Arctic Monkeys touring Australia/NZ - May 2014

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wow, so this is an instantaneous sell-out. Well, GA has. I even snared tickets to Radiohead in Melbs, a band heaps bigger and who had a ten year Aussie absence instead of a 12 month one, and I didn't have an issue.

This is actually pretty staggering but also impressive. I'm not paying $107 to sit down at a venue like Rod Laver for an energetic band like this. That'd be a prick tease and not much of a good time.

They have a day between their Adelaide and Melbourne shows, and also a day before their Sydney show. I can see them doing a second show simply because Frontier will make an absolute killing from this. They never announce two flat-out shows this big for this kind of band (that'll change next time around), but I'm really crossing my fingers.

class78

All Australian
Jun 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
If they have a 2nd show in Melbourne, should I attend that or the original show in Adelaide? 2nd show vibes aren't quite as good but Adelaide is pretty meh.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Got a couple of tickets. Floor space was sold out which is disappointing though, was not expecting it to even be close to a sell out at Perth Arena.

quickstraw

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
E-Girls
Bland (AM the album which I thought is what you were initially referring to).

Whatever People Say I am & the EP Who the Fuc* are the Arctic Monkeys are way superior. These guys have had their day I reckon.

Last edited:

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
Here There and Everywhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
Curious as to where people place Arctic Monkey's in the music world?

plenty of discussion has been done over the years, they seem pretty well loved here..

well, right now is most definitely their commercial peak globally.
I don't think they have made a bad album.

where do they sit?
guess they have made that big jump in America now. There is not another British band from the 2000's bar coldplay who have done that.
That was a nice win for them. But i guess it had to be them if it was any of them uk bands from that mid 00's era.
Franz Ferdinand had the song.. You could argue Bloc Party prob had the album.. But Arctic Monkeys have had the longevity

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Already have a thread, no? Can the mod merge all the discussions, or at least it with the tour one?

They're probably my favourite active band, certainly in my top few. I don't think Alex Turner is the best lyricist in England (his trajectory is interesting, the way he's gotten more into poetry, allusions, and metaphors than simply Mike Skinner-like smart observations; I think Gareth Campesinos! is the best wordsmith in England. Incredibly funny, wry, angry, and romantic) but he's still fantastic. I can't help but grin sometimes when he pronounces certain lines.

I don't really like Who The *... Cigarette Smoker is potentially my least favourite ever by them (along with Sketchead). No Buses though is probably one of my favourites. Sounds well dreary, a nice atmosphere. I think it exemplifies his way of writing about love a bit too, or at least how he used to – girls are like buses: when you need one, there's none around. When you've got one, a heap more seem to be right behind it.

The other thing is, I don't think a band has made me happier with myself. Except for maybe Bloc Party. It's probably due to AM's trajectory to these uber cool pricks who do nothing live it up and marry models, after being short and skinny pimple-faced working class kids. Plus songs like Arabella and R U Mine have more bravado in them than much else I've heard. To be able to do that is just a nice thing.

But there's this quote somewhere about how your favourite music says more about you than whoever's singing it. Now half his appeal is how normal he inherently is. But the way Al says thing even now just resonate so much. He's an unbelievably romantic person, even the way he would romanticise the worst nights out possible.

My favourite is the first album. My least is Humbug. My second is probably Suck it and See. I love the guitar tones in that thing even though the lyricism isn't at the top his pile – The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala is my all-time favourite by em. Versatile. Makes you feel a thousand bucks sometimes. Sing anooother fooooookin

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
plenty of discussion has been done over the years, they seem pretty well loved here..

well, right now is most definitely their commercial peak globally.
I don't think they have made a bad album.

where do they sit?
guess they have made that big jump in America now. There is not another British band from the 2000's bar coldplay who have done that.
That was a nice win for them. But i guess it had to be them if it was any of them uk bands from that mid 00's era.
Franz Ferdinand had the song.. You could argue Bloc Party prob had the album.. But Arctic Monkeys have had the longevity
It's really exciting where they're at now. I mean they're one of the biggest bands in the world. You can't see them writing a bad album considering they haven't yet and have just written their most interesting, self-assured, ambitious album that shows how much they've improved musically. They've hit the mainstream so I can see them becoming a genuine household name in Australia – the kind of band your mum even knows – with the next one.

They and Vampire Weekend are the most exciting bands to be following right now. The six month period where all I listened to where their last albums was special. I'll always love that period.

quickstraw

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
E-Girls
I don't really like Who The ****... Cigarette Smoker is potentially my least favourite ever by them (along with Sketchead). No Buses though is probably one of my favourites. Sounds well dreary, a nice atmosphere.
I come at them from the rock angle so I think cigarette smoker s one of their best. part rock, part punk. They have quite a strong influence from the Smiths. This must be the abgle you come from.

. Plus songs like Arabella and R U Mine have more bravado in them than much else I've heard. To be able to do that is just a nice thing.
You need to get out more. A lot more. Araballa is my favourite track on the album probably because they go a bit more rock and away from that over produced sound they have going on with AM.

AM reminds me of Odyssey #5. Not a bad record by any stretch but over produced into safe blandness. I don't dislike the songs but they just don't have anything in them that kicks.[/quote]

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
I think they're at the height of their powers (although I'd be more than happy to be wrong). Their first album just has that classic sound so will always me my favourite of theirs but AM is such a great rock album

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
It's really exciting where they're at now. I mean they're one of the biggest bands in the world. You can't see them writing a bad album considering they haven't yet and have just written their most interesting, self-assured, ambitious album that shows how much they've improved musically. They've hit the mainstream so I can see them becoming a genuine household name in Australia – the kind of band your mum even knows – with the next one.

They and Vampire Weekend are the most exciting bands to be following right now. The six month period where all I listened to where their last albums was special. I'll always love that period.

yeah its a great position to be in. will be interesting what the next move will be.
i always think they are gonna take an extended break but they always bounce back within a few years. would not be hurt if alex does a mellow solo thing, shadow puppets or something defferent entirely

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
I come at them from the rock angle so I think cigarette smoker s one of their best. part rock, part punk. They have quite a strong influence from the Smiths. This must be the abgle you come from.

You need to get out more. A lot more. Araballa is my favourite track on the album probably because they go a bit more rock and away from that over produced sound they have going on with AM.

AM reminds me of Odyssey #5. Not a bad record by any stretch but over produced into safe blandness. I don't dislike the songs but they just don't have anything in them that kicks.
[/quote]

yeah..

but i think the mission statement for AM was to be really smooth and groove based.
take it back to the turn of the century when the likes of dr dre were creating tracks with alot of space. lots of layered vocals, slick..
i think they nailed it whilst still rocking hard when it needed it.

this tells the full story
http://open.spotify.com/user/nme.com/playlist/6F5gEFTCx8WpPashaSWegL

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've been a fan since Day 1, bought all their albums on day of release. That said, I would rank their more recent albums as their best;

Suck it and See
AM
Humbug
Favourite Worst Nightmare
WPSIA,TWIN - still a classic

After Suck it and See, I predicted they would evolve into the enduring arena rock band of their generation. After AM, it certainly appears to be heading that way. Most reliable rock band at the moment, can be relied on for consistent quality and a new album every 2 years.

Back