DC comic universe to be rebooted

Remove this Banner Ad

This is huge...

http://au.comics.ign.com/articles/117/1171671p1.html

At last, DC Comics has shown their hand after weeks of speculation. The rumors of a massive DC Universe reboot have been confirmed. In September, comic fans will be the recipients of 52 #1 issues as the entire line of DC Universe titles gets a relaunch. Everyone from Superman to Booster Gold will be getting a revamp, which includes redesigns and a "younger" continuity.

DC Comics co-publisher Dan Didio told USA Today, "We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line. This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Really, really excited about this.

So from what I've been able to find...

Bruce Wayne is back as the only Batman. In 'Batman and Robin' he'll be with Damian Wayne.
Dick Grayson goes back to being Nightwing.
Barbara Gordon is Batgirl.
Jason Todd gets his own series as Red Hood.
A character called "Batwing". He'll be the first black man to don the cape and cowl.

And that's just Batman...

Are they still making Superman comics? They're not releasing any new Superman graphic novels at my library.

P.S Booster Gold is pretty cool.

...and the consensus is that the reboot is the same old tired cliched rubbish we've seen before.

*SPOILERS*

The universe hasn't even been properly rebooted after flashpoint for some reason...

also, JLA 1 was just mediocre. I can't fault Jim lee art, but we've seen the Hal/Bruce banter all before...nothing to see here at all folks

So from what I've been able to find...

Bruce Wayne is back as the only Batman.

That's pretty s**t.

I've actually enjoyed the Batman Incorporated stuff along with other Batman stories.

Nightwing is probably the worst Batman character. Ever.

Superman has been crap for years, I cancelled my order last year.

I just can't get excited about punces in hosiery. Give me the Goon beating up zombies and the Punisher blasting the crap out of crims. The Dark Tower has been pretty awesome.

Re: Justice League #1. I liked it. Although I'm hoping some differences in the characters come out, because starting again with the exact same characters would be stupid. Jim Lee's artwork phenomenal as ever.

Re: Chief's post, I agree that Batman's been working great lately. I wasn't the biggest fan of Incorporated, but I was absolutely loving Detective Comics with Scott Snyder writing it. The whole arc with James Gordon was outstanding, and I feel all the Batman titles complimented each other perfectly. Detective, Batman, Batman & Robin, Incorporated all worked in sync with each other. Wasn't a great fan of 'The Dark Knight' though.

Also agree Superman Grounded sucked. I think even t he writer realised as he left halfway through the arc and left other people to finish it. Have enjoyed Action Comics of late though, Reign of Doomsday has been pretty good.

Not a fan of them throwing out the classic numbering for all the long running comics.

DC comics seems to me to have very poor editors, they let the writers get away with way too much lazy writing which has resulted in Ret-Con after Ret-Con, Reboot after Reboot.

Give it a couple of years after the end of the writers first runs and we will see the same thing that started creeping after crisis, They'll then have a "Zero Hour" to try to fix it and then they will hire the latest "great" author who is too stuck in a past era who will totally disrespect the past of other newer popular characters in order to just morph them into something resembling his favorite thing from the past.

See Geoff Johns and what he did to Impulse and Superboy. Both had succesful solo comics with fairly tight history and orgins. Johns gets his hand on them and "improves" them at the expense of what made the characters who they were.

So its a month in, what are the thoughts?

Its pretty obvious the reboot was a way to get old Vertigo/Wildstorm properties into the DC Universe, and that remains to be seen whether it payed off.

But as a whole, a lot of the new titles seem kinda cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So its a month in, what are the thoughts?

Its pretty obvious the reboot was a way to get old Vertigo/Wildstorm properties into the DC Universe, and that remains to be seen whether it payed off.

But as a whole, a lot of the new titles seem kinda cool.
Way too much Batman family books

Not a huge comic book reader, so how does this work basically everything that has happened in the super hero universe has been wiped and they are starting from scratch? I know when I read up about different characters some of the story's was contradict each other ie characters are killed off then written back in etc with the explanation that it happen in an alternative reality...

Not a huge comic book reader, so how does this work basically everything that has happened in the super hero universe has been wiped and they are starting from scratch? I know when I read up about different characters some of the story's was contradict each other ie characters are killed off then written back in etc with the explanation that it happen in an alternative reality...
It doesn't work they just created a huge mess because they half arsed the planning, pretty much all of Batman history still exist yet it now happened over a 5 year time frame, this includes at least 4 Robins, Green Lanterns History mostly exists but again doesn't really fit with the new time frame, Superman has been completely wiped yet the death still happened yet every detail has to have changed because they completely rewrote him and his supporting cast and family

Started getting into comics over Christmas - bought the Injustice game and got hooked on it and ended up buying the comics. Really like the crossover stuff. Been thinking of looking into the Justice League stuff. Anyone got any tips for a relative newbie?

Loved the Batman movies (Nolan) and watching Arrow (TV) - wouldn't mind doing a bit of reading on both of those characters maybe.

Started getting into comics over Christmas - bought the Injustice game and got hooked on it and ended up buying the comics. Really like the crossover stuff. Been thinking of looking into the Justice League stuff. Anyone got any tips for a relative newbie?

Loved the Batman movies (Nolan) and watching Arrow (TV) - wouldn't mind doing a bit of reading on both of those characters maybe.
Batman: year one is a good place to start
The killing joke, knight fall and the dark knight returns are some of the more well known batman comics

You will like justice league:Tower of Babel as a batman fan.

Batman: year one is a good place to start
The killing joke, knight fall and the dark knight returns are some of the more well known batman comics

You will like justice league:Tower of Babel as a batman fan.

Thanks for the tips JB - might give those all a look next time I do some shopping! :thumbsu:

What series are everyone currently reading? Injustice Year 2 has just started.

Injustice Year 2 and Earth 2 are both done by Australian Tom Taylor. I'm reading both and they're a blast.

Keeping up with Forever Evil in general.

Was reading Batman but that went stupid quickly, so I ditched that.

I'm reading Injustice as well which is awesome!

Also read Batman Hush over the weekend - great read! One of my friends also has the first 6 volumes of the new 52 Justice League and Catwoman comics - will give them a look as well.

Will have a look for that tower of babel next time I do some shopping

Remove this Banner Ad

Back