Opinion Destruction of the Shinboner Spirit- REBORN 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

So where does Shinboner Spirit sit in the context of yesterday's win? We started as underdogs and most of our supporters were pretty nervous. The broader media knows we are better than our ladder position suggests but also thinks the Tigers are superior.

I have no contacts at the club at all, but I can just about guarantee Scott's management of the team this week would not have involved invoking the Shinboner Spirit. I mean, just consider how stubborn he allegedly is: why would he backtrack from his previous stance on the issue?

The Shinboner Spirit was equally relevant yesterday as it was against the Suns, Dockers and Crows (that is to say, irrelevant). Of course, we have to vent about something after a loss, and if we can vent about an intangible and immeasurable quantity then all the better I suppose.

So why aren't we discussing the destruction of the Shinboner Spirit today? Is it a matter of principle (and therefore applies win, lose or draw, and should be discussed ad nauseum), or is just a convenient vent topic? My guess is the latter.

Spirit was definitely there on Saturday, mentioned on the banner and on plenty of signs in our crowd :thumbsu:

IMHO its contested mids able to step up in the contest when the heat is on.

Its got SFA to do with Shinboner Spirit.

It has everything to do with Ziebs, Cunners, Spitta, Levi and Patch.

Add to that we have a quick defensive mid in Hine who shut out one of their main runners.

It's been too much for too few for too long.

These blokes in form will go a hell of a long way to win games.

Do you think it is the talent combination 'clicking'...or is it a state of mind....I cant figure out why our tackle rates were up on Saturday....shouldn't that be a consistent theme every week for all players...?

Do you think it is the talent combination 'clicking'...or is it a state of mind....I cant figure out why our tackle rates were up on Saturday....shouldn't that be a consistent theme every week for all players...?

I reckon it was all of it.

Tef's meat grinder.

Patch's form.

Hines game.

A potent and unpredictable forward line

The confidence that Lachie give the team taking big contested marks in the back half.

And a knowledge that a loss meant it was all over, it was as big of a backs to the wall game as we have had.

It needs to be the standard. 4 quarters of that effort and desire to keep working and working and working, we will take it up to every team in the league if we work as hard as we did Saturday.

Shouldnt this thread be titled 'Return of the Shinboner Spirit':):thumbsu:

There was no destruction or resurrection. 22 talented footballers worked hard and won a game of football. Nothing more than that.

But it's sexier & more heartwarming to say the 'Shinboner Spirit' has returned;):thumbsu:

The funny thing about the Shinboner Spirit is that it purports to summon an intangible force of nature first apparent in the halcyon days of the late 1920s and early 1930s. My lord, we were a force to be reckoned with back then.

The funny thing about the Shinboner Spirit is that it purports to summon an intangible force of nature first apparent in the halcyon days of the late 1920s and early 1930s. My lord, we were a force to be reckoned with back then.
Yep. I recall a Jim Main article in the late 90's or early 00's noting the myth of the Shinboner Spirit and how much more successful we'd been since we became the Kangaroos.

UYI's point, lost in the squabbling, I think is that culture is there all the time. But, to pick up on Gaso's point, then what is that culture if we are capable of such a range of performances? My sense is that Brad has instilled a learning culture, out of which the players can create their own on-field culture. If they're learning well, they'll learn for themselves what they need to do on-field, rather than be revved up with "Let's see some Shinboner Spirit!".

And, as I've said countless times, learning isn't linear; there are ups and downs, leaps forward and setbacks. But, if the learning culture is there, they'll learn from each up and each down.

I said it in another thread (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...e-return-of-the-spirit.1013650/#post-28775151) - Brad Scott's comments on the Shinboner spirit have been largely misinterpreted. All he said - before he even coached his first game - was that if Shinboners meant honest battlers, then he wasn't going to accept that. He was echoing the sentiment that you hear a lot on this board, that he wants North Melbourne to be seen as a destination that players can feel happy about arriving at, that our facilities and footy department would be first rate.

But subsequently, even when he doesn't mention it by name, subbies plug "Shinboner Spirit" into the headline. He comes out after we fall short and says "anyone who's associated with North Melbourne has an unbelievable responsibility to uphold the tradition and the culture and the fight that is synonymous with this football club [but] we want to start grinding sides into the ground ourselves" and he's labelled as attacking shinboner spirit.

Personally, I want our guys to win because they're good enough and have the belief, not because they went to some mythical well for an injection of heart. Let's have the fight when we're up against it, but let's not be defined by it.

Have a listen to Derwayne at the start of the third quarter. Evidentially we were showing plenty of SHITboner Spirit. Knowing this flog it wasn't just a slip of the tongue? It's just before the bounce down before the 3rd quarter after Eddie gives Jason McCartney a big wrap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a listen to Derwayne at the start of the third quarter. Evidentially we were showing plenty of SHITboner Spirit. Knowing this flog it wasn't just a slip of the tongue? It's just before the bounce down before the 3rd quarter after Eddie gives Jason McCartney a big wrap.

Was he a late inclusion?:D

That's better....a flicker of something tonight....dug deep...JZ....you the man.

Its there mate, the kids struggle to carry it at times but its there.

When they are mature it'll flow.

I dont know if it is destruction or demotion...but even in the gloom of the 2000's, you could be rest assured that NMFC would dig deep and nail a team and not let them back in, or alternatively come from behind and have a showing.

The SS has taken a back seat at this club in the past few years and that ethos is eroding that mental edge that the Archers and Stevens built into this team as a legacy.

The only resolve in such loses is to think back to Collingwood in the mid 2000's who suffered similar heartbreaking loses, but only made them stronger as a team.

My good friend jozeph has been on this issue of the breaking of the SS, and I have come to the conclusion that the mental edge of toughness has been lost in this team with an attitude that can only be described as 'choking'.

Good teams have an ethos.

What does this team stand for as of tonight?

Scott obviously reads BF. o_O

8:29
NMFC.com.au:
Scott: It's time we reclaim what being a Shinboner means.

Monday October 7, 2013 8:29 NMFC.com.au
8:30
NMFC.com.au:
Scott: It's been associated with a club that's been downtrodden...no longer. We are about redefining what it means.

Monday October 7, 2013 8:30 NMFC.com.au
8:30
NMFC.com.au:
Scott: We'll take back the Shinboner Spirit as a club, as supporters and we'll reclaim it in our own way and not let it get hijacked by the media.

Gasometer, that part you have quoted there is exactly what Scott has been on about since the beginning.
Yep, wasn't happy that the term "Shinboner Spirit" generally referred to "cash strapped" by the media and soured our wins. After hearing a few players talk tonight, it's well and truly alive.

Great club, great culture.

Yep, wasn't happy that the term "Shinboner Spirit" generally referred to "cash strapped" by the media and soured our wins. After hearing a few players talk tonight, it's well and truly alive.

Great club, great culture.
Anybody who actually listened to that speech at the the 2009 Syd Barker heard Scott say that our culture is good, but it needs to evolve. It is only the really dumb supporters and Scott haters who interpreted that speech as "destruction of the Shinboner Spirit".

Sounds to me Scott is bactracking.

Sounds to me Scott is bactracking.
No,he is screwing up the temperature on the players. Using his own words, his own speech and twisting it in a way where he is shaping it in a way where the players think its an "us against them" attitude. Next year physically our players are ready, a natural progress but its the extra 5% is where he is hoping to find is from the mental approach our players take into every game---> hatred/anger, killer attitude if you will.
Its definitely the area we can improve on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back