WillyRBeek

Debutant
Jul 1, 2013
Borden, Ontario, Canada
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
As a relatively new fan to Footy, and living far away in Canada it's pretty difficult for me to find much on a lot of these prospects. From everything i've seen, most people seem to be thrilled with the pick of Sheed, but how about the other guys? Any potential steals later in the draft?
On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being an absolute disaster and 10 being, well, obviously perfect, how would you rate this draft for the Eagles?

I'd love to hear some feedback on this. Thanks a lot fellow Eagles fans!

I'll give it a diplomatic 7/10.

Weak draft and we covered most positional bases that needed to be covered. Midfield depth, small forward, outside midfielder/ utility and key defender.

8/10 when i consider the other changes. With Ellis (free), Yeo (pick 28), plus our three rookie upgrades. Which i rate to differing degrees. Throw in the almost certain retention of a very talented Newman on the rookie list and we've had a good off season considering we've turned over nine players from our senior list.

WEST COAST

SEBASTIAN SAYS: No mean feat for new coach Adam Simpson to replace Daniel Kerr, Adam Selwood, and also plan for the retirement of Darren Glass. These were West Coast’s main aims and they did that by taking Dom Sheed, midfield ball magnet; Malcolm Karpany, who is an exciting small midfielder with great pace; and Tom Barrass, who rebounds well for a key backman. West Coast got their man in Sheed seen by many as a lock at pick 11 pre-draft. Dylan Main is a local young forward that will take time to develop.
PICKS:
11: Dom Sheed 184cms 83kgs midfielder from Perth,WA
31. Malcolm Karpany 176cms 72kgs midfielder from Woodville-West Torrens,SA
43. Tom Barrass 192cms 81kgs key backman from Claremont,WA
49. Dylan Main 189cms 77kgs medium forward from Sth Fremantle, WA
61. Rookie upgrade Jamie Bennell
74. rookie upgrade Jeremy McGovern
85. rookie upgrade Simon Tunbridge

RATING: B+ – Did well to fill their needs with their picks and upgraded rookies in positions they couldn’t fill via the draft. Sheed could lead the club one day and oozes class.

I think Karpany is the key pick to the whole draft/trade period. We traded down just to get him. If he pans out it all looks pretty good. I think we know what we'll get from Sheed, he will be a good chance to win the rising star IMO. Barrass is a nice prospect but will take a few years as all tall players do. Main is purely speculative but has some nice tools.

If we had of kept 28 and taken dumont i would have given 10\10. However while i rate karpany i worry he is a little small and i think he's more of a small midfielder than a genuine small forward. If however he is a few cm's taller than listed i wont worry as much. I think if you get two top 15 ranked players for your side from an offseason plus a role player you have done well. I see yeo and shred as being genuine top prospects for us and can see karpany and barass being solid roleplayers with karpany having talent to be more. If he was 10cm's taller he would have pushed top 10.

Reading the write-ups it appears that players with footskills were a priority for the Eagles this time around. Could we be about to develop a more Hawthornesque game style ?

Maybe we're just developing a game plan where we just kick the ball well for once..

We need more skilled players - you can never have too many.

I'm happy, the Sheed gamble paid dividends, we ticked off key gaps in our line-up. With the fresh approach in the coaching box and what looks like full pre-seasons into all of the usual suspects, we are looking good to improve strongly on last season.

I'm still stuck on the 'what if' regarding Lewis Taylor. If we had given Brissy 31 instead of 28, and got Taylor, I would give it a 10/10.

But given the picks we had, I'll give it 6.5/10.

Sheed - fantastic at 11, just what we need. Hopefully he's good enough to play round 1. Looking forward to seeing him play at Blacktown in February.

Karpany - he fills a need definitely, unsure how good he is. From one video, he seems like a carbon copy of Newman. For those in the know, what would you say the differences between Karpany and Newman are?

Barrass - again, he meets a need, and as someone said elsewhere, I think Sydney may have taken him at 44, meaning that our trade to GC might not have been in vain. Really glad we got a KPD.

Main - I know nothing about him. His ball-drop looks horrible from that video.

I'm still stuck on the 'what if' regarding Lewis Taylor. If we had given Brissy 31 instead of 28, and got Taylor, I would give it a 10/10.

Sheed - fantastic at 11, just what we need. Hopefully he's good enough to play round 1. Looking forward to seeing him play at Blacktown in February.

Karpany - he fills a need definitely, unsure how good he is. From one video, he seems like a carbon copy of Newman. For those in the know, what would you say the differences between Karpany and Newman are?

Barrass - again, he meets a need, and as someone said elsewhere, I think Sydney may have taken him at 44, meaning that our trade to GC might not have been in vain. Really glad we got a KPD.

The drafting of Main reminds me of us picking up Thompson in 2006 with our last pick. They just look like crap footballers. Happy to be proven wrong!

Pretty stoked actually - we have been so insipid in the preseason for years - not turning the list over - not getting rid of guys who were past it

We've really given it a s**t in the arm this year and whilst I had my doubts over the trade with collyflog I think it has worked - we got dirty sheeds done dirt cheap and yeo would easily be a top 20 pick if he was in the draft - possibly higher - then we got bad karpany who I have a feeling will turn out to be a steal. Add that to whatsisface from hawthorn - if we can get him on the park well sheeeeeeyit

Pretty amped about this draft tbh

1) Don't believe Taylor's ability exceeds that of Karpany to change from a 6.5 to a 10 and I think 6.5 is unfairly low.

2) Karpeny v Newman - IMO Newman has more "exquisite" skills but Karpany has a touch more tow, both off the mark and top and is a better disposal on the run (can weight kicks better). Will pleasantly surprise many on here will Karpany

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) Don't believe Taylor's ability exceeds that of Karpany to change from a 6.5 to a 10 and I think 6.5 is unfairly low.

2) Karpeny v Newman - IMO Newman has more "exquisite" skills but Karpany has a touch more tow, both off the mark and top and is a better disposal on the run (can weight kicks better). Will pleasantly surprise many on here will Karpany

I think I have an irrational love of Taylor.

If I'm judging the recruiters on who they selected from those available, it probably is a 7.5 - I'm probably (unfairly) considering the fact Taylor and Dumont were available at 28.

I'll quickly forget my irrational disappointment, and will be jumping on the Karpany bandwagon. We certainly desperately need someon like him.

What are your thoughts on our draft BOND 007? About time we drafted players who have great footskills and are left footers - balances our team very nicely and increases team flexibility.

Scharenberg (6) Yeo (28) Barrass (46) v Sheed (11) Yeo (28) Karpany (31)

So Basiacally it's Scharenberg v Sheed + Karpany

I'd say we did very well. I prefer Shred to Scharenberg anyway.

Surely now you can throw us a bone, did we get who we wanted?

I wonder mostly because of the fact we had a brief chat before selecting Karpany, usually that's the case when a higher profile draftee is still available, not when the selection is someone from the more obscure side.

And while I'm at it, was passing on Sheed ever a realistic consideration?

Dont we can grade this years draftees until 3 years, for all we know none of them will come good or some may have a major injury limit their success, silly to be grading our picks now before either of them have played a game yet.

Dont we can grade this years draftees until 3 years, for all we know none of them will come good or some may have a major injury limit their success, silly to be grading our picks now before either of them have played a game yet.

Well yes, there is no telling how this draft class will actually turn out 2, 3, 4 ect years down the road, but the purpose was to gauge how well you think this draft class will benefit West Coast in the future. Also, it was to help me(a somewhat uninformed, but enthusiastic observer) get a good idea on if I should be excited about this class or not. So far i've found the responses here to be very informative and for the most part, very promising. Thanks a lot folks!

Not sure the purpose of these ratings? At pick 11 we got the player we considered best available. Likewise at 31, 43 & 49. If a club picks the 2nd best available they should all be sacked!

Best available is a matter of opinion and differs amongs clubs, fans, media, etc. But end of the day, pick order reflects quality of drafting until such time as we can gauge their output at AFL level.

In the context of both trading & drafting though, I think agree with EasternHills that we seem to have done quite well.

The late mail was we wanted barrass at pick 31 . When it came to our pick we stalled and seemed to deviate off the plan and picked up Karpany . We probably rated him very highly but didnt think he would last to our pick then we took the punt on Barrass being at 43 . Good work as Karpany wouldn't have at 43 . I think if crouch wasn't available at 23 Adelaide would have picked Karpany
We were wanting Yarran at trade period but picked up his younger clone that can play midfield in the draft for free !
Scharenberg may have been higher rated than sheed but doesn't fit our needs at this time . Love that sheed is a die hard eagles supporter too !

I thought we did well this year, basically gave up nothing to get Yeo and drafted the guy we always wanted :thumbsu:

This - I was quite prepared to lynch Vozzo from the light towers at Subi if we lost out on Sheeds between picks 6-10, but it all came off.

Picking up Yeo, Sheeds, Karpanny and others means this off-season has been very good for revitalising a list that was in danger of becoming too old.

Now, if the medical team can come to the party with a top-notch off-season as well, that'd be just swell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back