Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I have just purchased two books online about DB Cooper. The interesting thing is each book has a totally different theory on who DB Cooper actually was.

The authors of this book "Into The Blast" - Skipp Porteous & Robert Blevins - have concluded Kenny Christiansen was DB Cooper >

db_cooper.jpg

The authors of this book "The Real McCoy" - FBI Agents Bernie Rhodes & Russell P. Calame- have concluded Richard McCoy Jnr was DB Cooper >

51fOy2p-0OL._SL500_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reviews to follow when the books arrive.

Anyone read either of these books already? If so, what did you think???

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Has anyone read this book on 'The Postcard Bandit' Brenden Abbott >

getimage.aspx

I saw the TV mini-series in about 2005 and it was great viewing. Abbott was one charismatic crim in his day. Paying for it now though, as he should be.

Anyone read the book? Recommend it??

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Bought the Brenden Abbott book on Friday and already half read it - and that's quick for me.

Brilliant book. About half of it is in Abbott's own words, and he explains nearly every robbery he pulled, and incident that occurred along the way, including a big section on the 1990 Fremantle jail riot.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Anyone read this book by long time Lewis Moran associate Bert Wrout?

kill-the-morans.jpg

According to Booktopia it is not available for sale in Victoria. So I'm hoping someone in other parts might have read it.

Memories of when Underbelly first came out and it was banned in Victoria - funny thing is everybody you knew had a bootleg copy :)

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
Anyone read this book by long time Lewis Moran associate Bert Wrout?

kill-the-morans.jpg

According to Booktopia it is not available for sale in Victoria. So I'm hoping someone in other parts might have read it.

Memories of when Underbelly first came out and it was banned in Victoria - funny thing is everybody you knew had a bootleg copy :)

If I recall correctly Bertie threatened his ghost writer for perceived unpaid dosh

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
If I recall correctly Bertie threatened his ghost writer for perceived unpaid dosh

I've seen a couple of Bert Wrout interviews lately - though I didn't know about the book til today. I expected Wrout to speak well of Lewis Moran after having been what appeared his sidekick for many years. But old Bert didn't speak well at all of Moran at all.

In fact, if memory serves correctly I think I remember Wrout saying he was glad Lewis was dead - I stand corrected if I I've got that wrong.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
The best factual crime book ive ever read is " The Prince and The Premier " by David Hickie- it is a sensational read

The book covers illegal betting - political corruption - everything in Sydney - in the 60s 70s and early 80s

The title of the book - "The Prince" - refers to huge and flambouyant punter Perc Galea - who allways named his racehorses - something- Prince - the most noteable being Eskimo Prince - who won an AJC Derby in the 60s . "The Premier" -refers to Sir Robert Askin- premier of Nsw in the 60s and 70s

Just a couple of examples from the book - Its Saturday morning- IN THE 1960S - a leading SP Bookie gets into his car in Manning Rd Double Bay - a very affluent suburb - a few gangsters are waiting for him - fill him full of bullets - staggers into his car - makes it 3 qtrs up the hill in New South Head Rd - heading towards Edgecliff- he dies - the car rolls back down the hill and lodges in a ladies frock shop - theres a classic picture of the car wedged halfway in the shop - and halfway on the footpath - apparently the SP - has a little black book on him - which has the name of every bent copper whos on the payroll -so the focus of the Chief Commissioner of Police - isnt the actual murder - but making sure that black book disappears -because his name could be in it !

Theres also plenty on George Freeman - theres that infamous picture of Freeman sitting in the grandstand at Randwick - with chief magistrate Murray Farquar . It covers how Freeman as an illegal SP Bookie basically controlled the Harold Park trots - with leading drivers and even some officials on the payroll - talk about the red hots

Back then - Crime was essentially about illegal gambling - they were certainly colourful - interesting times

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Scooped up 4 books from the bargain rack at the local shopping centre today for $5 each >

Aussie Prison Breaks - Not All Escapees Are Desperados by Joe Tog.

Gangland Crimes That Shocked Australia by Ian Ferguson.

More Australian True Crime Stories - by Joe Tog.

Raw Deal - The Amazing Story of an Ex-Con Who Turned His Life Around - by Wayne McKay.

Now I need a couple of weeks off to get stuck into them. Bring on summer :thumbsu:

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Have a few:

Recently finished "When the Bough Breaks" (sad title hey), on Kathleen Folbigg and the killing of her four young children over a long period of time. Didnt think this was the best book written- i put it down numerous times and took me a while to pick it back up. The case is obviously heartbreaking but i didnt think it went into the court case in enough detail. They actually spend more time exploring the difference between SIDs and other methods babies may or may not die. The extracts from her diary were very interesting reading tho.

One I have from the library which is definitely awesome so far- read 8 chapters in one go, will be finishing this quite soon i think- "Snowtown" by Jeremy Pudney. So many people involved in this case, its hard to keep track of them sometimes! There is like a "family tree" at the front of the book which is a good idea. I have seen the movie a couple of times, so will be interested to see what the book is like.

The cycle of child sexual abuse is evident early in the book. That Bunting tho is a real nutjob.

And also got an anthology (yeah dont normally get these) which looks interesting, called "Cold Cases". Self explanatory title- will probably just flick thru this one, not read it cover to cover.

My deepest, sincerest apologies if this post was too emotional for anyone. :thumbsu:

I'm amazed no one has mentioned this yet, but I have to nominate Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. I believe it's still the highest-selling true crime book ever, and of course the fact that the author was the prosecuting attorney gives it a bit more weight. It's a brilliant book.

He's written others too, I'm thinking of getting his coverage of both the Kennedy assassination and O.J.Simpson. Keep you posted on the results. :)

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I haven't read Helter Skelter. Though I think there's a copy of it kicking around somewhere at home.

Did start reading a book on Manson called In My Own Words by Nuel Emmons.

manson-in-his-own-words.jpg

Emmons shared a jail cell with Manson during a Manson jail sentence that preceded the murders, and won his trust enough for Manson to confide with him for the book years later.

It covers in-depth Manson's early life, and in his own words.

I put it down after only reading a few chapters because it was just not grabbing me.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I haven't read Helter Skelter. Though I think there's a copy of it kicking around somewhere at home.

Did start reading a book on Manson called In My Own Words by Nuel Emmons.

manson-in-his-own-words.jpg

Emmons shared a jail cell with Manson during a Manson jail sentence that preceded the murders, and won his trust enough for Manson to confide with him for the book years later.

It covers in-depth Manson's early life, and in his own words.

I put it down after only reading a few chapters because it was just not grabbing me.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. The Bugliosi one is really great. Detailed but easy to read and follow too. Gives you a great overview of not only the murders but Manson himself.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
The In His Own Words book provides a very insight coverage of Manson's early years, but after that I found it a chore to read. I have it bookmarked in case my enthusiasm to pick it up again increases, but for now I have a pile of more interesting books to knock over.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Have been getting my nose into this book just lately >

aussie-prison-breaks.jpg

Impression thus far is our friend Joe the author is such a typical crim. But the prison escapes make for interesting reading.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hoodrat by Gavin Knight.

Brilliant piece of journalism on British gang crime.

The opening chapters on the "Gunchester" gang scene are unforgettable.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've seen a couple of Bert Wrout interviews lately - though I didn't know about the book til today. I expected Wrout to speak well of Lewis Moran after having been what appeared his sidekick for many years. But old Bert didn't speak well at all of Moran at all.

In fact, if memory serves correctly I think I remember Wrout saying he was glad Lewis was dead - I stand corrected if I I've got that wrong.

Not great mates by the end.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Knocked this one over just the other day >

Very well researched and written, and demonstrates just how hard it is to nail drug importers.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Saw a plug on the TV the other night for a new crime documentary series that looked interesting. I didn't pay too much attention to the name, but think it was something like "The Insider"?

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
A good True Crime series is Great Crimes and Trials of the Twentieth Century. It was an English show from the early 90's, 30 minute episodes. i'd imagine it's on Youtube.

I've seen that on the shelves at the ABC Shop. Almost bought it once. Had it in my hand and then bought something else instead. Might grab a copy next I see it.

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC Williamstown FC
I've seen that on the shelves at the ABC Shop. Almost bought it once. Had it in my hand and then bought something else instead. Might grab a copy next I see it.
Grab them, I'm pretty sure there were two seasons, possibly more. They were on the ABC, really we'll produced shows.

Back