Skills 1%ers (lets list as many as we can)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hungryhaydo

Debutant
Apr 8, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Things that someone doesn't have to be skillful to do but can help impact a game...
Post all you can think of, no matter how obvious u think it might be...

1. Jumping around like an idiot on the mark
2. Standing in front of ur opposition player to block their view of the play (love doing this against fat players lol)

Fyfe4Life

Debutant
Apr 7, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
having a beer in the crowd behind the goals and flashing your utensil when your best mate is trying to score a goal after the siren to win a semi final.
Winner.

Semi-related, in one of my teams games last year bloke had a kick from about 50 after the siren to win it for the opposition. One of our team mates was reverse sledging him "Don't worry mate, your going to slot it" which seemed to put him off, lol.

Something obvious but many players get caught out, play in front of your man when against the wind.

Fyfe4Life

Debutant
Apr 7, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Things that someone doesn't have to be skillful to do but can help impact a game...
Post all you can think of, no matter how obvious u think it might be...

1. Jumping around like an idiot on the mark
2. Standing in front of ur opposition player to block their view of the play (love doing this against fat players lol)

On point number 1 I always do this. Backfired a little once this year as I jumped and got smacked directly in the face - it did force the ball out of bounds though.

Squirt a water bottle in your oppositions face.

Some umpire actually see this as a free kick to them for some reason, same with pretending to throw grass as they're approaching for a set shot or even calling play on to try to get them to play on.

When there's a stretcher, teams often huddle up. Perhaps try to get into their huddle to disrupt what they're thinking. Also in reserve grade when there's no time off, when ahead walk to retrieve a ball before a behind kick in and if there's no footy behind the goals to use kick the pill as far as you can if you kick a goal. One that many players on the mark also fall for is mistaking the umpires call to "Move it On" as "Play On" so waiting that split second before the call can sometimes draw you easy yardage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
When you're opposing player is having a drink of water, run off and catch him unaware. Or, even better, offer him a drink and then do it.
Someone (forget who) said he was playing on Leigh Matthews - Matthews looked down at his boot as if it was untied - his opponent did - when his opponent looked back up, Matthews was 10 metres away, running full pace.

I cant recall seeing the 'fake' injury used in AFL (other than the bloke with the lousy kick saying 'I'm injured - let the full-forward take the shot for goal'.) In the NRL, an old trick is to get crunched in a tackle and lie flat on the ground as if hurt while the play goes on around you. Opposition forget about you - jump up - scor try. (It's usually only applied when about 5 yards from the tryline). Not sure where you could apply that in AFL - I suppose an equivalent is the 'Loose man off the interchange' - Dogs did that well against the Tigers a few times on the weekend.

These days the "fake injury" in the NRL is used so that a player stays down long enough for TV to show a replay to get a player placed on report so they get a free interchange. A player replaced as a result of an incident placed on report doesn't count towards the quota of 10 interchanges in a match.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
I'll attempt to be serious..

Smothering. In junior footy ive noticed the quicker kids often get close enough to a player to smother the ball, but never do. They jump in the air, turning side on in the process with arms raised in a weak attempt to smother the ball.

Looking at instructional videos of AFL skills online, shows how a correct smother should be made. Seeing that, it makes me realise that with some practice, in a very short time players with some courage, speed and ability could make smothering an art form. At least a junior level. The kids that do master it, will have a very handy 1%er in their resumé .

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kill your opponent
comic.php

Footystrike

Draftee
Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Shepherding
Always chasing oppositon players with the footy and putting pressure on can force a bad disposal
Always nigling your opposite number

Doc Hattori

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2008
Taylors Lakes
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not having a smoke at half time
Taping your shoulder even if its not in injured
Letting the captain run through the banner first
Saying you're OK about being dropped to the 2's
Wearing your lucky jocks
Handing the ball back to the boundary umpire
Buying your Saturday night slab at the club
Knowing the President's name

MitchLloyd

Debutant
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Waste time in close games
I did this once when my team was up by 5 points with like 2 mins left and when there was a ball up I got the ball and started to pretend to slip over and give bad passes to the umpire and also dropping the ball. Ended up wasting about 15 seconds and winning the game for us because they got it to their end and the siren went just before they were about to go for goal.:p

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Block your opponents run by playing in front of them and hold your arms out so they can't get around. If you have good hand eye coordination, you can smack your man in the nose and it looks unintentional.

Telling those shooting at goal where to aim.
Telling someone to pick up the loose ruckman a kick behind the play.
Being front and square when a pack forms.
Having an opposite hand and foot to use for disposal.
Being able to tap/ruck with both hands.
Stand with your opponent for the mark to be set then as you walk back slowly walk inwards incline to set up a better angle

Back