So, how did we do in the Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Spooky17

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We'll have a much better idea of player rankings from this draft in 2-3 seasons time. Personally, I'm quietly confident with of decision at pick 11.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
We'll have a much better idea of player rankings from this draft in 2-3 seasons time. Personally, I'm quietly confident with of decision at pick 11.

Agree timing wise and hope you're right!

It's just going to really bite if it pans out that the other 2 become guns and Sheed doesn't...

Let's hope not.

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Overall think we did pretty well given the state of the list.

Inside Mid (with Kerr retiring and Priddis limitations) - Tick

Sheed was probably the best inside midfielder type in the selection range (6 to 11) on exposed form, some may have more scope for improvement but it certainly isn't a given

Line Breaking Pace - Tick

Yeo/Karpany both have this and also have potential to play midfield

Tall Defender - Tick

Barrass Full back for the colts side

The only annoying part was not keeping pick 28 given the player Brisbane picked up was a slider

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Overall think we did pretty well given the state of the list.

Inside Mid (with Kerr retiring and Priddis limitations) - Tick

Sheed was probably the best inside midfielder type in the selection range (6 to 11) on exposed form, some may have more scope for improvement but it certainly isn't a given

Line Breaking Pace - Tick

Yeo/Karpany both have this and also have potential to play midfield

Tall Defender - Tick

Barrass Full back for the colts side

The only annoying part was not keeping pick 28 given the player Brisbane picked up was a slider
If we are picking up Sliders can I have Wade wells ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
It actually appears that we were fixated on Sheed from a long way out and the deal was done with Collingwood to help us get Yeo. The Eagles must have had good intelligence that Sheed would still be available at pick 11. On a slightly different note my concern with this draft is that several of our new players seem to be fairly light (notably Barrass and Powell), and as they are apparently in the "tall defender" catergory they may take longer to develop. Sheed I expect to make an impact , Yeo as well and I am hoping that Ellis can overcome his injury concerns, likewise Bennell and that they could both be very useful to the Eagles campaign next year.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
It actually appears that we were fixated on Sheed from a long way out and the deal was done with Collingwood to help us get Yeo. The Eagles must have had good intelligence that Sheed would still be available at pick 11. On a slightly different note my concern with this draft is that several of our new players seem to be fairly light (notably Barrass and Powell), and as they are apparently in the "tall defender" catergory they may take longer to develop. Sheed I expect to make an impact , Yeo as well and I am hoping that Ellis can overcome his injury concerns, likewise Bennell and that they could both be very useful to the Eagles campaign next year.

Yeah agree. Moving from Pick 6 to 11 is a big downgrade so there must have also been a gentleman's agreement between us that Collingwood wouldn't take Sheed with 10 if available.

IIRC Bond 007 or someone mentioned that we ranked Sheed 5th in this draft?? - So quite a great result getting him with Pick 11 while getting an extra second rounder to get Karpany.

Biggest gripes with the trade period is backing down to Brisbane and giving up 28 instead of 31 for Yeo - We could have had Taylor instead of Karpany (IF we rated Taylor higher than Karpany)

And if either one of Aish/Scharenberg were ranked in our top 4 - that we could have either one IF we kept pick 6.

Anyway.. The proof will be ina few years time! I'm very excited by the players we traded and drafted in. Exciting times with a new coach, gameplan, and rookies!

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox

Sorry, how did the deal with Collingwood help us get Yeo.

Without that deal we had pick 28. We used pick 28.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
My reading, without any inside info, is that the deal with Brisbane was done, and the Collingwood trade was unrelated. So it was never a case of 28 v 31

The Eagles took a pick earmarked for Sheed, and turned it into Sheed + Karpany. Keeping 6 in the hope a better player turns up is a gamble. You are effectively giving up the certainty of Sheed + a second rounder, for the possibility of someone >Sheed. You look pretty dumb if it doesn't work.

Look at it in reverse. If we had pick 11 and 31, and had targeted Sheed and Karpany, and traded it instead for pick 6, and then ended up with just Sheed, how would everyone have felt.

Besides, for the deal not to make sense, we would need to rate Aish > Sheed + Karpany. It would seem they do not.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
My reading, without any inside info, is that the deal with Brisbane was done, and the Collingwood trade was unrelated. So it was never a case of 28 v 31

The Eagles took a pick earmarked for Sheed, and turned it into Sheed + Karpany. Keeping 6 in the hope a better player turns up is a gamble. You are effectively giving up the certainty of Sheed + a second rounder, for the possibility of someone >Sheed. You look pretty dumb if it doesn't work.

Look at it in reverse. If we had pick 11 and 31, and had targeted Sheed and Karpany, and traded it instead for pick 6, and then ended up with just Sheed, how would everyone have felt.

Besides, for the deal not to make sense, we would need to rate Aish > Sheed + Karpany. It would seem they do not.

Though at the time there was always a risk of Sheed not lasting till Pick 11.

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
So we rated Karpany above Yeo ....

And we rated Sheed above Scharenberg & Aish ...

Cool.

No. It implies we rated (Karpany AND Yeo AND Sheed) over (1 of Karpany/Yeo/Taylor AND 1 of Scharenberg/Aish). I agree with your earlier posts that Yeo doesn't really need to be factored into this equation, but in that case you're comparing Karpany and Sheed vs one of Scharenberg & Aish.

Regardless of how you rate that tradeoff, I still think that even if we could arguably have done better we nonetheless did very well this trade period. Obviously time will reveal all but I'm pretty happy with our list now vs. 2 months ago.

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
No. It implies we rated (Karpany AND Yeo AND Sheed) over (1 of Karpany/Yeo/Taylor AND 1 of Scharenberg/Aish). I agree with your earlier posts that Yeo doesn't really need to be factored into this equation, but in that case you're comparing Karpany and Sheed vs one of Scharenberg & Aish.

Regardless of how you rate that tradeoff, I still think that even if we could arguably have done better we nonetheless did very well this trade period. Obviously time will reveal all but I'm pretty happy with our list now vs. 2 months ago.

Whilst I fully agree that an A+ player is worth more than a B+ and a B (and you have a better chance of getting said A+ player at the pointy end of the draft) there are 2 points worth noting here.

1) WC need list rejuvenation that can only come with extra picks and particularly extra picks within the top 30 of the draft.
2) Whilst I have a personal opinion that Scharenberg was the 2nd best player in the draft, the simple fact is that 4 other drafting teams thought otherwise. If he or Aish were cut and dried above others then they would have got selected at 2 and 3 but they didn't so the general consensus is that neither Aish nor Scharenberg are A+ players as this years crop isn't likely to contain that amount of A+ quality.

There was no doubt a plateau containing 7-8 players including Sheed, and WC took a gamble that in hindsight made perfect sense.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed Vs Aish is in my opinion an easy decision to make as sheed fills our need of a clearance midfielder who can spread from contests! I feel aish will be a great player but with Rosa , Masten , gaff , Sheppard , Ellis our need for outside mids that don't contest inside is not as important this draft . For the Balance of the List Sheed was the right choice IMO and we effectively got Karpany for free . Karpany adds a skill set we don't have in abundance .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back