Current Louise Bell murder arrest after 30 years

Last edited:
AAAAAAAND it turns out they knew it was Dieter Pfennig all along but couldn't pin it on him.
He was already in jail for the Michael Black murder.

benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
Was next suburb over for me too (are you an ex-Hackham-ian too?) - and I was just shy of my 9th birthday so similar age. Definitely a loss of innocence on that day.

Cold comfort for the family but some closure at last.

WHOME

Club Legend
May 18, 2007
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
So Louise Bell disappeared in January, 1983. Pfennig has also been convicted of the Michael Black murder in January, 1989. Makes you wonder what this animal was up to in the 6 years in between. I'm no crime expert but I'm thinking these types don't go into hibernation for 6 years.

Was next suburb over for me too (are you an ex-Hackham-ian too?)
No i was north of Beach rd in the part of Christie Downs that became Morphett Vale

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So they have finally charged someone after this little girl was taken from her bedroom through her window at night and never seen again.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-21/louise-bell-murder-dieter-pfennig-trial/6792496

He has been a suspect for decades and now he faces trial. A body has never been found. I wonder what evidence they finally have. Maybe DNA which wasn't available at the time.

This case was massive in Adelaide.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully Dieter burns for what he has done.
He used to be my science teacher and he was a total weirdo. He used to drive a combi van, which ended up being the one thay he snatched Michael Black in. He was also convicted of abducting a young boy and raping him. He left him tied up in the cliffs around Christies Beach.
I remember when Louise Bell was abducted back in the 80s and it scared us all of what could happen. I remember thinking I never wanted to sleep in a bedroom with a window in the front of the house.
And to think the weirdo teacher of mine was the one who killed her.

Hmm.. Interesting from the viewpoint that the police waited 32 years yo lay charges. I guess more of this will be public as time goes by

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hmm.. Interesting from the viewpoint that the police waited 32 years yo lay charges. I guess more of this will be public as time goes by
They probably had a tiny bit of DNA and were waiting for scientific advances in DNA analysis to get a 100% or close to match. DNA testing usually wrecks the sample being tested, so in cases where only a tiny amount is found, they wait decades until better technology is available. I know it sucks that the killer is free for a long time but it's better than rushing it and ruining the only bit of evidence you have.

s**t missed this.

Lived next suburb over at the time and that basically killed the practice of sleeping with the windows open at night ( in Adelaides sthn suburbs at least )

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
The Judge dismissed these jail confessions in his summing up. He was convicted on the DNA evidence and consistent claims.

In his judgment, Acting Justice David found the prosecution case to be compelling and consistent, and that Pfennig had displayed an ongoing fascination with Louise and her disappearance.

He said the one-in-one-billion DNA match to Pfennig, taken from Louise’s torn pyjama top, could only mean the killer had touched it — rejecting defence claims the sample had somehow transferred on to the material in an innocent manner.

He said Pfennig had the opportunity to abduct and kill Louise because he had returned early from a family trip and was home alone, without his wife and daughters.

Acting Justice David rejected the claims of two prison inmates — one a convicted fraudster and religious cultist — as unreliable but said that in no way weakened the rest of the prosecution case.

He concluded the interaction and consistency of all the evidence left no reasonable possibility other than Pfennig being the murderer.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I was watching tv one night and thought I saw my brothers backyard . It was a few houses along , but just the similarities of size and shape etc gave me a fright.

I live on the other side of Beach Rd and this and the Rhianna Barreau case still sends a chill.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I was watching tv one night and thought I saw my brothers backyard . It was a few houses along , but just the similarities of size and shape etc gave me a fright.

I live on the other side of Beach Rd and this and the Rhianna Barreau case still sends a chill.
the niece of family friends. :(

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully Dieter burns for what he has done.
He used to be my science teacher and he was a total weirdo. He used to drive a combi van, which ended up being the one thay he snatched Michael Black in. He was also convicted of abducting a young boy and raping him. He left him tied up in the cliffs around Christies Beach.
I remember when Louise Bell was abducted back in the 80s and it scared us all of what could happen. I remember thinking I never wanted to sleep in a bedroom with a window in the front of the house.
And to think the weirdo teacher of mine was the one who killed her.

jesus your teaching was a *ing child murderer....

that's hard for me to get my head around, someone doing that...but a teacher...

Back