Opinion 2013 Player Review

I think Roos would be silly to not at least offer him around. The boy has talent, but still no fitness after what was a fairly solid run over the past few years (I think, maybe an ankle injury if anything).

Say what you want about the Neeld kryptonite influence but he was given a fair few chances and still couldn't hold his spot.

Notice how I said boy there... He still plays and looks like a first year player.

I'm not against keeping him, but if we can get a young genuine midfield type in exchange for him I will wish him well and be pleased with the deal.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeh he hasn't come on and frankly, doesn't look remotely near it yet.

Definitely not the type of player that I would have thought fits the Roos game style either.

That said, havnt heard anything to substantiate it yet so let's wait and see.

Matt Davies

Rookie
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Someone on the main board is suggesting Blease had been told he's not required by Roos.

Unconfirmed, and I don't know if this means delisted.

Roos in his article on MFC 2014 list had blease on a wing and spoke about wanting to see what he can deliver so highly doubt that

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Someone on the main board is suggesting Blease had been told he's not required by Roos.

Unconfirmed, and I don't know if this means delisted.

Blease is contracted for next year, we can't delist him, so the only way would be to trade him.

My take on it was that he questioned whether Blease has been underdeveloped, or was he just not up to AFL standard.

I didn't think it was a positive comment at all.

He said that he'd love to give him multiple games in a row at AFL level - remember we were all pretty high on Blease last year, he'd had a solid year after his first AFL pre-season.

This year he missed the last month and a half of pre-season, was thrown into round one and was constantly in one week and out the next.

Don't think we'd get anything of worth for him.

I don't think Roos will be moving Blease on this off season. He's probably in the same basket as players such as Strauss and Tapscott - give them a solid run of games in 2014 to prove their worth. If they can't cut the mustard with that oppourtunity, then it's time to part ways with them at the end of next season.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The problem with blease is he hasn't appeared to get any fitter since his first two years and if you take away his pace he doesn't offer much else , he isn't super clean and most of the time when he kicks he is running so fast he messes it up , I'm willing to give him a chance but I would trust a better judge in Roos

The problem with blease is he hasn't appeared to get any fitter since his first two years and if you take away his pace he doesn't offer much else , he isn't super clean and most of the time when he kicks he is running so fast he messes it up , I'm willing to give him a chance but I would trust a better judge in Roos

You mean the two years he missed with a horribly broken leg? o_O

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's the midfielders medal these days - so whilst humiliating, this isn't surprising given our current midfield.

Wow - even Tom Scully got 5 Brownlow votes this season (10 career votes).

Pretty incredible how Watts has received all the scrutiny when Trengove has only managed 1 Brownlow vote in his whole career (Watts has 7 to date).

Wow - even Tom Scully got 5 Brownlow votes this season (10 career votes).

Pretty incredible how Watts has received all the scrutiny when Trengove has only managed 1 Brownlow vote in his whole career (Watts has 7 to date).

Unfortunately for Watts, it's a symptom of him being the poster boy of our lost generation.

He can't keep living off that excuse forever.

No, but you can't say he hasn't improve his fitness since his first two years considering he couldn't run - wasn't that what I was questioning?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
No, but you can't say he hasn't improve his fitness since his first two years considering he couldn't run - wasn't that what I was questioning?

sorry i ment his first 2 years of being fit, he has the same level of fitness it would appear since his debut game

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
sorry i ment his first 2 years of being fit, he has the same level of fitness it would appear since his debut game

Got to agree there. Not sure he managed anything more than a decent 10 odd minutes of football per game this season (and he had a fair share of completely anonymous games). Doesn't say much for our fitness staff if they can't get a guy fit enough to play a decent quarter of football. If it's not the fitness, then it says less about Blease. Don't think he knows how to impose himself on a game, and in this side he's not going to get many cheap handouts.

I'd like to see us hang on to him this year and see if Roos can coax some consistent performances out of him, but if he was offered up for trade or delisted I can understand why.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roos had said something along the lines of 'with your current fitness levels - you won't be able to play the role I want you to' - I doubt he'd be cutting a talented player before he'd given him a chance.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wouldn't be surprised if Roos had said something along the lines of 'with your current fitness levels - you won't be able to play the role I want you to' - I doubt he'd be cutting a talented player before he'd given him a chance.

We can hope. I do recall comments about fitness and all those Norf players, so while I think he has time for role players, if you don't have the basic requisite of being able to run out a match, I don't think that person will be getting game time under Roos.

May 8, 2011
loɔɐʇıou:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
More importantly ... How the hell were we twenty points up on freo

I was wondering that too. Post Traumatic Season Disorder has set in to the point where I can't actually remember any of our results from the Neeld era but I'm going to assume we lost pitifully in the end.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I was wondering that too. Post Traumatic Season Disorder has set in to the point where I can't actually remember any of our results from the Neeld era but I'm going to assume we lost pitifully in the end.

I reckon I double taked that scoreboard at least five times trying to see how I missed the 1 in front of freos 50

Back