Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
So there's some pretty radical changes coming to the NEAFL next year. They're cutting the number of conferences from 2 to 1 and the number of teams from 19 to 14. I only really watched the NEAFL Eastern in 2011, not so much since. I'd be really interested in the thoughts of NEAFL board regulars on this.

Who misses out? do they deserve it? What happens to them, where will they play? Will it be a good move in the long run? How will your team be affected?

cheers

Ichabod all the information about participating teams is already on the NEAFL website

http://bit.ly/1eZ0HhE

Yeah I got all of the mechanics. I was wondering about how it affects things from a fan/supporters viewpoint. Winners and losers etc. I don't know enough about the competition, relative strengths and weaknesses. It seems lik only Tuggeranong has gone from the eastern while four are gone from Queensland. I'd be interested to know what you think about it all.

I think its a necessary step in the development of the NEAFL. Conference system was never really going to be sustainable.
Though I wouldn't have minded to see the NEAFL split into a first division/second division league set up with promotion/relegation, rather than kicking out the 4 Qld teams + Tuggers. That way all teams could've remained within the NEAFL structure, and further expansion into NQ/Riverina/Illawarra/Hunter/Sunshine Coast could've occurred with the regional teams starting in the 2nd div.
But that's just a pipe dream now anyway, the league structure they're establishing now is still very good IMO.

So how will a 14 team comp work? Everyone plays 9 teams twice and 4 teams once for a 22 match regular season? Top six finals system?

Bullshit.
Sydney Uni never belonged, should've taken the opportunity to ditch them and bring in Pennant Hills and/or North Shore.
Id give the new comp 2 years max, uni and eagles be suprised if they still there then and whether act teams will want to be, it is funny this restructure as it now has 8 teams from south and 6 in north.

The 8/6 split is odd. I guess it leaves the door open for Cairns and Townsville teams down the track.

One more league the AFL seem confused with:rolleyes:.
I wonder if they would have done better just having two separate leagues, A Qld based & an ACT/NSW one. Two 8 team comps would be easier & more economic to run.
Otherwise make it an elite comp with 1 ACT, 1 sydney + Swans & Giants. then GC + 1 local coast club, Lions + 1 Brisbane local club.
Dragging 14 clubs around seems an overly expensive operation.

Yes, its expensive but its NSW and Qld. Money can be spent in the north-east.
Its not a declining market where the AFL already controls everything (including the government to a large extent) like Tasmania is.

One more league the AFL seem confused with:rolleyes:.
I wonder if they would have done better just having two separate leagues, A Qld based & an ACT/NSW one. Two 8 team comps would be easier & more economic to run.
Otherwise make it an elite comp with 1 ACT, 1 sydney + Swans & Giants. then GC + 1 local coast club, Lions + 1 Brisbane local club.
Dragging 14 clubs around seems an overly expensive operation.
I'd be staggered if it's not that in 3 years time. With NQ & NT so it becomes the 4 AFL sides, 1 Brisbane, 1 GC, 1 Sydney, 1 ACT, 1 NT, 1 NQ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nsw act and qld comps been compromised by this comp to prop up the reserve grade teams and put nothing but a financial strain on all clubs involved.

nsw act and qld comps been compromised by this comp to prop up the reserve grade teams and put nothing but a financial strain on all clubs involved.
Spot on! How long do you think local clubs can throw massive amounts of money to participate in a comp they kmow they probably can't win? Lions win by 8 goals, Swans by 9. GWS & Suns to be stronger, full lists.....what hope the community club!,, The novelty of the comp, guys taking days off work to travel, whilst the full time afl players enjoy fully professional set up, will surely dwindle.Will any Nsw/act non afl clubs even play finals next year?..

Spot on! How long do you think local clubs can throw massive amounts of money to participate in a comp they kmow they probably can't win? Lions win by 8 goals, Swans by 9. GWS & Suns to be stronger, full lists.....what hope the community club!,, The novelty of the comp, guys taking days off work to travel, whilst the full time afl players enjoy fully professional set up, will surely dwindle.Will any Nsw/act non afl clubs even play finals next year?..

In answer to the first question, probably as long as pokies remain profitable.
In all honesty I'm looking forward to this new comp and seeing just how far the local clubs can progress and develop their players in more professional environments. I think it's a cop out to just say that players not in the AFL system can't compete. I think other state leagues have shown that to not be the case and hopefully the lift in training standards alone will bridge the gap and more players get discovered from QLD to get their chance on the big stage.
Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting huge improvement in 2014 while teams adjust to the new environments and discover the best way to do things, but I think over a matter of years it will slowly close the gap.
I don't think a national reserve grade comp will happen for quite a while. Too many teams already being propped up by the AFL without needing to find all the extra resources for another national team.

How do you think clubs like Broadbeach, Labrador, felt playing in the "old" comp Yesterday?? They kept saddling up each year. Reckon Aspley/Southport/Redlands (long stretch to call some of these "community clubs" as well btw) might have their goals adjusted to producing draftable players rather than winning premierships.

Any words of signings for next year? I hear Southport are going pretty hard at plenty. Anyone put pen to paper yet?

The 8/6 split is odd. I guess it leaves the door open for Cairns and Townsville teams down the track.

There will never be a separate Cairns and Townsville Team in the NEAFL

for one Townsville couldn't afford it to be on their own and their comp is ----------

Cairns had the money to stand alone, but the QAFL wanted 3 others to join them (McKay , Rocky, T'ville) and Cairns was -------well unwilling to share their money as they wouldn't be in control of the club and it wasn't going to be based here but down South.

All very quiet on the NEAFL front not many signatures yet it seems. Even NT not making any announcements I thought they would go hard after an ordinary season although their top priority will be their coach at the moment. Same can probably be said for Southport although I've heard they had a few Labrador boys commit.

Any other news?

Any word on the B&F and other winners from the Aspley and Broadbeach clubs held last week end? These two clubs must be really proud of their players achievements through out the year, as they have not even posted the results on their web pages.

what a rubbish post

Why is this so damochandler???

Southport posted the results of their award winners the day after the event, unless both clubs are doing a Clive Palmer and having a re-count, one would have thought they would be proud to let their supporters and all followers of NEAFL footy at large, who was voted their best and fairest player and even their top 10 vote getters, maybe for all of their perceived faults, Southport in this case are I little more Professional than others when it comes to information sharing, which is unusual as the both clubs mentioned earlier who have not posted their winners to date, are usually very big at blowing their own trumpets.

Why is this so damochandler???

Southport posted the results of their award winners the day after the event, unless both clubs are doing a Clive Palmer and having a re-count, one would have thought they would be proud to let their supporters and all followers of NEAFL footy at large, who was voted their best and fairest player and even their top 10 vote getters, maybe for all of their perceived faults, Southport in this case are I little more Professional than others when it comes to information sharing, which is unusual as the both clubs mentioned earlier who have not posted their winners to date, are usually very big at blowing their own trumpets.

christ all mighty. making a big deal over nothing. not unusual on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back