated NEAFL clubs.

Anyway seems like common sense prevailed

I am avoiding the term relegated. The way I am looking at the situation is the 6 Allied Pickford Clubs have been elevated to the QAFL to join Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Broadbeach and Labrador. The 3 clubs playing in the 2014 NEAFL chose to apply for a new comp which in my opinion will be burn up precious financial resources for no long term benefit to anyone!

E
I am avoiding the term relegated. The way I am looking at the situation is the 6 Allied Pickford Clubs have been elevated to the QAFL to join Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Broadbeach and Labrador. The 3 clubs playing in the 2014 NEAFL chose to apply for a new comp which in my opinion will be burn up precious financial resources for no long term benefit to anyone!
.except to afl, suns, lions, swans and GWS!

Interesting that the player voted best in the comp by the umpires finished 9th in his clubs band f !!!

Yes Doc, I also noted in the same article that Cleve Hughes has retired for this year to put more time into his studies, I did not realise there was a University at Aspley????

Does anyone else agree that a possibility of an AFL reserves comp may help the NEAFL?
There is big debate in the SANFL about having AFL stand alone clubs, and in the VFL a lot of players are starved of opportunity because of the affiliations.

They won't put the interstate clubs into a 2's comp I reckon - miles too much expense attached. This is the compromise obviously. If you wanted an opportunity Phil why would you go to an AFL affiliated club?? I think Frankston has had the most players drafted / listed in recent years and they have been very average on field. I reckon its more about changing your mind set as to what you gauge as success once the AFL sides come in. I can understand why the AFL clubs want their own teams but bottom line is they are bloody strong relative to the club sides, even in SA I imagine. (probably not quite the disparity though that we have here)

In the SANFL they are only just introducing AFL seconds teams next year.
And the argument about AFL teams being to strong isn't right, Port Melbourne have been the strongest VFL team over the last 3 years and they are stand alone.
The AFL and clubs would be able to afford the travel expenses, (you only need to look at the tv rights) and this could create more interest in competitions such as the NEAFL and VFL as they are traditional comps. The SANFL still generates crowds that would equal some NRL games, and I believe this is because the competition has maintained its traditionalism

The SANFL is the best non AFL comp in the land imo. I agree with everything you have said about it BUT I'm not sure how the SANFL will be diminished by 2 AFL sides coming in except it will dilute the playing personnel a bit. Unlike Qld, there is a mountain of far better footballers underneath this top crop which therefore will sustain a decent competition.
I don't reckon the AFL clubs would be able to sustain the travel expenses - more than half the current AFL sides will post a loss this year, tack on say another $500K for i/state away games for 2's (Vic teams), closer to $1 million for i/state teams I'm not sure they would consider that a good investment on return.
BTW - some country leagues would equal NRL attendances...:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back