BF Crime Books and Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

All the documentaries in the Crime Investigation Australia series are great, as well as the follow-on series, Australia: Families of Crime. They have The Backpacker Murders, The Bega Schoolgirls, Snowtown, The Granny Killer, Kimberly Killer, just to name a few. All worth a watch.

I've been watching Families of Crime the past couple of days. Very well made, and found the Carl Williams, Brian & Les Kane and Pettingill/Allen episodes particularly informative.

Eavesdropping On Evil is one I've been after, Bandali Debs and Jason Roberts who murdered Sgt Gary Silk and Snr Constable Rodney Miller.

I bought that book about a week ago and will start reading it as soon as I put down "The Job - Fighting Crime from the Frontline" by Charlie Bezzina. The Bezzina book is actually that good Í will probably read it a second time - a rarity for me.

The "Eavesdropping On Evil" book actually includes a 48 minute CD containing conversations of the offenders, as recorded by police.

Just an update on "Eavesdropping On Evil". Have been tearing into it the past few days and its á very interesting read. Debs & Roberts, the murderers, have not got a brain between them. Their illiterate quotes extracted from the bugs in their house need to be heard to be believed.

Have read most of Andrew Fraser's book "In Any Case".

It's a story-per-chapter book which is an easy read, and a bit lightweight. But the chapters on Gangitano's shooting and Dennis Allen are stand-outs.

Just finished reading " The Prez " by David Spiteri, very good book, even at times it seems all over the place, jumping from one story to another.

Wasn't familiar with this one. So I looked it up and found this >

"POLICE say publisher HarperCollins risks glamorising violence by publishing a "true crime" novel by a member of the Nomads bikie gang".

> True crime novel :)

Wasn't familiar with this one. So I looked it up and found this >

"POLICE say publisher HarperCollins risks glamorising violence by publishing a "true crime" novel by a member of the Nomads bikie gang".

> True crime novel :)

Yeh read all that after, i googled the author he seemed legit,. Not sure i'd always believe what the police say 100% either.

Yeh read all that after, i googled the author he seemed legit,. Not sure i'd always believe what the police say 100% either.

I recently read Enforcer, the autobiography of former Comanchero & Bandido Caeser Campbell.

It was a good read, but probably rates as a "true crime" novel as well ;)

I recently read Enforcer, the autobiography of former Comanchero & Bandido Caeser Campbell.

It was a good read, but probably rates as a "true crime" novel as well ;)

Yep i've read that as well, hard to know if these guys are telling the truth, going on bikie culture you'd think they wouldn't last to long giving up all the secrets.

Best bikie book i've read is called Under and Alone By William Queen. Could not put it down.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Alone-Undercover-Infiltrated-Motorcycle/dp/0345487524

Yep i've read that as well, hard to know if these guys are telling the truth, going on bikie culture you'd think they wouldn't last to long giving up all the secrets.

Best bikie book i've read is called Under and Alone By William Queen. Could not put it down.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Alone-Undercover-Infiltrated-Motorcycle/dp/0345487524

The thing about books by bikies is you only tend to get them talking about their good days - the days they were dishing out the beatings. In Caeser's book, no one ever got the better of him or his club - which is a bit far fetched really.

I will chase up a copy of Under & Alone - thanks for the heads-up :thumbsu:

The thing about books by bikies is you only tend to get them talking about their good days - the days they were dishing out the beatings. In Caeser's book, no one ever got the better of him or his club - which is a bit far fetched really.

I will chase up a copy of Under & Alone - thanks for the heads-up :thumbsu:

No probs, let me know what you think once you've read it.

Have been watching a documentary series on DVD called "The Big House". I think it's a Discovery Channel production and each episode is a mini doco on a different American prison. Very entertaining and informative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have just begun reading a book called "Who Killed Dr Bogle and Mrs Chandler?" by Peter Butt.

Butt lived a 10 minute drive from where Bogle & Chandler's bodies were found and his father treated trees along the river for termite infestation using poison. Butt seems to have made this case more or less his life's work, and amongst other research spent 4 days with the by then 74 year old widower of Mrs Chandler, Geoffrey Chandler.

9781742573076.jpg

Peter Butt also produced an ABC documentary by the same name as the book which many would have seen. But sadly not me, though I will chase up a copy.

In the book's Introduction Butt claims he put in an additional 4 more years of research between the documentary and the book.

I have read many articles on the case - as I'm sure many others have. But as I read the book I realise how very little I actually did know about this case.

Haven't put the book down once yet.

I should get back into some crime novels, lots of good suggestions in this thread though. I watched the Richard Kuklinski doco and is was pretty good beyond all the obvious lying he was spouting.

Have just completed the book on the Bogle & Chandler case, and it is truly compelling reading!

If you have ever wondered about this case, and most of us have, you really NEED to read this book >

9781742573076.jpg

I got my copy from the local library. But if you are not so fortunate, whatever the cost, go get yourself a copy.

Has anyone watched the series on NatGeo called 'Breakout'? It's about prison breaks (mainly in the US), walking through the escape and how it was planned, and then how they were captured. It uses a voiceover (usually an actor, but sometimes the actual escapee) to go through what they were thinking at the time, and how they pulled it off. They also conduct interviews with prison guards, police etc who worked on it.

I reckon the best one is when a 23 year old armed robber jumps on the back of a delivery van at a facility just outside of Las Vegas, as he had been working in the carpentry shed. Nobody noticed him (this was in the mid 2000s), and he managed to get all the way to Las Vegas, stole 70k from pokie machines (which is why he was in jail), and managed to live it up in Las Vegas for 94 days before capture. He was a gambling addict and found love while in Vegas, which is why he never left the area for somewhere like Mexico.

Has anyone watched the series on NatGeo called 'Breakout'? It's about prison breaks (mainly in the US), walking through the escape and how it was planned, and then how they were captured. It uses a voiceover (usually an actor, but sometimes the actual escapee) to go through what they were thinking at the time, and how they pulled it off. They also conduct interviews with prison guards, police etc who worked on it.

I reckon the best one is when a 23 year old armed robber jumps on the back of a delivery van at a facility just outside of Las Vegas, as he had been working in the carpentry shed. Nobody noticed him (this was in the mid 2000s), and he managed to get all the way to Las Vegas, stole 70k from pokie machines (which is why he was in jail), and managed to live it up in Las Vegas for 94 days before capture. He was a gambling addict and found love while in Vegas, which is why he never left the area for somewhere like Mexico.

Haven't seen that one, but will keep an eye out for it.

I do remember seeing a show with similar content showing some time back, and remember one escape where the inmate painstakingly created a rope out of dental floss. He used the 'rope' to climb to the underside of cyclone wire roof in the exercise yard, and if I remember correctly he then slowly but surely hacked through the wire with a cutting implement he's availed himself of. The physical feat he performed was pretty bloody impressive.

One of the best Books i've read.

No Angel by Jay Dobyns is another great one that is similar.

I understand both those books were written by undercover agents. Which means there's every chance of balance and impartiality in the telling. Books written by members tend to be very biased with their recollections and selective with what's included.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back