INXS V Oasis

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Back in about 1995/96 I remember quite vividly when Oasis won an award - best new band or similar. The award was presented by Michael Hutchins to Oasis. Noel Gallagher than got up and in his wisdom ranted that " a has been shouldn't be presenting an award to an upcoming band" As someone who loved Oasis I found this to be a really low blow by Noel, and apparently Michael Hutchins took it quite badly - as you'd expect.

As the years have passed, and with the newfound popularity of INXS and the subsequent demise of Oasis, I can't help but think that as we speak INXS have proven to be a superior band. My main points of reference are as follows:

1. Inxs's songs have aged far better than Oasis's. Apart from Wonderwall and Live Forever, most of the other songs seem a little bland and repetitive these days. In contrast, songs such as New Sensation, Never Tear us Apart, Suicide Blonde and countless others could easily be hits if released today.

2. Inxs had a really broad eclectic and diverse range of songs. They were never shy to experiment and has some amazing riffs, chords and melodies. After Morning glory, most Oasis songs sound pretty much the same and to be honest the rest of the albums were pretty shite.

3. Lyrically Inxs's songs were far superior to Oasis's. Noel Gallagher would have killed to have been able to write words such as " if I hurt you ill make wine from your tears"

I reckon Michael Hutchins is looking down now and thinking who's the has been now Noel. Inxs greatest Australian band ever.

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MUFC,BristolR, GB,Duke,LAA,NYK
Most of the Oasis songs i like weren't the singles released. Im one of the few Oasis fans that hated Wonderwall. Wouldnt even be in their top 5 songs IMO.
In regards to INXS... was never a big fan but they would go down as the better band between the 2 due to longevity cause of Oasis's breakup. INXS had some cracking songs though and i listen to Suicide Blonde and Disappear all the time

Wayne Arnold

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2012
Locked and Loaded
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
ASADA, Good Thymosin, Prahran U 9s
I guess INXS and Hutchence had the last laugh with this gem.

Noel was deeply hurt by this attack and never quite recovered
Hutchence went on to accidentally kill himself via the old asphyxi-wank. He must be looking down laughing at where Noel is at now.

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I guess INXS and Hutchence had the last laugh with this gem.

Noel was deeply hurt by this attack and never quite recovered
Hutchence went on to accidentally kill himself via the old asphyxi-wank. He must be looking down laughing at where Noel is at now.

hardly....Oasis could still sell out stadiums when they were so called 'irrelevent' and Noel knocked back a $35 million dollar offer to reunite Oasis last year.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I was a big fan of Oasis - Definitely Maybe's Wall of Sound and What's the Story was class A back in the 90s.

INXS were better over the journey though and will be better remembered in the pantheon of rock.

Like Andrew Farris said in the Ch7 made for tv movie, INXS made their own sound and that sound holds up better than Oasis tired old hasbeen 90s sound today.

Hutchence shits all over Noel as a frontman too but Hutchence was a GOAT frontman so no shame in that.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hardly....Oasis could still sell out stadiums when they were so called 'irrelevent' and Noel knocked back a $35 million dollar offer to reunite Oasis last year.

If Hutchence came back from the dead, INXS would sell out every major stadium about 3 times over.

Wayne Arnold

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2012
Locked and Loaded
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Hutchence shits all over Noel as a frontman too but Hutchence was a GOAT frontman so no shame in that.
Since when was Noel the frontman of Oasis? Pretty sure that was Liam's role and he did it just as well as anyone. Oasis were the last great rock band (if you exclude Nickelback). The best and most important British band of the last 20 years.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Since when was Noel the frontman of Oasis? Pretty sure that was Liam's role and he did it just as well as anyone. Oasis were the last great rock band (if you exclude Nickelback). The best and most important British band of the last 20 years.

They kind of took it in turns, Liam was the main frontman on stage but he still wasn't as good as Hutchence.

Liam would just stand still with arms behind his back while Hutchence prowled around the stage and got the crowd going.

I also agree with La Dispute that Radiohead are the best and most important British band of the last 20 years.

Wayne Arnold

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2012
Locked and Loaded
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
They kind of took it in turns, Liam was the main frontman on stage but he still wasn't as good as Hutchence.

Liam would just stand still with arms behind his back while Hutchence prowled around the stage and got the crowd going.

I also agree with La Dispute that Radiohead are the best and most important British band of the last 20 years.
And that's all he needed to do to have the crowd hooked. Had the same stage presence as Ian Brown. Radiohead turned to s**t after Kid A and I wouldn't consider them a great rock band anyway. Oasis inspired and were the voice of a generation, in Britain. Not Radiohead.

Bang a gong is pretty ace and so too Cigarettes and Alcohol. Don't think Noel has ever hid the fact he borrows/steals from others. But he then goes on to make it his own. Feck me, Kid A was pretty much an Aphex Twin record (at the time, he called Radiohead out), doesn't make it s**t though.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Radiohead turned to s**t after Kid A and I wouldn't consider them a great rock band anyway. Oasis inspired and were the voice of a generation, in Britain. Not Radiohead.

Bang a gong is pretty ace and so too Cigarettes and Alcohol. Don't think Noel has ever hid the fact he borrows/steals from others. But he then goes on to make it his own. Feck me, Kid A was pretty much an Aphex Twin record (at the time, he called Radiohead out), doesn't make it s**t though.

Radiohead produced all of Amnesiac, Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows after Kid A. All Of which are better albums than anything post (What's The Story).

There's a huge difference between appropriating ideas and blatantly ripping songs off. Sure, Radiohead are influenced by Aphex (along with krautrock, 70's electro and free jazz) but they don't steal ideas. Oasis do.

Wayne Arnold

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2012
Locked and Loaded
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Radiohead produced all of Amnesiac, Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows after Kid A. All Of which are better albums than anything post (What's The Story).

There's a huge difference between appropriating ideas and blatantly ripping songs off. Sure, Radiohead are influenced by Aphex (along with krautrock, 70's electro and free jazz) but they don't steal ideas. Oasis do.
And those records IMO are all pretty average, the first two fairly s**t. Those influences would be the main reason why. Oasis have produced average records ever since Morning Glory, I never said otherwise.

Aphex twin thought Kid A was rubbish and a blatant rip off but I guess he should have said an appropriation to appease Thom and Johnny.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
And those records IMO are all pretty average, the first two fairly s**t. Those influences would be the main reason why. Oasis have produced average records ever since Morning Glory, I never said otherwise.

Aphex twin thought Kid A was rubbish and a blatant rip off but I guess he should have said an appropriation to appease Thom and Johnny.

That's down to personal opinion - HTTT is one of my favourites and all three contained some stellar tunes.

Of course Aphex Twin thought Kid A was a blatant rip off. Despite making exceptional music, the guy's a massive knob. Please post a relevant Aphex Twin example which clearly shows them 'ripping off' any specific songs. It sounds as though you're arguing hearsay.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yeah, that's garbage. Kid A was not a rip off of anything. Sure, Thom had listened to Warp records a lot in the late 90s, but they were just directional influences, nothing more. There is nothing to say he was inspired more by Aphex than Aphex's contemporaries. Hell, I remember him raving about at least 2 Autechre albums, and there were others as well. Aphex became irrelevant around the time of Kid A, and just spat the dummy. There is a sheer chasm between influences and rip off. I hardly think Aphex released an album that sounded like Kid A.

Talk Talk & Slowdive are bands that had previously also gone down a somewhat post rock direction after more chart friendly music (to critical acclaim as well).

Radiohead also havent really delivered an ordinary album since their debut. Oasis only have 3-4 albums that really received any love.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
And that's all he needed to do to have the crowd hooked. Had the same stage presence as Ian Brown. Radiohead turned to s**t after Kid A and I wouldn't consider them a great rock band anyway. Oasis inspired and were the voice of a generation, in Britain. Not Radiohead.

Oasis were awesome live at their mid 90s peak but that was mainly due to Noel's songwriting and the rest of the band creating the wall of noise rather than Liam Gallagher being an awesome frontman.

It started to go downhill when Tony McCarroll got sacked, apparently the Gallagher brothers hated him but his drumwork on Definitely Maybe was underrated.

When Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs and Paul "Guigsy" McGuigan left it was game over for Oasis. They tried to replace them with younger cooler looking rockstar blokes but it weren't the same

People always think Oasis is just about the Gallagher brothers but a big part of their initial success was the great engine room of McCarroll, Arthurs and McGuigan. Once they left Oasis went to s**t.

The best parts of Definitely Maybe was when Liam shut his gob and the band just rocked out.

Like the intro and last couple of minutes of Columbia.

As for Radiohead they went downhill after OK Computer but that album was that f***ing awesome it still makes them the best and most important British band of the last 20 years even if the rest of their album's consisted of Sooz fart MMSs.

OK Computer was the musical equivalent of planting a flag at the top of Everest, where do you go from there?

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
What a weird comparison.

Liam's thing was to slag bands off. Good on him. He's a prick but why not? What else do you want in an entitled rockstar? Just because he slagged off INXS, who were has beens at that point and when Oasis were essentially at their biggest, it doesn't mean you should compare them. I'd rather the tired old but always fun Blur v Oasis – two bands with arrogant frontmen and singles that still resonate but albums that are a chore to burn through.

And Radiohead? How do they come into this? Radiohead are way more consistent, their lows nowhere even near Oasis's nadir, and their highs bigger. They're one of the most important bands of all-time.

And if you want to talk about inspirations, Britpop inspired no one. Just a bunch of shitty imitators who no one remembers. Meanwhile INXS didn't kickstart Australia as a country who churned out musicians, and Oasis weren't massively inspirational either. Just because a band is massive it doesn't mean they made a few million kids want to play guitar. Sometimes really good bands don't even do that.

For what's I think INXS are really corny or utensil-rocky. The only certified banger by INXS is Don't Change. And that thing was done better by a band who had a singer living off meth, which is saying something. The production is terrible and the instrumentation needs to be way more angular for that kind of riff. If you want to talk about the best Aussie band of all time, as GreatBradScott said, you'd be looking at The Church and Go-Betweens (it's a shame The Lucksmiths will never be in the same breath – they're on that shelf). INXS are just gay. AC/DC are much more worthy of putting in some kind of cultural cannon than INXS.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
INXS were more for girly boys(though their early stuff was quite good).

Oasis all the way.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
And Radiohead? How do they come into this? Radiohead are way more consistent, their lows nowhere even near Oasis's nadir, and their highs bigger. They're one of the most important bands of all-time.

They do have a lot of pretentious fans I'll grant them that.

Jun 24, 2008
tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What a weird comparison.

Liam's thing was to slag bands off. Good on him. He's a prick but why not? What else do you want in an entitled rockstar? Just because he slagged off INXS, who were has beens at that point and when Oasis were essentially at their biggest, it doesn't mean you should compare them. I'd rather the tired old but always fun Blur v Oasis – two bands with arrogant frontmen and singles that still resonate but albums that are a chore to burn through.

And if you want to talk about inspirations, Britpop inspired no one. Just a bunch of shitty imitators who no one remembers. Meanwhile INXS didn't kickstart Australia as a country who churned out musicians, and Oasis weren't massively inspirational either. Just because a band is massive it doesn't mean they made a few million kids want to play guitar. Sometimes really good bands don't even do that.

For what's I think INXS are really corny or utensil-rocky. The only certified banger by INXS is Don't Change. And that thing was done better by a band who had a singer living off meth, which is saying something. The production is terrible and the instrumentation needs to be way more angular for that kind of riff. If you want to talk about the best Aussie band of all time, as GreatBradScott said, you'd be looking at The Church and Go-Betweens (it's a shame The Lucksmiths will never be in the same breath – they're on that shelf). INXS are just gay. AC/DC are much more worthy of putting in some kind of cultural cannon than INXS.

Spoken by someone who obviously wasn't there when they broke in Australia.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
inxs easily.

oasis had the title of the most overrated band in the world until muse kicked them off the perch.

Back