Jonathon Patton vs Tom Boyd vs Joe Daniher vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniher's main problem so far is his set shots at goal....had some absolute shockers, hopefully settles down and he gets used to playing at AFL level and gets used to the pressure levels.

Liam McBean out performed Joe Danniher in the VFL.

McBean kicked 37 goals in 14 games and gained 10kgs in one year, 202cms tall.

Watch this space...
Can you please show me where McBean was an option in the OP?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I forget who it was that said it, but around this time last year someone (from the draft combine/ camp?) said that Daniher would have been top 2 in any of the last 12 drafts, and was Judd and Scully level in terms of a junior (which is strange because Judd went at #3). Moreover The Age ranked the best kids of that draft, and had Daniher as #1 ahead of Whitfield and possible even Omeara if he was included.

Point is the hype surrounding Daniher this time last year was massive. He was meant to be better than Patton in every which way imaginable. It happens every year tho. Draftees are hyped up like a rolling snowball gaining momentum, only to vanish when said draftee begins to play in the AFL. Daniher was the most hyped up kid I can remember (granted I've only been following the game with a close eye a few years), yet now nobody talks about him. I don't think Boyd or Hogan have been hyped up quite as much as Daniher was (although each has earned a considerable amount), yet my point is we'll never really know until they begin to fulfil their potential in 5+ years time.

If you watch our game against Gold Coast, Daniher absolutely dominated the first half against kids around his age. iirc he had more contested marks than the entire GC team, 3 goals and ~15 possies in just two quarters. Give a few preseasons and he'll be doing that consistently.

What happened with him tho? Why'd he play so few games? I remember when he finally debuted he play 2/3 in a row and then vanished for weeks

He is. He's an up and coming KPP prospect like the rest listed, he's just the one who will actually come good. Just watch Jack Riewoldt talk about him, watch Richo talk about him, people at Tigerland haven't seen someone like him ever.

He came in as a scrawny 83k 202cm ruck prospect. His work ethic is brilliant, he weighs in at 95kgs after one year and dominated at VFL level.

Kicked more goals, took more marks, had more goal assists than Joe Danniher and he is at the same age as Joe, so to me, McBean (who was when first drafted called McBeanPole) will be the player that people are expecting Danniher will be.

I have doubts over Patton and Essendon has talked about Danniher to the point of exhaustion like they did with Gumbleton, Ryder, Hurley, yawn, yawn, yawn...What happened to those Jack Riewoldt Vs. Michael Hurley comparisons? Jack continues to kick 60 goals a year, have the MOST goal assists in the AFL and Essendon's ******ation has caused them to overpay an overrated player that was oddly compared to a two time coleman medalist, b&f winner and all australian only because he beat him on the day once.

What's the result? He's overpaid, you bought into your own hype, I don't think Essendon will ever understand...We have a better player and we're paying him less :p

Same will happen with McBean.

Do you read the thread title? Nice rant but not even close to being relevant.

Patton is going to surprise a lot of people in the next couple of years... Followed him closely as a junior and once he recovers from his knee, he'll be one to look out for. Has the size, great hands, good kick and the great thing about him is that he's so mobile for his size. Expecting him to dominate sooner rather than later.

Mobility is cruelest by knee injures, look at palmer. Patton has the biggest question marks for sure.

Joe Daniher has better AFL first year possession and mark stats than the following list of players:

Lance Franklin
Jarryd Roughead
Nick Riewoldt
Jack Riewoldt
Jeremy Cameron
Travis Cloke
Josh Kennedy
Drew Petrie
Matthey Pavlich
Jonathon Brown
Tom Hawkins
Kurt Tippet

I can't be bothered looking it up. How many games did they play year 1. That certainly be a factor as young players can fade easily in year 1.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk now Free

He is. He's an up and coming KPP prospect like the rest listed, he's just the one who will actually come good. Just watch Jack Riewoldt talk about him, watch Richo talk about him, people at Tigerland haven't seen someone like him ever.

He came in as a scrawny 83k 202cm ruck prospect. His work ethic is brilliant, he weighs in at 95kgs after one year and dominated at VFL level.

Kicked more goals, took more marks, had more goal assists than Joe Danniher and he is at the same age as Joe, so to me, McBean (who was when first drafted called McBeanPole) will be the player that people are expecting Danniher will be.

I have doubts over Patton and Essendon has talked about Danniher to the point of exhaustion like they did with Gumbleton, Ryder, Hurley, yawn, yawn, yawn...What happened to those Jack Riewoldt Vs. Michael Hurley comparisons? Jack continues to kick 60 goals a year, have the MOST goal assists in the AFL and Essendon's ******ation has caused them to overpay an overrated player that was oddly compared to a two time coleman medalist, b&f winner and all australian only because he beat him on the day once.

What's the result? He's overpaid, you bought into your own hype, I don't think Essendon will ever understand...We have a better player and we're paying him less :p

Same will happen with McBean.

Be honest. How many times have you seen McBean play?

VFL stats are known for being no where near accurate. They've gotten the goal kickers wrong on occasion so I'm not sure how you can quote a statistic like goal assists. McBean is a nice prospect but he won't be included in these polls until he shows something at AFL level because he didn't show a lot as a junior.

Hurley's overpaid because both GWS and GC offered him a truck load of money so Essendon had to come to the party or lose him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back