NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

At a players meeting last night Matt Lokan told the players he would not be staying with the Belconnen Magpies next season. He is returning to his home town of Adelaide. Lokan has done a terrific job with the playing group, taking them from near the bottom of the ladder a couple of years ago to the eastern conference final this year. No news yet as to a replacement, the position will be advertised in the near future.

At a players meeting last night Matt Lokan told the players he would not be staying with the Belconnen Magpies next season. He is returning to his home town of Adelaide. Lokan has done a terrific job with the playing group, taking them from near the bottom of the ladder a couple of years ago to the eastern conference final this year. No news yet as to a replacement, the position will be advertised in the near future.

Report just in is that Logan was asked to take a 50% pay cut of his current package??? Any truth NW

Also my mail is that Harris has also gone as all players told they need to take 50% pay cut.

This is not a dig at BMFC as I reckon given the current state of the competition most clubs will struggle financially to survive.

Report just in is that Logan was asked to take a 50% pay cut of his current package??? Any truth NW

Also my mail is that Harris has also gone as all players told they need to take 50% pay cut.

This is not a dig at BMFC as I reckon given the current state of the competition most clubs will struggle financially to survive.
agreed, new comp will not be sustainable, just a question of time. stronger clubs will go for longer but the rest will struggle and struggle in a big way

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris leaves. Good mates with Lokan. Money aside I would have expected if Lokan left Harris would.

Lokan initially took the role with Belco as a development role to get some credentials up with the goal to move home to Adelaide and get into a good coaching gig there. With what he's done at Belco it'll look good on his CV. Moving home with a young family will no doubt be a big bonus too.

As far as being asked to take 50% pay cuts I don't know if that's true. The club has had a meeting with players explaining the financial situation and asking any players willing to take voluntary pay cuts to let the club know. As far as speaking with specific players regarding specific amounts I wouldn't know.

All players must be looking at the brave new NEAFL and weighing up the extra travel, extra training committment, more time off work/studies, and then deciding whether it's all worth it...especially if they are asked to take a 50% paycut too !
Looks as if Lokan, Shane Harris, Kav, Buchanan, Draga (?) and the whole Tuggeranong team have decided that they don't want to be involved anymore.
Who can blame them ?

The profits of the pokies are going to be gobbled up in taxis, airfares and accomodation

All players must be looking at the brave new NEAFL and weighing up the extra travel, extra training committment, more time off work/studies, and then deciding whether it's all worth it...especially if they are asked to take a 50% paycut too !
Looks as if Lokan, Shane Harris, Kav, Buchanan, Draga (?) and the whole Tuggeranong team have decided that they don't want to be involved anymore.
Who can blame them ?

The profits of the pokies are going to be gobbled up in taxis, airfares and accomodation

Sorry Im confused, why is it all of the sudden so expensive this NEAFL caper in 2014 compared to 2012? Dont the AFL pay for all travel and accom where required for up to 26 or 27 club players/staff?? I think the Canberra clubs have a case of we are happy to be in a top tier State league comp but dont want to invest too much to be competetive, just give us it all on a platter. My club have jumped from Sydney AFL to revamped NEAFL in 3 years - our budget and spend has quadrupled but we arent whingeing - its what it takes to be part of it surely?

Lets also remember that Tuggeranong didnt pull out of NEAFL , they were virtually shoved by not meeting necessary criteria. Their old NEAFL standard players will bob up at other NEAFL clubs dont you worry. They want to be involved.

Re Belconnen, someone involved at Giants up here who has links to that club indicated that Belconnen asked their players and staff not to be paid for finals games as the budget was blown for 2013 after last round?? So makes sense if they are now saying to players they need to watch budget and ask for cuts in player payments for 2014. 3 weeks ago in same conversation this person was 100% confident that Lokan would coach Belconnen and suggested a 3 year deal was on cards.
His departure suggests the massive pay cuts rumour would be true and anyone told to take a 50% cut would walk for sure ..... dare say they will lose some interstaters too who probably only are there for big pay cheque for footy

Must say I am looking forward to the NEAFL in 2014 , it will be a much tougher, higher standard and as a club the Eagles are looking forward to the challenge no matter the cost !!

Bring it on !!

The economic climate in 2012 was not as bad as what we have just seen this year. Once the election was announced in Feb the decline in spending confidence was evident immediately (and is still occuring).

Confidence was low amongst Canberrans as was security, particularly in the Public Service. So with spending low, social clubs did not have the public cash injection, no cash through social clubs cause budgets to be cut through football departments.

This obviously effects sponsorships within clubs, with businesses not being able to provide the same support as they did due to less money walking through their doors.

In the case of Belconnen you must remember they have just spent a lot of money on their new Oval.

In short a club is given a pool of money, each year they take money out. But with less coming in, cuts have to be made or eventually that pool will run out.

I've heard O'wyer and Brabazon have walked from Eastlake for similar reasons....

Rumour is to Syd Uni?

Sorry Im confused, why is it all of the sudden so expensive this NEAFL caper in 2014 compared to 2012? Dont the AFL pay for all travel and accom where required for up to 26 or 27 club players/staff?? My club have jumped from Sydney AFL to revamped NEAFL in 3 years - our budget and spend has quadrupled but we arent whingeing - its what it takes to be part of it surely?

Lets also remember that Tuggeranong didnt pull out of NEAFL , they were virtually shoved by not meeting necessary criteria. Their old NEAFL standard players will bob up at other NEAFL clubs dont you worry. They want to be involved.

Re Belconnen, someone involved at Giants up here who has links to that club indicated that Belconnen asked their players and staff not to be paid for finals games as the budget was blown for 2013 after last round?? So makes sense if they are now saying to players they need to watch budget and ask for cuts in player payments for 2014. 3 weeks ago in same conversation this person was 100% confident that Lokan would coach Belconnen and suggested a 3 year deal was on cards.
His departure suggests the massive pay cuts rumour would be true and anyone told to take a 50% cut would walk for sure ..... dare say they will lose some interstaters too who probably only are there for big pay cheque for footy

Must say I am looking forward to the NEAFL in 2014 , it will be a much tougher, higher standard and as a club the Eagles are looking forward to the challenge no matter the cost !!

Bring it on !!

The way it was put to me was that the League would underwrite foundation clubs for three years, and then it was all up for review...well, three years is up and we can all see the rationalisation and streamlining that is now taking place. It even reaches up to the Thunder whose coach is now moving on.
The SHEagles and SydUni have another year to go in their honeymoon period, so I can understand that the Eagles are still pretty up-beat in the way that you outline.
But, of course, you might be in the loop at the Eagles, and I sure am not. So I'm happy to accept your version of things if you say so.

But there's no doubt that money is rearing its ugly head in NEAFL at this time. I've always believed that the NEAFL was going to be a go-er but now I'm not so sure. It seems more and more that the League is just looking for classy witches hats to be used by the AFL teams, and will take any local team willing to put up their hand and dream of being successful.
And I wonder more and more just what's in it for the local clubs, and the sponsors, to be in it - using up valuable funds, recruiting gold-diggers, burning out local kids, volunteers, sponsors with the committment required to be ambitious.

But there's no doubt that money is rearing its ugly head in NEAFL at this time. I've always believed that the NEAFL was going to be a go-er but now I'm not so sure. It seems more and more that the League is just looking for classy witches hats to be used by the AFL teams, and will take any local team willing to put up their hand and dream of being successful.
And I wonder more and more just what's in it for the local clubs, and the sponsors, to be in it - using up valuable funds, recruiting gold-diggers, burning out local kids, volunteers, sponsors with the committment required to be ambitious.

Agree :thumbsu:

The way it was put to me was that the League would underwrite foundation clubs for three years, and then it was all up for review...well, three years is up and we can all see the rationalisation and streamlining that is now taking place. It even reaches up to the Thunder whose coach is now moving on.
The SHEagles and SydUni have another year to go in their honeymoon period, so I can understand that the Eagles are still pretty up-beat in the way that you outline.
But, of course, you might be in the loop at the Eagles, and I sure am not. So I'm happy to accept your version of things if you say so.

Justabreaker,
yes , I agree. Whilst the NEAFL have a goal to raise this comps standard to AFL, SANFL, and WAFL,(teir two as they call it) it just wont happen.Aussie rules footy is a way of life in VICTORIA, TASMANIA,SOUTH AUSTRALIA and WEST.AUSTRALIA with little competition from other codes.
In NSW, QLD AND THE ACT, rugby league, union and even soccer attract a large segment of the market...
The NEAFL business plan is hurting the local community clubs , that are the grassroots of aussie rules in these areas.
At the end of the day, its all about supporting the afl clubs ( LIONS, SWANS,GWS, AND SUNS) listed players, with not a lot of concern towards the grassroots local clubs..
The sooner the AFL, reintroduce a reserve grade comp back into the arena, the better.The NRFL have recognized this is needed, and I feel in 2015 this will occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard that Jye Bohm from Belconnen has left for another NEAFL club anyone know which one?

And Harris is close to signing elsewhere also

Must say all this is a bit of a worry for the neafl comp especially the Canberra teams. Up here in qld there were 7 local neafl clubs, next year just 3 (southport aspley redland). What is happening at the moment is a lot of the best talent from the relegated clubs are joining the neafl clubs for next year. Thus all teams up here will be very strong next year.

How will the teams from the old eastern conference achieve the same improvement? Especially with reports of players leaving?

I would suggest its going to plan perfectly for the AFL. They want a strong NEAFL and if it means teams losing their best players to form a few strong sides it's easier to have the weaker sides killed off.

As far as competing with Northern, I think it was Eastern who dominated Northern last season so they needed to improve. If the reverse occurs in 2014 then the pressure is on Eastern to improve its lists.

My main concern is not playing strength but my financial burden on local clubs.

Yes you're right about the financial burden - I saw in the Canberra paper (I think) about the renovations going on at Dairy Farmers, some of which is obviously at the footy club's expense. This is apparently being done to get the ground up to NEAFL-standard.
Well, I was at the ground last year and it looked pretty damned good to me (by Sydney standards anyway).
I'm sure that the footy club could find better ways to spend any loose money that's rattling around Canberra

Must say all this is a bit of a worry for the neafl comp especially the Canberra teams. Up here in qld there were 7 local neafl clubs, next year just 3 (southport aspley redland). What is happening at the moment is a lot of the best talent from the relegated clubs are joining the neafl clubs for next year. Thus all teams up here will be very strong next year.

How will the teams from the old eastern conference achieve the same improvement? Especially with reports of players leaving?

and a few clubs to go bust due to this structure

Heard that Jye Bohm from Belconnen has left for another NEAFL club anyone know which one?

And Harris is close to signing elsewhere also

I believe Bohm has signed with Eastlake.

I don't think Harris has signed anywhere but if he does I think it will be back in Adelaide. I don't think he'll play for another club in the NEAFL eastern.

I believe Bohm has signed with Eastlake.

I don't think Harris has signed anywhere but if he does I think it will be back in Adelaide. I don't think he'll play for another club in the NEAFL eastern.

Any other major loses NorWest.

Seems your club is going to be hit pretty hard

Any other major loses NorWest.

Seems your club is going to be hit pretty hard

They're the only ones I know of. Bohm is a fringe NEAFL player and shouldn't be a major hit but obviously Lokan and Harris will put a dent in the playing roster. Keep in mind I haven't heard it confirmed that Harris is leaving.

You would have to think a big forward would be a priority for the Belco recruitment team.

Have you heard any comings or goings from the Tigers? I heard Atkinson may be on the way out...

They're the only ones I know of. Bohm is a fringe NEAFL player and shouldn't be a major hit but obviously Lokan and Harris will put a dent in the playing roster. Keep in mind I haven't heard it confirmed that Harris is leaving.

You would have to think a big forward would be a priority for the Belco recruitment team.

Have you heard any comings or goings from the Tigers? I heard Atkinson may be on the way out...

Not close to it at all NorWest down Tigerland

Would have only seen a handful of games last season...even missed 100 Club & Presentation Night :(

I read today on the Hills Eagles website that there is a new permit system being introduced whereby they and Sydney Uni can choose players from other Sydney AFL clubs on a permit every weekend which is the same as Swans & Giants. Is the same being offered to Canberra clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back