So, how did we do in the Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

meant classy in the way he moves through traffic and breaks lines and finds space..agree though, i was disappointed by his footskills-hit and miss-sublime to sauerkraut-but can kick some very classy goals, which is why i place him slightly above shuey at present - ive lost track of the number of times shuey breaks free and surges for goal, only to miss..again...and again.i cant even recall the last time he ran forward and speared a ball straight into goal? that needs to change for mine..

but the dynamics should all be different this year, with as you say both those players on for longer periods (and hopefully some skills improvement), with newer players added or rotated thru, thus sharing the load and taking the heat off others such as Gaff, who had a year from hell really..but he too could be one to break out this year..so i hear you, even if these new mids arrive as pretty much raw talent,but a walk up start minus the experience, theyll add some footskills and headsmarts, and help spread the load..so priddis to sheed to shuey etc..or sheed to masten to wellers..or maybe just sheed to kennedy? ((;
cant wait..

-Wellingham is classy in that regard, I can't disagree :thumbsu:
-Shuey either misses or gets run down (vs Collingwood 2011 ring any bells?) which is a shame but I thought he had improved, albeit slightly, this year. Hopefully next year he dominates.
-A football brain is what I'm really looking forward to seeing with Sheed, as you said. He's an exciting talent and I'm stoked to have picked him up.
-There are so many options, we'll have a multi-headed midfield which can hopefully be effective.

-Wellingham is classy in that regard, I can't disagree :thumbsu:
-Shuey either misses or gets run down (vs Collingwood 2011 ring any bells?) which is a shame but I thought he had improved, albeit slightly, this year. Hopefully next year he dominates.
-A football brain is what I'm really looking forward to seeing with Sheed, as you said. He's an exciting talent and I'm stoked to have picked him up.
-There are so many options, we'll have a multi-headed midfield which can hopefully be effective.
Are we beating a dead horse, can we compete against GC and GWS though?

I like our draft selections overall however, I believe passing on Garlett is something that will come around to bite us on the butt

"The two-time premiership coach rejected suggestions Garlett represents a risk for the Hawks after every AFL club overlooked him last year.
"We held that view too but we're satisfied enough with the things he's been able to put in place over the course of 2013 that he deserves an opportunity," Clarkson said.
"He's still got a lot of work to do and he acknowledges that and we acknowledge that.
"But we reckon the lad deserves a chance."
The under-18 All Australian midfielder faces a major adjustment when he makes the move from Western Australia, where he booted 48 goals in the WAFL this year.
"That could be a good thing or it could be a challenge for him," Clarkson said.
"We'll just have to wait and see."

Personally, I loved Shred at pick 11 (surprise surprise), was surprised at pick 31 (would have loved a Robertson), satisfied at pick 43 (addressed a lack of KPDs), and some what unsure of pick 49 (know nothing about main, but hope to be pleasantly surprised). Would of loved Marsh at 49, but acknowledge that we were targeting foot skills as a priority. Overall, including trades, perhaps an 8.5/10 for me. Sheed, Yeo, Barrass and Ellis for free I see as the big gets this off season. Looking fwd to season 2014.

Overall it was fine. Sheed is a safe, solid and ready high-ish pick to make us happy, and give us something to look forward to during the off season. Karpany & Barrass are both important in terms of needs in a certain age range (especially given all the small, half forward types we lost in the post-season).

Main will have 2-3 years to demonstrate why he shouldn't be delisted.

Yeo was a fine addition, and Ellis was worth a punt.

I also remember being disappointed that we didn't draft Jamie Bennell in 2008, so that has come full circle.

Given we finished in the bottom 6 teams, and it wasn't a draft where a new expansion team stockpiled picks, it's tempting to be disappointed that we traded away a chance at a probable star. But Sheed looks a good addition, speaks well and is an eagles supporter, plus fills a need in that age range.

Our core team should be peaking over the next couple years, so hopefully good times ahead.

I'm very happy with the players we got. Sheed - say no more. Karpany looks just what we need and have struggled to find for years; has the ability in a year or two to be electric, Barrass - I wouldn't be surprized if he ended up the best of our picks, and Main is our Embly type - versatile and a good mark - looks a very promising prospect; can see him alternating with Darling down the track through half forward and the midfield. For me it is an 8/10 or an A, especially when you add in Yeo, who will be a beauty.

I'll give it a diplomatic 7/10.

Weak draft and we covered most positional bases that needed to be covered. Midfield depth, small forward, outside midfielder/ utility and key defender.

8/10 when i consider the other changes. With Ellis (free), Yeo (pick 28), plus our three rookie upgrades. Which i rate to differing degrees. Throw in the almost certain retention of a very talented Newman on the rookie list and we've had a good off season considering we've turned over nine players from our senior list.

I was planning to answer the opening post when I saw this, which I reckons summarizes my thoughts pretty well.

One thing that has me a little worried is that some of our new draftees seem to be a little on the lightweight side. Barass in particular at 193 cm and 81 kg seems to be about 10kg too light to be an effective tall defender. This makes me remember Tony Notte who was not untalented, but just too lightly built for the AFL. I hope that I am either wrong in this estimation or Barass can put on some weight during the off season.

One thing that has me a little worried is that some of our new draftees seem to be a little on the lightweight side. Barass in particular at 193 cm and 81 kg seems to be about 10kg too light to be an effective tall defender. This makes me remember Tony Notte who was not untalented, but just too lightly built for the AFL. I hope that I am either wrong in this estimation or Barass can put on some weight during the off season.

I wouldnt worry, Barass was 195cm, 85kg at draft camp. Just looking at him, you can tell putting on muscle will not be a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Offseason looks fine on paper but loses points when you compare it to what we could have achieved (ie trading pick 31 instead of 28 and taking Robertson over Karpany IMO).

Offseason looks fine on paper but loses points when you compare it to what we could have achieved (ie trading pick 31 instead of 28 and taking Robertson over Karpany IMO).
Could we have achieved that? That's purely speculation based on no evidence.

And Robertson over Karpany is just a subjective opinion. If we wanted him, we could have got him. We obviously wanted Karpany more.

Could we have achieved that? That's purely speculation based on no evidence.

Pick 31 would have been the best offer on the table from either WA club.

And Robertson over Karpany is just a subjective opinion. If we wanted him, we could have got him. We obviously wanted Karpany more.

This whole thread is asking for subjective opinion.

Pretty stoked actually - we have been so insipid in the preseason for years - not turning the list over - not getting rid of guys who were past it

We've really given it a s**t in the arm this year and whilst I had my doubts over the trade with collyflog I think it has worked - we got dirty sheeds done dirt cheap and yeo would easily be a top 20 pick if he was in the draft - possibly higher - then we got bad karpany who I have a feeling will turn out to be a steal. Add that to whatsisface from hawthorn - if we can get him on the park well sheeeeeeyit

Pretty amped about this draft tbh
gotta love a s**t in arm now and then

If you consider that essentially we got yeo as well

Pretty hard to fault out recruiters this year

If you consider that essentially we got yeo as well

Pretty hard to fault out recruiters this year

My point was that we probably traded more than we needed to, based on the evidence available.

Just my feelings, I personally feel missing out on Dumont as a result of this is a major burn.

My point was that we probably traded more than we needed to, based on the evidence available.

Just my feelings, I personally feel missing out on Dumont as a result of this is a major burn.

If Taylor or dumont turn out significantly better players than karpany then our inability to get Brisbane to accept 31 for yeo will rightly be seen as a blunder. Particularly Taylor who is a similar type player as karpany - dumont we may well have still selected karpany in front of

I think the Sheed and Karpany picks were solid gets at 11 and 31 and definitely add value to our squad.

Not particularly bullish on Barrass and Main's AFL prospects, although I'm only going on what I saw from the U18C games, didn't see them at WAFL Colts. That said, no real standout prospects available at the point IMO...although personally would've preferred to take the punt on Marsh and develop him as a midfielder rather than Main.

It's very interesting the club rated Marsh below Main.

I thought Main looked good from the footage, there looks like some upside there.

I think Karpany is the key pick to the whole draft/trade period. We traded down just to get him. If he pans out it all looks pretty good. I think we know what we'll get from Sheed, he will be a good chance to win the rising star IMO. Barrass is a nice prospect but will take a few years as all tall players do. Main is purely speculative but has some nice tools.

Just picking you up on one point. Not all talls take "a few years".

There are several examples of tall players who are good enough pretty quickly. Our own 92 premiership side had McIntosh and Jakovich as key components.

Obviously in the more recent cases of Glass and Mackenzie it's taken those few years but some players are ready more quickly....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back