Beauty & Style Wrist Watch lovers

Remove this Banner Ad

You're all terrible influences :p

Vonn, you could look at a self winding watch case if you're concerned at all. I'm not entirely sure of how they work specifically, but as I understand it they move your watch around on their own so it is always wound when you want to wear it?

AS Juddism mentioned, have a look at JLC and especially the reverso range. Such a classic timepiece and looks much better on females than any Rolex would IMO

Rolex make fantastic watches but you pay a lot for the brand. If you aren't especially tied to a particular design it's worth shopping around.

Rolex make one or two nice looking pieces but their movements are worth about $300...They do retain a decent resale value on the second hand market, but I have never owned one, nor do I plan on owning one.

The brand you mentioned is gorgeous - how scratch resistant is the face? It looks as though they only make leather bands, which is a real bummer.

hardened mineral crystal which makes it highly scratch resistant. Look, for the money you'd pay for that Rolex, you can get yourself something more sophisticated. The reason I mention JLC is the fact that they do their own testing and don't submit to COSC like most other Swiss watch manufacturers.

Rolexes are for people that know names but don’t know watches.

Tell you one to look at that is extremely well crafted and probably one the most accurate in the world, Grand Seiko! and Seiko Prospex. I have a MM300 Prospex and it is the most accurate watch I've ever owned...and the finish is better than most of my Swiss watches, and it's movement puts Rolex to shame.

4u4ugu2e.jpg

You're all terrible influences :p

Vonn, you could look at a self winding watch case if you're concerned at all. I'm not entirely sure of how they work specifically, but as I understand it they move your watch around on their own so it is always wound when you want to wear it?

I haven't heard of many brands who do this self-winding thing - what's an example?
Honestly, I have no objection stopping the battery and then manually adjusting the time and date - I just don't think Rolex gives you that luxury of being able to manually adjust it without servicing intervention which is inconvenient but not a huge issue.

AS Juddism mentioned, have a look at JLC and especially the reverso range. Such a classic timepiece and looks much better on females than any Rolex would IMO

A look at their website tells me JLC has all-leather bands - is that correct? I'm not really a fan of the leather band tbh, and also the face is a bit too complex for my liking, reminds me of the leather-band Rotary ones. I love the look of Rolex unfortunately, so I'm pretty sold on it :p

A look at their website tells me JLC has all-leather bands - is that correct? I'm not really a fan of the leather band tbh, and also the face is a bit too complex for my liking, reminds me of the leather-band Rotary ones. I love the look of Rolex unfortunately, so I'm pretty sold on it :p

and that's your choice, but what a JLC goes through to get to you is far more significant than a Rolex, so the watch is better value for money.

most watches these days are self winding/automatic. where would you like me to start, Patek Philippe, Omega, Breitling, Rolex, AP, Panerai, Hublot...list is endless and that is what Swiss watches are synonymous for.

Rolex make one or two nice looking pieces but their movements are worth about $300...They do retain a decent resale value on the second hand market, but I have never owned one, nor do I plan on owning one.

hardened mineral crystal which makes it highly scratch resistant. Look, for the money you'd pay for that Rolex, you can get yourself something more sophisticated. The reason I mention JLC is the fact that they do their own testing and don't submit to COSC like most other Swiss watch manufacturers.

Rolexes are for people that know names but don’t know watches.

Tell you one to look at that is extremely well crafted and probably one the most accurate in the world, Grand Seiko! and Seiko Prospex. I have a MM300 Prospex and it is the most accurate watch I've ever owned...and the finish is better than most of my Swiss watches, and it's movement puts Rolex to shame.

Fair enough. I will admit I'm not as much a watch fanatic as you are by the sounds of it, and I would be lying if I said I'm not drawn to Rolex for the fact it's a status symbol. To be perfectly fair to the price tag and Rolex, I don't really think any luxury item of any brand justifies their pricetag or is realistically 'value for money' - at the end of the day it's what the person perceives as being worth it. I'm still not 100% committed to purchasing it, but as you have touched on - I know nothing about watches so I am fine with it. :)
What I was more concerned about was a cheaper every day... preferably not over 1k and not leather. Any suggestions?

I haven't heard of many brands who do this self-winding thing - what's an example?
Honestly, I have no objection stopping the battery and then manually adjusting the time and date - I just don't think Rolex gives you that luxury of being able to manually adjust it without servicing intervention which is inconvenient but not a huge issue.

Chronograph is the self winding mechanism and many have a glass back as a feature (not sure why as you can't see it when you're wearing it)

An example would be

upload_2014-3-31_19-25-24.jpeg

no, a chronograph is the stopwatch function of the watch.

vonn, when your buying watches that are over $2k mark they are generally mechanical watches that are either self winding(automatic) or manual wound watches. The difference between the two is that a self winding will keep on running until your not wearing it for 40+ hours or so depending on the power reserve. The manual wound one would stop running after a period before you would have to wind the watch even if your wearing it and moving it around.

Sorry, may have confused everyone. Meant a watch winder, it's like a watch case that keeps your watch wound by moving it around while you're not wearing it.

e.g.

http://gearpatrol.com/2013/03/08/wound-up-five-best-watch-winders/

What I was more concerned about was a cheaper every day... preferably not over 1k and not leather. Any suggestions?

Would you consider a Seiko? They make decent quality automatics and have a large ladies range. Also, if you're keen on getting a larger watch you could look at a men's watch from the '5' series, as they're on the smaller side for a men's watch but bigger than your average ladies watch. There are seemingly endless colour options and several different case designs, but they all use the same reliable movement. You can get them with a steel bracelet. You can pick them up online for under $150. I think I paid $90 for mine about 3 years ago. They'll last a long time too, my girlfriend's old man has one from the early 80s and it's still ticking.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new Omega Seamaster 300, has just been announced. Better start saving.

seamaster300_zpsea95c530.png

old is new...this is a remake of the very first Seamaster albeit with a different movement.

Rolex-comex.jpg

if I ever come across one of these I'll be bleeding my bank account, selling my car, and possibly a few other watches too.

Rolex made a few specifically for Comex which is a deep sea company from France...they're extremely rare and have a hefty price tag.

Last edited:
Am a bit dirty about missing out on this, love the Autodromo Prototipo, but it doesn't have a running second hand, unless you buy the Vic Elford Limited Edition. Unfortunately for me, they only made 224 of the Elfords, and they are all sold out AFAIK.

AUTODROMO_PROTOTIPO_ALL_DIALS1.jpg

Now, a sad moon is on the rise :(

Just not sure if I would be able to live without the second hand, thinking for the ~$800 I might end up better off looking for a used Tag Autavia or a Hamilton Pan Europ, similar styles and fully mechanical (the Prototipo is mecha-quartz, quartz time but with a mechanical chronometer), just a few hundred $$ more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back