List Mgmt. Father-Sun Watch (List in OP)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
AFL
2031 - Kai Rischitelli (also F/S eligible for Brisbane)
2036 - Charlie Swallow
2037 - Levi Ablett (also F/S eligible for Geelong)
2038 - Isaiah Hall
2038 - Reef Harbrow
2038 - Robbie Virgo (also M/S eligible for Brisbane)
2038 - Archie Witts
2040 - Stevie Thompson
2041 - Ezra Ablett (also F/S eligible for Geelong)
2041 - Will Fiorini
2041 - Rudy Weller
2042 - Theo Powell
2042 - Teddy Day

AFLW
2030 - Halo Hunt
2031 - Emmy Fraser (also F/D eligible for Collingwood)
2032 - Gigi Hunt
2033 - Riley Harbrow (also F/D eligible for Bulldogs)
2033 - Bodhi Hunt
2033 - Molly Malceski (also F/D eligible for Sydney)
2033 - Lia Rischitelli (also F/D eligible for Brisbane)
2035 - Penelope Hall (also F/D eligible for North Melbourne)
2036 - Koa Shaw (also F/D eligible for Carlton)
2036 - Aimee Smith (also F/D eligible for Geelong)
2036 - Harriet Virgo (also M/D eligible for Brisbane)
2037 - Goldie Casboult (also F/D eligible for Carlton)
2038 - Rhaea Lemmens
2038 - Bobbie Thompson
2039 - Tahj Greenwood (also F/D eligible for Adelaide & North Melbourne)
2039 - Grace Ablett (Also F/D eligible for Geelong)
2039 - Marloe Weller (also F/D eligible for Fremantle)
2039 - Grace Witts (also F/D eligible for Collingwood)
2040 - Charlotte Day
2040 - Penelope Lemmens
2040 - Olivia Sexton
2041 - Daisy Atkins (also F/D eligible for Adelaide)

Let me know if you are aware of any others that I've missed and I'll add them to the list above.

Should be fun to follow the journeys of these junior players and hopefully a few end up on our AFL and AFLW lists. Kai Rischitelli is getting to that age now where he should start playing junior football soon (if he isn't already) so all eyes will be on Kai in a few years time when the prospect of our first ever father-son pick becomes a definite possibility.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
I think K is the only one left with kids now that Flash is gone but i am not 100%

K has a daughter so pending any massive swings in the way aFL is played we wont be seeing her in SUNS gear.

I think there may be one more kid on the way though haha. Not 100% sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think K is the only one left with kids now that Flash is gone but i am not 100%

K has a daughter so pending any massive swings in the way aFL is played we wont be seeing her in SUNS gear.

I think there may be one more kid on the way though haha. Not 100% sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's awesome news if it's true. I think the bigger hurdle may actually be getting K to play 100 games. I wonder if Gary Ablett the third will want to play for us or the Cats?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting reading about the zoned players over the years. Definitely some hit and misses. It'll be interesting see what sort of talent the academy pathway produces.

Jacob Jackson

Rookie
Jun 21, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mills a chance I think, tall, athletic mobile and can play both ends, he played most top up games last year. Needs time to develop but will be a good player. Similar to the Jono freeman pick up by lions.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Heard through the grapevine that all the talented players on the Gold Coast have headed to the Southport Sharks now that Broadbeach and Labrador have been kicked out of the NEAFL. My initial fears with having one NEAFL team was that Southport would stick to what they know and some Gold Coast juniors would be held back but it would appear that they have fully embraced everyone from the GC. It'll basically result in a Gold Coast super team and almost all of the Suns academy players will come out of Southport. Not a bad result considering the close relationship the Suns already have with the Sharks. Good chance Lachie Weller will be playing for the Sharks in 2014.

As for other teams, it would appear they are trying to create a more professional environment with all the talent from north Brisbane playing for Aspley and the southern talent playing for Redland. So basically two talent pathways for the Lions zone and one for the Suns. The competition itself will become much stronger with just three local Queensland teams and no reserves. Add to that the fact that Southport and Aspley are financially very well off and you have a competitive and financially safe competition. The gulf between the AFL reserve sides and the local teams will be much smaller next year.

Offsider

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Gold Coast
The Queensland U18 side is at this stage going to play in the TAC cup. IMO this should aid the development of both clubs academy kids as they will be playing consistently against the better Victorian kids. Hopefully this will address the embarrassing record that Qld has at developing the young kids, especially the drop off from their performances as underage prospects to their draft age as many Qld players have really dropped off recently.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Queensland U18 side is at this stage going to play in the TAC cup. IMO this should aid the development of both clubs academy kids as they will be playing consistently against the better Victorian kids. Hopefully this will address the embarrassing record that Qld has at developing the young kids, especially the drop off from their performances as underage prospects to their draft age as many Qld players have really dropped off recently.

Could you please provide some sort of link that confirms QLD is going to enter the TAC Cup in 2014? I have heard this from a few people but have found zero confirmation.

Offsider

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Could you please provide some sort of link that confirms QLD is going to enter the TAC Cup in 2014? I have heard this from a few people but have found zero confirmation.

I am led to believe that it is not definitive at this stage, and it is more of a proposal that has been given some very strong thought. It has been raised due to the concerns that have arisen over the development, or lack there of, of Qld prospects in the final year. At this stage what seems to be the norm is player A dominates his younger year at 17 but in his draft year at 18 he regresses. The academy was aimed at fixing this concern but speaking on behalf on the Brisbane Academy I would argue it is not really helping development much, although I am not too sure about yours. The Academy Kids at Brisbane seem to play in the ressies and are shunted to the not so popular positions (Back Pocket or Bench) and are regularly ignored by the actual Lions players who prefer to use each other. There development seems to be hindered by playing in the Lions reserves at NEAFL level, and it would be preferable and beneficial for them to play in the TAC cup or an elite U18 comp.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am led to believe that it is not definitive at this stage, and it is more of a proposal that has been given some very strong thought. It has been raised due to the concerns that have arisen over the development, or lack there of, of Qld prospects in the final year. At this stage what seems to be the norm is player A dominates his younger year at 17 but in his draft year at 18 he regresses. The academy was aimed at fixing this concern but speaking on behalf on the Brisbane Academy I would argue it is not really helping development much, although I am not too sure about yours. The Academy Kids at Brisbane seem to play in the ressies and are shunted to the not so popular positions (Back Pocket or Bench) and are regularly ignored by the actual Lions players who prefer to use each other. There development seems to be hindered by playing in the Lions reserves at NEAFL level, and it would be preferable and beneficial for them to play in the TAC cup or an elite U18 comp.

I sincerely hope you are correct. It would help the development of youth in Queensland a lot. Let's hope it comes to fruition.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jarred Ellis became the first academy player to be drafted by the Suns without being taken through a zone selection. Worth mentioning three other Gold Coasters were put on rookie lists today as well in the form of Fraser Thurlow (Essendon), Joel Tippett (North Melbourne) and Brent Renouf (Port Adelaide). Two more Queenslanders (Isaac Conway and Archie Smith) were also picked up by the Lions today in the rookie draft.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Offsider the 2014 TAC Cup draw was released back in December and it turns out the Queensland Scorpions will compete in six matches through the TAC Cup. Here are the matches:

13 April - vs Oakleigh @ Warrawee Park
3 May - vs Sandringham @ QLD venue
11 May - vs Gippsland @ Morwell Football Ground
31 May - vs Eastern Rangers @ QLD venue
26 July - vs North Ballarat @ QLD venue
2 August - vs Geelong @ Avalon Airport Oval

It's a great outcome for Queensland footy. I imagine at least one of those three home games in Queensland will be held on the Gold Coast. Hopefully a few of the Gold Coast academy players make the Queensland team and get some experience against the strongest under 18 teams in the country. Could result in quite a few Queenslanders getting drafted in 2014.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone know when the 2014 academy list will be released? It'd be good to know which players may be on the cards to be drafted by the Suns at the end of the season.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Not sure, Matchu.

The Suns Academy vs the Lions Academy was on the weekend. I'm told that a few GC boys impressed.

Cody Filewood kicked a few bags for the 16's QLD last year and chimed in with another 5. Moves and marking ability similar to that of LeCras. Only stands at 182cm.

Trask, Weller and Cassidy Haberfield all honourable mentions.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure, Matchu.

The Suns Academy vs the Lions Academy was on the weekend. I'm told that a few GC boys impressed.

Cody Filewood kicked a few bags for the 16's QLD last year and chimed in with another 5. Moves and marking ability similar to that of LeCras. Only stands at 182cm.

Trask, Weller and Cassidy Haberfield all honourable mentions.
Do we have any idea how many of these guys are actually eligible? I believe both Lachlan Weller and Darcy Trask fall short of the five years required to be academy drafted. I also presume Cody Filewood isn't the draft age in 2014 given he was playing 16s last year.

Cassidy Haberfield is an interesting one. He must be the brother of former Gold Coast Suns player Jesse Haberfield. If I remember correctly, Jesse was a gun in his junior days so hopefully Cassidy possesses the same abilities.

Last edited:

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From 5 days ago:

Trio aims for state selection to make or break AFL scene

MDM_27-02-2014_SPORT_04_MKY260214afl_fct1024x772_t460.jpg

THREE Mackay prodigies have been given a huge opportunity to shine in the make or break AFL scene.

Josh Chiswell, Cody Filewood and Jordan Harding were selected to represent the Gold Coast Suns Academy squad to take on the Brisbane Lions Academy this weekend, from which a Queensland under-18 side will be selected.

For Chiswell, who turns 18 this year, it's the last opportunity he'll get to make the most of the AFL pathway offered to Suns Academy players.

"I'm one of the older blokes, so through the academy it's pretty much the last shot I've got at it (making the Queensland team), so I'll just go down there all guns blazing," he said.

"If not, I'll keep playing rep footy for Mackay and keep progressing and maybe get seen, I guess.

"I guess it all comes down to that once you're not in the academy system.

"I've already played a NEAFL (North East Australian Football League) game for the Suns last year on Anzac Day, so I've had a bit of a taste for it.

"At the end of this year I'll most likely move down to Brisbane for university; that opens the options a little bit more."

Filewood and Harding are both eligible for selection again next year.

"It's a great opportunity for me and Jordan, coming up in the bottom age group - it's definitely a good advantage for next year in our footy careers," Filewood said.

Harding added: "We'll just go down there and see what the Gold Coast kids and Brisbane Lions kids do with their footy and just try to get the best experience we can out of it."

The boys arrive on the Gold Coast this afternoon.

They will participate in a training session at Metricon Stadium tonight.

So Josh Chiswell is eligible this year while Cody Filewood and Jordan Harding are available next year.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
Who thinks we should get Gary Ablett and co. to legally adopt all the future Jaegers and Jacks :D

We need a breeding lab with all this talent hahaha. Just breed all the top talent. Jack with Jaegers sister etc. Talk about sustained success.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
We need a breeding lab with all this talent hahaha. Just breed all the top talent. Jack with Jaegers sister etc. Talk about sustained success.

Maybe a Dixon blended with a bit of Jacks sister could be interesting.

A 200cm Jack Martin with a beard would be a handy player

Back