Club History Your memories of Swans legends

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone putting Lockett in a Top 5 or Top 10 All time Swans list are glossing over a lot of history. Great player in AFL history yes. Great player when he was with us yes, but he didn't spend enough time at the club to put together a case for Top 10 let alone Top 5.

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think we do any favours to a great champion like Adam Goodes to mollycoddle him, as the club seems to be doing.

My best 5 list was chronological, I don't place any of them above the others. Yes Paul Kelly desperately unlucky, but so were Greg Williams and Gerard Healy.

Plugger played six seasons for us, and broke Gordon Coventry's career goals record at the SCG. He gave his heart and soul to the club, and well and truly qualifies in my opinion.

Whilst I personally wouldn't have Lockett in our top 5, I think he still has a very strong case to be considered.

He kicked over 100 goals for us in three different seasons.
He had an after the siren kick that got us into a grand final.
He caused masses of fans to start going to the scg and start supporting the Swans, most of whom are still fans today (I know it was watching Locket that got me really obsessed with the Swans when I was incredibly young.
Whilst he may not of been the heart and soul of the club that Kelly was, he was none the less seen as an image of our club and a bit of a barometer to how we played on the field.

I will probably be blasted for this but I consider Lockett one of the all time greats of the Swans maybe not top 5 but definitely top 10, if it wasn't for him the Swans wouldn't be where they are today.

Ozmale62

Senior List
Feb 10, 2013
Cranbourne West
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think we do any favours to a great champion like Adam Goodes to mollycoddle him, as the club seems to be doing.

My best 5 list was chronological, I don't place any of them above the others. Yes Paul Kelly desperately unlucky, but so were Greg Williams and Gerard Healy.

Plugger played six seasons for us, and broke Gordon Coventry's career goals record at the SCG. He gave his heart and soul to the club, and well and truly qualifies in my opinion.

Grongey,

In terms of outright Champions, I would place No.1 to Skilton, followed by Paul Kelly, Bob Pratt, Laurie Nash for the top 4.

As for number 5, I would suggest any one of either Vic Belcher, Roy Cazaly, Ron Clegg, Fred Goldsmith, Adam Goodes, Tony Lockett or Mark Tandy.

Each and every one of those players named, had a major influence on both the team & team success in their day. Up until 2012, Vic Belcher was the only dual premiership player that the Swans had. Cazaly was a legend of the game along with Pratt & Nash. Clegg was regarded as the most pivotal & brilliant key position player in the Swans history for his ability to play forward or back. Goldsmith is the only Full Back in the history of the game to win a Brownlow. Goodes is the one of a select number of dual position Brownlow medallist's as a Ruckman in 2003 & a Ruck Rover in 2006. Lockett was simply irresistible at both the Saints & the Swans. Tandy was regarded as the best Rover of his time & recognised as the man who coined Up There Cazaly.

Seems like we have a very rich history & it is extremely difficult to judge for anyone.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Whilst I personally wouldn't have Lockett in our top 5, I think he still has a very strong case to be considered.

He kicked over 100 goals for us in three different seasons.
He had an after the siren kick that got us into a grand final.
He caused masses of fans to start going to the scg and start supporting the Swans, most of whom are still fans today (I know it was watching Locket that got me really obsessed with the Swans when I was incredibly young.
Whilst he may not of been the heart and soul of the club that Kelly was, he was none the less seen as an image of our club and a bit of a barometer to how we played on the field.

I will probably be blasted for this but I consider Lockett one of the all time greats of the Swans maybe not top 5 but definitely top 10, if it wasn't for him the Swans wouldn't be where they are today.

Now bookmark this post Bonz, replacing the name Plugger with Buddy & we'll revisit it in 10 years time.

It would be an interesting excercise! :)

Count Dooku

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
funny how your writing of a champion, do you know this for a fact?
and
I think a few are rating nash way too high, only played 6 seasons.

Nash was fairly awesome...... test cricketer and VFL champion.

My Grandfather told me about a state game in the 1930's where Nash kicked 18 goals against South Australia. After the game one of the players came up to him and said "great game Laurie, you kicked 18 goals!" Nash evidently replied "yes and I would have kicked 28 if you pricks kicked it to me!"

Count Dooku

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
funny how your writing of a champion, do you know this for a fact?
and
I think a few are rating nash way too high, only played 6 seasons.

A little tiff call WW2 ended his career prematurely. He did play again in 1945 and coached in 1954.

Jack Dyer regarded him as the best player to ever have played the game. Very high praise from a very credible source. Such pity footballers dont carry the same timeless legacy as cricketers. I guess that will change over time when the Hall of fame, Legends concepts develop further.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As for number 5, I would suggest any one of either Vic Belcher, Roy Cazaly, Ron Clegg, Fred Goldsmith, Adam Goodes, Tony Lockett or Mark Tandy.

How good was Cazaly though? I mean he became famous because of the song and the expression "Up there Cazaly" came about because he was such a good high marker but Jeremy Howe is also brilliant at the high mark and while I consider Howe a good player he definitely isn't an all time great.

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
I was following the board a bit today on my phone and was thinking all this discussion belonged in the South/Sydney history thread and was gonna suggest so when I logged on tonight, not sure why another separate thread was needed? Its all relevant to our history.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought continuity might be an issue as bit hard to follow two separate conversations in the one thread so kept this one separate. If you click on the club history tag in blue next to the thread title it will show you only the threads that are relevant to discussing our history.

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought continuity might be an issue as bit hard to follow two separate conversations in the one thread so kept this one separate. If you click on the club history tag in blue next to the thread title it will show you only the threads that are relevant to discussing our history.

I actually thought many different conversations however the same topic 'our history' in the same thread would encourage posters to join in on any topic its obviously relevant and I for one have enjoyed every post from Ozmale62, sorry I should have suggested via pm please delete my thoughts

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
No need to apologise as the suggestion wasn't a bad one. We'll see how it goes, we may consider merging it into one big thread later on to encourage more posters to join in the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
No need to apologise as the suggestion wasn't a bad one. We'll see how it goes, we may consider merging it into one big thread later on to encourage more posters to join in the discussion.
same with the trivia one, its all the same and Ive thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I disagree on both counts. I don't think Goodes is finished and Kels is ahead of Lockett in my book. Kelly led the team out of the dark ages and was instrumental in establishing the culture of the club we have today. Lockett was a prodigious talent but was not the heart and soul of the team that Kelly was. Kelly's talent was in what he demanded of himself and inspired in others. The highlights reel of his 200th game (shown at the SCG) left the audience in awe. His comeback from knee injury was in his typical brave style. He ran at a pack and pulled down a speccy, landing heavily. He played through seasons with broken ribs. He never gave up and the team would do anything for him. A true champion is more than a sweet boot and big hands. Kelly was an inspiration, a born leader of men.

He used to run himself into the ground so hard that he required drips after some games, well that's how the story goes. Skilton , Kelly and goodes are the 3 greatest swans of all time

JBSwan

Debutant
Dec 8, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Lockett.. (got me hooked on Afl/Swans... There's only one Tony Lockett )
2. Goodes (most talented player I've seen)
3. P Kelly ( captain courageous, won't find better)

No disrespect to other past Champions, but due to my age my memory only goes back so far..

Anyone putting Lockett in a Top 5 or Top 10 All time Swans list are glossing over a lot of history. Great player in AFL history yes. Great player when he was with us yes, but he didn't spend enough time at the club to put together a case for Top 10 let alone Top 5.

so team of the century selectors are clueless?

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
He's ahead of Lockett, Lockett was a better player Goodes is a better Swan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodes is a better Swan ? What makes a better Swan ???? Lockett is on another Planet compared to the majority of AFL players who have laced up a boot including Goodes.
Goodes longevity and contribution to the cause is unquestioned but anyone who down plays Lockett's contribution in comparison even though it was over a much shorter period of time should seek counselling.

Back