Super Rugby Official Melbourne Rebels thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Benji Marshall would be included as a foreign player. The Rebels could pay him 1m+ per year and it would go down as 148k~ in the cap.

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know that exemption existed. Well the Waratahs could afford him then too and Jason Allen has made it clear they want him. He'd probably be worth it for the publicity. Don't know where he'd play but the tahs would be pretty much obliged to start him, at least to begin the season. Maybe at fullback with Beale at 10 and Folau on the wing. Foley would be undeservedly benched. I bet he won't be too happy about his decision to backflip on the Rebels if the tahs sign both Beale and Benji.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This is a real problem for rugby not just in Australia, but NZ and South Africa (among others) also.

There is so much money in France now they're going to get all the top players in their primes, not just the older guys. The private clubs model will ultimately beat the union run model simply because money talks.

I am surprised Pyle is leaving now though. I think he was a huge chance of making the world cup team and has been in great form.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
This is a real problem for rugby not just in Australia, but NZ and South Africa (among others) also.

There is so much money in France now they're going to get all the top players in their primes, not just the older guys. The private clubs model will ultimately beat the union run model simply because money talks.

I am surprised Pyle is leaving now though. I think he was a huge chance of making the world cup team and has been in great form.

Playing test football (particularly the lures of Bledisloe, Rugby Championship and World Cup) will always keep many of the top guys around. Some of the fringe guys who just cannot get a go in the top side - Hugh Pyle is a perfect example of one of these - could be lost for some time, but I can't imagine that he will remain in Europe and not feel the compulsion to return home and prove that he is capable of test football.

And I think he will not be alone in that sense. O'Connor will be back to do just that and repair his tattered reputation. McMeniman returned in order to play test football and would have far more consistently too if he wasn't cursed by a Japanese witch.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Playing test football (particularly the lures of Bledisloe, Rugby Championship and World Cup) will always keep many of the top guys around. Some of the fringe guys who just cannot get a go in the top side - Hugh Pyle is a perfect example of one of these - could be lost for some time, but I can't imagine that he will remain in Europe and not feel the compulsion to return home and prove that he is capable of test football.

And I think he will not be alone in that sense. O'Connor will be back to do just that and repair his tattered reputation. McMeniman returned in order to play test football and would have far more consistently too if he wasn't cursed by a Japanese witch.

At the moment yes, because the guys that get ARU top ups can earn almost as much money in oz. But it's a big problem for our depth that the next guys are leaving for France in their prime.

And what happens when the money in France is worth double the money the ARU can offer even the top guys? If you were a starting Wallaby on about 500k per year and got offered 1 million to play in France would you stay? There's a tipping point and the way things are going it's going to be reached pretty soon. Probably after the 2015 world cup. There's more and more money in French rugby and less in Australia.

The current super rugby structure just doesn't generate enough revenue to compete.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
A positive for the future of the Rebels:

Victoria is in the final for both the u-15's and u-17's junior gold cup this weekend. This is the first year of these tournaments designed to provide a better pathway for elite juniors. To put it into perspective, there are 24 competing teams in each age group from regions throughout the country...12 of the teams come from QLD, 10 from NSW, 1 from VIC, 1 from ACT, 1 from WA and 1 from SA. Still...I don't think they would have been this strong before the Rebels started. Both Victorian teams are undefeated with mostly convincing wins, so perhaps in future there should be at least a couple. Hopefully it won't be long until the Rebels have a strong contingent of locally developed players.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
The Top 14 just had their TV Rights deal with Canal+ renewed for 560million euros which when you add the Tax rate of 10% for "entertainers" that is given to sportsmen in France is going to see more players from the likes of Australia, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy pour into the Top 14 over the next few years.

The ARU is cutting player wages and the Top 14 basically received a blank cheque to recruit the best players they can. Money will win out soon enough as we have already seen

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The Top 14 just had their TV Rights deal with Canal+ renewed for 560million euros which when you add the Tax rate of 10% for "entertainers" that is given to sportsmen in France is going to see more players from the likes of Australia, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy pour into the Top 14 over the next few years.

The ARU is cutting player wages and the Top 14 basically received a blank cheque to recruit the best players they can. Money will win out soon enough as we have already seen

Well so long as they become a non Australian resident for tax purposes (not always easy apparently).

It's not 560 million euros by the way, it's 355...so an average of 71 million per year. People might note this is less than the AFL and NRL have negotiated in Australia, but the difference is that this money is not used to fund the sport of rugby in France as a whole. It's negotiated by and for the clubs. It also doesn't include the rights for the European Cup tournament. And on top of that the French rugby clubs receive a lot more money from private investment, sponsorship and local government grants than most AFL and NRL teams do in Australia. The top clubs have huge wage bills that are only increasing. Many clubs are living beyond their means, but the people losing the money are extremely wealthy benefactors who obviously don't care!

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Well so long as they become a non Australian resident for tax purposes (not always easy apparently).

Then the 75% tax rate applies. Not easy but get around but the clubs find a way otherwise the players don't come and they do come.

It's not 560 million euros by the way, it's 355...so an average of 71 million per year.

My mistake I quoted Australian Dollars (and even got that wrong by 29 million). As for the yearly breakdown its interesting that this is considered the better deal when the RFU get 159 million pounds per season from BT Sports for their Premiership TV Rights and the proposed brakeaway European Cup competition (so in reality the deal is worth as much until BT gain the European Rights which might stay with Sky or be shared.

People might note this is less than the AFL and NRL have negotiated in Australia, but the difference is that this money is not used to fund the sport of rugby in France as a whole. It's negotiated by and for the clubs. It also doesn't include the rights for the European Cup tournament. And on top of that the French rugby clubs receive a lot more money from private investment, sponsorship and local government grants than most AFL and NRL teams do in Australia.

Its amazing in France its massive as a code and this deal doesn't include French National Team games, European matches, exhibition matches and even the Second Division.

The top clubs have huge wage bills that are only increasing. Many clubs are living beyond their means, but the people losing the money are extremely wealthy benefactors who obviously don't care!

Indeed look at Toulon who play in a small stadium and basically live off moving the odd game to a netual venue at larger venue to get a large crowd in parts of France that don't have the same level of interest as the heartlands. But at the end of the day they live via the funding of their owner. Same goes for both Paris based clubs, two to three games a year at the Stade de France and funding from their owner.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Then the 75% tax rate applies. Not easy but get around but the clubs find a way otherwise the players don't come and they do come.

I'm sure they would only pay the 10% in France, but short term players might end up paying extra tax to the Australian government if the ATO determines them as an Australian resident for tax purposes.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm sure they would only pay the 10% in France, but short term players might end up paying extra tax to the Australian government if the ATO determines them as an Australian resident for tax purposes.

Short term players yes, but not the ones that base themselves in France during the length of the contract if say its 3 years.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now I do not follow the Super Rugby that much as I don't have Foxtel and none of my mates are in to rugby. But I am very impressed with how we have gone this season I thought we would struggle a bit losing Beale and O'Connor. I played the game for 5 years when i was a junior and are very happy we have a competitive team in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rebels new signing Mike Harris is going to be great for the club and if we also get Welshmen James Hook, can only improve our already young side!!

Back