Toast Vale - Dean Bailey

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
Today, the sad news was published of the death of Essendon former player Dean Bailey due to lung cancer.

For the younger followers on the site, Dean played 53 games (33 wins, 1 draw, 19 losses and 3 finals) with the club during his career from 1986 -1992. Mixing it up in the centre and as a general utility player around the square, he finished with 19 goals and averaged just on 13 disposals a game (23 his best).

A small side note is that Dean was the last player to wear number 31, before it was taken over by Dustin Fletcher in 1993.

A sad loss for the Essendon family.

OldBailsL.jpg
225520-c2bf5d50-a7e3-11e3-94c1-d923b8b77352.jpg

Very, very sad news.

47 is awfully young. Cancer really is a disgusting disease.

I imagine the club will release a tribute of sorts in time. The word seems to be that he was a very popular presence at Adelaide, too.

Rest in peace, Dean. And condolences to all family and friends.

Very, very sad news.

47 is awfully young. Cancer really is a disgusting disease.

I imagine the club will release a tribute of sorts in time. The word seems to be that he was a very popular presence at Adelaide, too.

Rest in peace, Dean. And condolences to all family and friends.

Everywhere he went Doss. Port have nothing but the highest regard for him, and the tributes are flowing thick and fast from the Melbourne players (current and ex) too.

Word is he was just a champion bloke, one that was taken way too soon.

RIP Dean Bailey.

Such shocking and unwelcome news. Obviously unlucky as a senior player and coach, but by God he was a part of a coaching panel that delivered the single greatest season of all time. For that alone he would be an integral part of the Essendon family and it's history. A truly sad loss, far far far before time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Deano, 47 is way too young..Had the pleasure of seeing his entire playing career, he was a very solid player who was starved for opportunities as we had a very strong midfield, he lacked a touch of pace but had a good footy brain, there was an epic game at windy Hill one day against the Eagles where they were smacking us, we had 4 injured players before half time, in the days where there were only 2 on the bench..Longy was in the forward pocket with broken ribs, Bails played the game of his life that day, was dominating out of the centre square and almost got us over the line in what was a thrilling match. For those that were there I'm sure you would agree it was one of the few times I felt satisfied after a loss, they played their guts out and almost pulled off a miracle win..He was also a huge part in 2000 where he was one of the first developement coaches..Gone but not forgotten, Thanks for the memories Deano, R.I.P.

Last edited:
RIP Deano, 47 is way too young..Had the pleasure of seeing his entire playing career, he was a very solid player who was starved for opportunities as we had a very strong midfield, he lacked a touch of pace but had a good footy brain, there was an epic game at windy Hill one day against the Eagles where they were smacking us, we had 4 injured players before half time, in the days where there were only 2 on the bench..Longy was in the forward pocket with a torn hammy, Bails played the game of his life that day, was dominating out of the centre square and almost got us over the line in what was a thrilling match. For those that were there I'm sure you would agree it was one of the few times I felt satisfied after a loss, they played their guts out and almost pulled off a miracle win..He was also a huge part in 2000 where he was one of the first developement coaches..Gone but not forgotten, Thanks for the memories Deano, R.I.P.

Remember it well. Was in 91' & both sides were undefeated (roughly rd 6) & they jumped us from the start. From memory our fwd line was a bunch of crocks by the 2nd half with injuries & somehow with a strong windy hill crowd behind us nearly willed ourselves across the line with prob 15 fit men.

Remember it well. Was in 91' & both sides were undefeated (roughly rd 6) & they jumped us from the start. From memory our fwd line was a bunch of crocks by the 2nd half with injuries & somehow with a strong windy hill crowd behind us nearly willed ourselves across the line with prob 15 fit men.
You've got it, the crowd was electric that day..Bails was on FIRE, we got so close to an incredible win, happy to remember it as one of the most incredible losses I've ever witnessed.

Absolutely shocking, I had no idea he even had cancer, saw the headline the other day.
Very sad, RIP Dean.
Condolences to the family :(

Thanks for posting the vid. Great memories flooding back there...remember that booming Harvs goal from 50 in the last & thought we were gonna pinch it, but wasn't to be. Think from memory he also Kung Fu'd his best mate Boris in the head which was why he was off crook?? But gee wiz as you say, couldn't complain abt the effort, think from memory though we pretty much started to plateau after our 1st loss that day & just snuck into finals where the Dees and Allen Jacko show took care of an aging Dons outfit in the EF!

Not a 'gifted' player, but made the most of the talent he had and left everything on the field.

Was a pioneer of what we now know as 'Development Coaches/Teams'.

Was a great leader of young men, a fine educator and a caring individual who truly loved this great game of ours.

May we always remember that the ties that unite us are stronger than those that would see us divided.

The football world unites to say R.I.P Dean Bailey.

Thanks for posting the vid. Great memories flooding back there...remember that booming Harvs goal from 50 in the last & thought we were gonna pinch it, but wasn't to be. Think from memory he also Kung Fu'd his best mate Boris in the head which was why he was off crook?? But gee wiz as you say, couldn't complain abt the effort, think from memory though we pretty much started to plateau after our 1st loss that day & just snuck into finals where the Dees and Allen Jacko show took care of an aging Dons outfit in the EF!

not to clog this thread with other things but i think this game could be remembered for somervilles big speckie and sheedy tieing down the windsock also? epic game.

its funny that ofter the players with 'limited skill' who worked their tales off to make it often come through to be the best coaches and footy people. you only have to look around to see the noises coming out of the clubs that Bailey came though to see the esteem in which he was held in, seemed to be a geniune top person.

rip mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back