Suburban/Country Grounds

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Here is a picture I found off a website which is absolute quality http://scoreboardpressure.com/the-a-to-z-list/ definitely worth a look imo.

From that website it has a picturesque view of Powelltown's ground who are in the same league and division as the side above.

They are located near Warburton in the Yarra Ranges and are an old logging community.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Sep 22, 2008
Moama
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lavington Sports Ground, Premier ground in the Ovens and Murray Comp.

Lavi-oval.jpg

FitzroyRamone

B+F in a premiership year - SFA season 4
Jan 27, 2001
Brunswick Street Oval
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Norwich City, Niners
Following Fitzroy in the Amateurs means getting to watch footy at Brunswick Street every 2nd week...love it when we've played Prahran/Assumption (Toorak Park) and North Old Boys at the old Brunswick VFA ground, as well as Old Melburnians at our ground the Junction Oval...fantastic places to watch footy & soak in some history

finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
Following Fitzroy in the Amateurs means getting to watch footy at Brunswick Street every 2nd week...love it when we've played Prahran/Assumption (Toorak Park) and North Old Boys at the old Brunswick VFA ground, as well as Old Melburnians at our ground the Junction Oval...fantastic places to watch footy & soak in some history

I might try and get along to some games next season I have many memories of watching Sandringham at those grounds.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond

Above is Navarre's grandstand, the 2013 Premiers of the Maryborough Castlemaine League in the green and gold. I was very surprised to see the town has a population of just 168 (Wikipedia) :eek:
One thing I believe that sets this stand apart from others is there is a netball court between the grandstand and football ground so spectators can watch both games at the same time.

Murchison's clubrooms in the Kyabram District Footy League who were also 2013 Premiers and are also the Grasshoppers :D

Will add a few more grounds tonight

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond

Rainbow at Apollo Bay with a very wide wing!

I think this was taken off another thread here but the famous gravel ground at Queenstown in Tasmania. I'm pretty sure Richo kicked a big bag there in his pre-AFL days.

Irrewarra/Beeac Football ground in the Colac & District League. The ground is located at Beeac which has a total population of 204. The club was a powerhouse in the late 00's winning many Premierships in the local league.
Apparently the ground used to house early finals (Qualifying/Semi's etc) rather than Colac's Central Reserve however the league try to avoid it due to safety reasons as the ground doesn't have enough parking for big crowds and people have to park on the main road leading to the ground.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Must admit that each time I go to a town that I have never been to I try to go and have a look at the footy ground. Never thought to take pics though. Enjoying the work of you lads :thumbsu: I

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Clubs in recess
Sadly thought i'd touch on two clubs I've found pictures which are examples of grassroots footy crumbling in country Victoria.

The first ground is Tatong Magpies' ground. They are only a small town situated near Benalla and used to play in the 6 side Benalla & District Comp before AFL Victoria disbanded the League when one side fell over. They have then joined the stronger Ovens & King League alongside Goorambat, Bonnie Doon and Swanpool which they have all struggled to adapt with Bonnie Doon being the only side to be relatively competitive against most sides.
As a town of 447 it has strong routes to the Indigenous community and is the real "life of the town".
From what I have read on the Ovens & King thread the league is trying to force Swanpool, Tatong & Goormabat into a merger which strongly favours the Bats as of 2014 causing all sorts of headaches considering they have been rivals for years.
Both Swanpool & Tatong had their appeals to remain a single entity turned down and their futures look very dim sadly.

Here is a picture of Tatong vs Swanpool with the high country in the backdrop.

This picture shows most of the ground. It's also interesting to note that the club recently raised lot's of money & voluntary hours to build new change rooms which may result to nothing harshly.

The next side is Thornton-Eildon in which the region was devastated by the Black Saturday bushfires.
The club used to be quiet strong and as little as 5 years ago had 5 football sides and 7 netball sides (both Junior and Senior) however it all wound up.
The club has a strong and proud history and even won the 2007 Yarra Valley Div 2 Premiership.

Again these photos are from http://scoreboardpressure.com/the-a-to-z-list/ but it really tells a story or two about how the ground goes unused in recent times. Although the club has very basic facilities that is what country footy is...

Hopefully, if the rumours to be are true the club is looking to rise from the ashes and relaunch in 2014 in the Yarra Valley Div 2 again which would be great news for the area.
It would be even better if the Juniors can get up and running again.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Must admit that each time I go to a town that I have never been to I try to go and have a look at the footy ground. Never thought to take pics though. Enjoying the work of you lads :thumbsu: I
Yeah I do the same. Just nice to see the different grounds from town to town.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Clubs in recess
Sadly thought i'd touch on two clubs I've found pictures which are examples of grassroots footy crumbling in country Victoria.

The first ground is Tatong Magpies' ground. They are only a small town situated near Benalla and used to play in the 6 side Benalla & District Comp before AFL Victoria disbanded the League when one side fell over. They have then joined the stronger Ovens & King League alongside Goorambat, Bonnie Doon and Swanpool which they have all struggled to adapt with Bonnie Doon being the only side to be relatively competitive against most sides.
As a town of 447 it has strong routes to the Indigenous community and is the real "life of the town".
From what I have read on the Ovens & King thread the league is trying to force Swanpool, Tatong & Goormabat into a merger which strongly favours the Bats as of 2014 causing all sorts of headaches considering they have been rivals for years.
Both Swanpool & Tatong had their appeals to remain a single entity turned down and their futures look very dim sadly.

Here is a picture of Tatong vs Swanpool with the high country in the backdrop.

This picture shows most of the ground. It's also interesting to note that the club recently raised lot's of money & voluntary hours to build new change rooms which may result to nothing harshly.

The next side is Thornton-Eildon in which the region was devastated by the Black Saturday bushfires.
The club used to be quiet strong and as little as 5 years ago had 5 football sides and 7 netball sides (both Junior and Senior) however it all wound up.
The club has a strong and proud history and even won the 2007 Yarra Valley Div 2 Premiership.

Again these photos are from http://scoreboardpressure.com/the-a-to-z-list/ but it really tells a story or two about how the ground goes unused in recent times. Although the club has very basic facilities that is what country footy is...

Hopefully, if the rumours to be are true the club is looking to rise from the ashes and relaunch in 2014 in the Yarra Valley Div 2 again which would be great news for the area.
It would be even better if the Juniors can get up and running again.
Nothing sadder then seeing a country footy club fold. They're one of the most important parts of any country town and a lot of city people never fully understand this :(

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Colac's main oval Central Reserve, home of the Colac Tigers and finals at the local comp.

Was going to post Colac Reserve. Just underdone a major redevelopment with the turf being completely replaced to the same standard as MCG, with the ground now having the same dimensions. Premier ground in the GFL, and host CDFL finals as previously mentioned.

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
I know that I am outing myself here, but I have contributed to the website www.scoreboardpressure.com for a while now, and I have tried to take photos of all the grounds and scoreboards that I see during my rounds as a goal umpire in the Goulburn Valley and beyond, including a few that are sadly no longer around (Wunghnu & Devenish).

I know it's a little quirk of mine, but I'm glad you like our work, so thank you guys we really appreciate it.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Good stuff Joe, you've clearly spent a lot of time compiling those so great job and your more than welcome to contribute any of them on here anytime :thumbsu:

I've found a few on some clubs facebook page of the Northern Football League Division 1 to go alongside Northcote Park's ground already posted.

The first ground I found is Macleod's football ground De Winton Reserve. Apparently it is one of the worst surfaces in the top tier in the NFL but have had some drainage works done to it during the season.

The next ground is the Eltham Panthers football ground, it has been regarded as a quality ground that plays host to junior and lower divison finals. David Zaharakis and Nick Vlaustin both played their juniors at the club.

The next ground I found a photo of was Greensborough who have the odd nickname of "the slime" referring to it's jumpers. Micky O played a one off game for them this season where they took it right up to the Minor Premiers Montmorency in a high scoring affair. The ground is a little odd in that a vast majority of the spectators are situated behind the one goal/pocket where terracing is and the clubrooms canteen etc and there isn't much room for fans on the wings.
Below is a picture of the crowd for the Micky O game where approx. 2,500 turned up :thumbsu:

Finally the last ground I could find in Div 1 was the powerhouse in Heidleberg. The Tigers have great behind the scenes support in which has seen their facilities envied by others in the Northern League and with a surface that wouldn't look astray in the VFL.

The view from the clubrooms :footy: absolutely pristine

Back