NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Yesterday

Senior List
Feb 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any truth to the rumour that new NEAFL may NOT be a singular competition after all? Heard from a few people that consideration is being given to north and east conferences again. If that happens, north will have 6 teams...really????

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any truth to the rumour that new NEAFL may NOT be a singular competition after all? Heard from a few people that consideration is being given to north and east conferences again. If that happens, north will have 6 teams...really????

I have heard that afl teams won't play club teams from interstate. Eg southport aspley redland will not play swans or gws ressies and ainslie belconnen etc wont play suns/lions ressies. Must say it would be a strange competition if some teams don't play each other. Hopefully it's just rumour and an excellent 14 team comp where everyone plays each other once and then you play a few in your state twice to get to the 18 games.

On that subject I also have heard that the afl teams want a longer season. It makes some sense if the afl seniors are 22 games and 2's only 18. A 23 round season with 3 byes for foxtel cup/rep games would be ok.

I've heard sharks will announce their coach this week. I assume Blair will continue. Anyone know if penguin at redland is staying on? Have any morningside boys headed over there?

kittycat12

Debutant
Feb 14, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Really interesting appointment at the Sharks! Good coach but I was certain he was returning to Perth.
He is joined by Fitness and Running guru, Gary Fox.
They will be a really strong Gold Coast rep side.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Really interesting appointment at the Sharks! Good coach but I was certain he was returning to Perth.
He is joined by Fitness and Running guru, Gary Fox.
They will be a really strong Gold Coast rep side.
Kittycat,
I spoke with Matt Angus at the Neafl grand final, and he said he was having a year off.... had received coaching offers back in WA, but declined due to he and his family wishing to live on the Gold Coast etc etc.
Believe he did not apply for the Sharks job, but they approached him... especially after Clinton Watts declined the offer to coach. ( only what I heard, not saying its fact.)
Gaining the guru fitness and conditioning coach in Gary Fox is a huge cue.For example, ask Zorko and Boston...which guys played a major influence in getting them to AFL level, and they will tell you Fox and Angus.
From what I hear, Southport have already secured the services of Grayson and Goldsmith from Labrador, with a number of gun players from other clubs close to signing.... Agree, they will be a very strong side in the new NEAFL comp.

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kittycat,
I spoke with Matt Angus at the Neafl grand final, and he said he was having a year off.... had received coaching offers back in WA, but declined due to he and his family wishing to live on the Gold Coast etc etc.
Believe he did not apply for the Sharks job, but they approached him... especially after Clinton Watts declined the offer to coach. ( only what I heard, not saying its fact.)
Gaining the guru fitness and conditioning coach in Gary Fox is a huge cue.For example, ask Zorko and Boston...which guys played a major influence in getting them to AFL level, and they will tell you Fox and Angus.
From what I hear, Southport have already secured the services of Grayson and Goldsmith from Labrador, with a number of gun players from other clubs close to signing.... Agree, they will be a very strong side in the new NEAFL comp.
thurlow going there aswell

Yesterday

Senior List
Feb 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Am hearing disturbing commentary about the new look NEAFL. Dont know how much is true, but if some is, then there are a few concerns:

1. Still may be a prospect of a North & Eastern Conference - if so Aspley and co may play in a 6 team competition. Great..why dump the other 4 clubs??? Be great to watch Aspley v Redland v Southport 4 times each!!
2. Existing proposal may quarantine nothern non AFL clubs from eastern AFL clubs. Unsure how a consolidated 14 team comp can be legit if all clubs dont play each other during the regular season. If Aspley was to play GWS in the competition Grand Final without even playing each other during the year, ten this would be absolutely crazy.
3. Rumours of cold feet from ACT Clubs

As I said, these are rumours doing the rounds up here.
Be happy to hear from others as to acuracy.

Thught NEAFL was about 1 x elite competition with all teams taking each other on in an open and transparent competition....??

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Redland making some big announcements on their twitter over the past week. Steven Wrigley, Darren Pfieffer, Cleve Hughes, Josh Smith and Luke Scott all very handy pick-ups although they've also lost a few big names.

Have heard Southport have picked up heaps of Labrador and Broadbeach boys but no official announcements yet. Hornets very quiet...

I've heard NEAFL will be one comp except for cross conference AFL teams due to expense but all local insterstate sides will play each other.

Looking forward to the comp to be honest but can't really see how the eastern teams will remain competitive with the northern sides given the major restructure up here.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Redland making some big announcements on their twitter over the past week. Steven Wrigley, Darren Pfieffer, Cleve Hughes, Josh Smith and Luke Scott all very handy pick-ups although they've also lost a few big names.

Have heard Southport have picked up heaps of Labrador and Broadbeach boys but no official announcements yet. Hornets very quiet...

I've heard NEAFL will be one comp except for cross conference AFL teams due to expense but all local insterstate sides will play each other.

Looking forward to the comp to be honest but can't really see how the eastern teams will remain competitive with the northern sides given the major restructure up here.

Tend to agree all 3 neafl clubs in qld will be strong. Sharks are back training now and have picked up a couple from Labrador and a few from broady are training. Also a couple of young guys from surfers. I would suggest that none of the teams will finalise their 35 until well after Xmas and probably not until practice games are on. Expect a couple of late pre-season player movements between clubs. Also have heard that a lot of the young guns from morningside are heading to neafl clubs but most of the older stalwarts are staying.

Some good pickups for redland but losing Pullman hurts

As for the draw in the past the neafl draw has come out early December but this year there isn't even an agreement on who plays who or how many rounds so it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't come out until closer to Xmas.

I'm sure the new comp will be a step up in standard.

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tend to agree all 3 neafl clubs in qld will be strong. Sharks are back training now and have picked up a couple from Labrador and a few from broady are training. Also a couple of young guys from surfers. I would suggest that none of the teams will finalise their 35 until well after Xmas and probably not until practice games are on. Expect a couple of late pre-season player movements between clubs. Also have heard that a lot of the young guns from morningside are heading to neafl clubs but most of the older stalwarts are staying.

Some good pickups for redland but losing Pullman hurts

As for the draw in the past the neafl draw has come out early December but this year there isn't even an agreement on who plays who or how many rounds so it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't come out until closer to Xmas.

I'm sure the new comp will be a step up in standard.

Add Gaertner to the list for Redland too which leaves a hole for them in the front half.

Agreed the standard will definitely step dramatically with the northern teams. The local derbies of Southport, Redland and Aspley will all be cracking games. However I have big concerns over the eastern teams abilities to match it with their northern and AFL competitors.

Yesterday

Senior List
Feb 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yea
Pantic works hard so would expect him to do alright but think he might struggle at his size to get regular games in the seniors.
Good luck to him.[/quote

Yeah..they said the same about Boomer Harvey, Leigh Matthews, Tony Liberatore, Cyril Rioli, etc.

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good luck to him my prediction is 50-50 seniors reserves and he will be a better player for the experience. The fact he has gone to a stand alone club more than doubles his chances of getting a regular senior match.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Redlands haven't been dormant.... have recruited Wrigley (lions), young gun Smith from Morningside, Scott from Vultures, Hughes from Sharks,and Pfeiffer from Norwood..... All 5 are gun players..
Don't know if they have lost any major players, and if not, the above mentioned will certainly raise their standards.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
See Southport have recruited Grayson, Goldsmith and Cooke from Labrador, ,,, Brewer, Shreeve,Brennan, and Burton from Broady, and in negotiations with Geary and Stewart from Broady as well, according to the Gold Coast Bulletin today. Also picked up a VFL player as well and are reporting they have retained most of their current topliners..... geez, will be a good side.

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
See Southport have recruited Grayson, Goldsmith and Cooke from Labrador, ,,, Brewer, Shreeve,Brennan, and Burton from Broady, and in negotiations with Geary and Stewart from Broady as well, according to the Gold Coast Bulletin today. Also picked up a VFL player as well and are reporting they have retained most of their current topliners..... geez, will be a good side.

Stuyd1 not sure that Cookie has too many senior games left in him?

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think he means Clarke (Adam).
All solid players but you wouldn't call them A graders except for Geary and Brewer is heading that way.
Still shows that these lists of 35 will bat very deep with talent and a lot of good players will be pushed back to play in the QAFL when injury lists are small.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think he means Clarke (Adam).
All solid players but you wouldn't call them A graders except for Geary and Brewer is heading that way.
Still shows that these lists of 35 will bat very deep with talent and a lot of good players will be pushed back to play in the QAFL when injury lists are small.

Peanut,
Nearly all of these Labrador and Broadbeach players are A graders. Shreeve is a dynamic winger, Stewart has established himself as one of the comps most reliable defenders, Brennan, only about 19 years of age, has improved so much in the past 2 seasons, he is actually being looked at by AFL clubs. And young Burton, not an A grader yet, but not far off the mark.
Put these guys into a Southport senior side, that has retained most of its current topliners, then add another 2 or 3 quality recruits from interstate, then s**t, you got one quality team.
As I said the other day, Redlands have recruited some guns as well, thus will be very strong.Aspley will need to recruit 2 or 3 guns as well, to keep up to the raise in standard.
Should be some great quality footy between the top 6 sides in the 2014 Neafl comp.
Whilst, I will continue to attend and support my Broadbeach cats games, I will certainly attend some of these Neafl games , ..... hopefully the fixtures will have a mixture of games on Saturdays and Sundays, which will enable one to attend both .

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Peanut,
Nearly all of these Labrador and Broadbeach players are A graders. Shreeve is a dynamic winger, Stewart has established himself as one of the comps most reliable defenders, Brennan, only about 19 years of age, has improved so much in the past 2 seasons, he is actually being looked at by AFL clubs. And young Burton, not an A grader yet, but not far off the mark.
Put these guys into a Southport senior side, that has retained most of its current topliners, then add another 2 or 3 quality recruits from interstate, then s**t, you got one quality team.
As I said the other day, Redlands have recruited some guns as well, thus will be very strong.Aspley will need to recruit 2 or 3 guns as well, to keep up to the raise in standard.
Should be some great quality footy between the top 6 sides in the 2014 Neafl comp.
Whilst, I will continue to attend and support my Broadbeach cats games, I will certainly attend some of these Neafl games , ..... hopefully the fixtures will have a mixture of games on Saturdays and Sundays, which will enable one to attend both .

Still not convinced. None have been in a NEAFL team of the Year from memory, I think only Grayson and Geary past state reps. A graders are the cream of the crop in the NEAFL in my opinion that make TOY, win B&Fs, state reps, league medals, ex AFL etc.
That's 7 players coming into their list of 35 which is 20% of the list. If they're not losing many players as reported which 7 players do they replace out of Southports 2013 prelim final side? Especially if they're going to add 2-3 quality interstaters like you've said.

Not so sure all of them will be regular senior players in the Southport side but I do agree with one thing - Southport will be an absolute powerhouse next year!

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Still not convinced. None have been in a NEAFL team of the Year from memory, I think only Grayson and Geary past state reps. A graders are the cream of the crop in the NEAFL in my opinion that make TOY, win B&Fs, state reps, league medals, ex AFL etc.
That's 7 players coming into their list of 35 which is 20% of the list. If they're not losing many players as reported which 7 players do they replace out of Southports 2013 prelim final side? Especially if they're going to add 2-3 quality interstaters like you've said.

Not so sure all of them will be regular senior players in the Southport side but I do agree with one thing - Southport will be an absolute powerhouse next year!

Peanut,
hear where your coming from... but being a league medallist, named in the state side etc, applies to the cream of the crop to some degree. This cream of the crop would represent some 20 players . After that, there would be some 40 players that would be rated as A graders . In the past few years clubs have rated their teams on the best 6..... now they will rate this measure on their best 12.
Understand Peanut what your saying, but I think most of these recruits from Labrador and Broadbeach will contribute in a big way to Southport.Anyway, time will tell, and I appreciate your views.

Back