Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
He's not someone I admire by any stretch. However, I'd like to know what was true and what wasn't about his criminal history - what was proven, what was probably true and what was false. I suspect plenty of what we hear was false.

Nice to see ya bald patch is gone Keithy... Nah suits you mate :thumbsu:

I'm a huge fan of the bloke. not exactly sad to see him pass, but he wouldn't want sympathy anyway. funny bloke and damn good writer.

RIP Mark Brandon Read

Like others here, not a fan of the fact that his infamy is a result of his criminal past but had heard anecdotes that he was an approachable local around Collingwood who was more or less reformed. Didn't realised that he refused a liver transplant, saying that he didn't deserve one. Takes a lot of balls to not want to cheat death

His books were entertaining - I read a few of them - but I took most of it with a grain of salt. The stuff contained in his early books seems to have been more accurate than the later stuff, much of which seemed to be almost pure fiction.

His books were entertaining - I read a few of them - but I took most of it with a grain of salt. The stuff contained in his early books seems to have been more accurate than the later stuff, much of which seemed to be almost pure fiction.

That synopsis seem to be the same take one of the police officers writing for today’s HS took. That copper could spin a yarn and as the years went by the yarn got bigger.

That synopsis seem to be the same take one of the police officers writing for today’s HS took. That copper could spin a yarn and as the years went by the yarn got bigger.

Initially he probably only thought there'd be a book or two in it for him - so I reckon he used most of his repertoire up in them. After that it was fantasy time - it read that way anyway.

The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the flogging he copped from Derryn Hinch. Derryn should know by now that he has to be extremely careful about what he says about others in the media. Sure Chopper had various firearms charges against him and was always in trouble but he certainly was an icon in this world. What Derryn Hinch doesn't realise is that Chopper Read was somebody's father, Somebody's husband and somebody's best mate who has now passed away from cancer. Time to respect.

His initial estimate of deaths that he'd been involved in was something like 19, which I think he revised to 4-7. I've only read his first three or four books and I reckon who would have gone well over that kill count just in the yarns from those. I'm tipping a lot of it was made up, or borrowed from other crooks. He had a great alibi: that he couldn't use names or places because he didn't want an investigation being opened. Plenty of his stories seemed like pure unadulterated bullshit to me, but then again I (and most of his audience) don't come from that world, so what would we know?

I did like the chapters that he wrote on specific underworld figures and crimes though, his perspective on those things was always pretty interesting.

I'm pretty neutral towards Chopper, don't have much time for the Chopper fanbois though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't murdered so why is this on the crime board?

Hard one to judge. Seems a completely loose cannon in his younger years, as evidenced by his complete inability to st y out of jail.

But seems to have made a decision to leave that life and some stage, and instead become a figure of entertainment. Which he did do with a fair degree of success, leaving crime behind. I guess you could almost say he rehabilitated, in his own way.

Had no doubt many of his tales are exaggerated or invented, but I think it's probably part of that process. His new life was to entertain so he had to deliver.

Hard one to judge. Seems a completely loose cannon in his younger years, as evidenced by his complete inability to st y out of jail.

But seems to have made a decision to leave that life and some stage, and instead become a figure of entertainment. Which he did do with a fair degree of success, leaving crime behind. I guess you could almost say he rehabilitated, in his own way.

Had no doubt many of his tales are exaggerated or invented, but I think it's probably part of that process. His new life was to entertain so he had to deliver.

I think people would have attended his show purely out of his notoriety. He toured with people like Mark "Jacko" Jackson, Roger Rogerson and Warwick Capper.

I read a book by a guy who was once Chopper Read's bodyguard - Mark 'Hammer' Dixon - and he used to travel to those shows with him. In the book Dixon says Chopper often gambled away most of the takings and he sometimes struggled to get paid as a result.

I think people would have attended his show purely out of his notoriety. He toured with people like Mark "Jacko" Jackson, Roger Rogerson and Warwick Capper.

I read a book by a guy who was once Chopper Read's bodyguard - Mark 'Hammer' Dixon - and he used to travel to those shows with him. In the book Dixon says Chopper often gambled away most of the takings and he sometimes struggled to get paid as a result.

I saw his show with Jacko many years ago. Chopper came on last and was pretty pissed... he spoke reasonably well though, despite what some would think of the subject matter - some would find it funny, others repulsive.

Jacko stole the show though, absolutely hilarious. A lot of great stories from his football days.

Fair few crime fanboys there. Chopper did a Q&A and there were blokes, it was like they were meeting the Queen or the President. Not to mention bidding wars for Chopper "memorabilia", many of which ran into the thousands.

I saw his show with Jacko many years ago. Chopper came on last and was pretty pissed... he spoke reasonably well though, despite what some would think of the subject matter - some would find it funny, others repulsive.

Jacko stole the show though, absolutely hilarious. A lot of great stories from his football days.

Fair few crime fanboys there. Chopper did a Q&A and there were blokes, it was like they were meeting the Queen or the President. Not to mention bidding wars for Chopper "memorabilia", many of which ran into the thousands.

In his book “Hammer Bash for Cash”, Mark 'Hammer' Dixon described Roger Rogerson as "his childhood hero" and said when he met him he was "absolutely awestruck".

Some of us have more unusual personal heroes than others I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back