One year too many.

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching the first few rounds of the season and throughout the history of the game we see so many great players go around for another season when they should not of and it is sad.

The biggest names this season are Browny for the Lions and Jake King. Browny has been an out and out champion of the game but gee he looked lost last week and it is not good to see the public decline of great players out there. Jake King also cannot get near the pill and the game seems past these players right now.

Carlton also had this with Mick Martin when we recruited him and is it better for players to admit to themselves they are declining at a rapid rate and no longer serviceable or does pride kick in preventing such decisions being made which then takes up a spot on a list and a chance to elevate a kid.

It is such a fine line and like walking on a sword for all involved especially the supporters as we see champions out there living on past glory days when they should not be.

Any other players come to mind???

King has played two games coming off 8 off season surgeries. I'd be giving him more than that to make the call on whether or not he's finished.

He played well against Carlton anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the first few rounds of the season and throughout the history of the game we see so many great players go around for another season when they should not of and it is sad.

The biggest names this season are Browny for the Lions and Jake King. Browny has been an out and out champion of the game but gee he looked lost last week and it is not good to see the public decline of great players out there. Jake King also cannot get near the pill and the game seems past these players right now.

Carlton also had this with Mick Martin when we recruited him and is it better for players to admit to themselves they are declining at a rapid rate and no longer serviceable or does pride kick in preventing such decisions being made which then takes up a spot on a list and a chance to elevate a kid.

It is such a fine line and like walking on a sword for all involved especially the supporters as we see champions out there living on past glory days when they should not be.

Any other players come to mind???
I disagree about Brown. Sure he was completely lost on the weekend. But he still has merit on our list, for leadership and ability. However next year is a completely different story...he should defiantly call it quits at the end of the year.

Of all the Geelong champions to retire in recent times, you could argue that Ling and Ottens (perhaps Corey) were the only ones who got it absolutely spot on. Then again, it's such a fine line. Scarlett and Harley were AA in their second last years, but looked utterly cooked 12 months later. Mooney and (especially) Milburn weren't too far off finishing their careers with another grand final appearance and possibly a fourth and third premiership, respectively. Pods is the latest to threaten, though he was one of the Crows who could hold his head high after the debacle on Saturday. Presumably he'll see time in the twos though, when Walker and Lynch are back. I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Hunt finish his career in the scoobies for GWS either (though he did spend a bit of time in the VFL over the years with Geelong).

I'd say that 5% of players who make it on to an AFL list are good enough to have some say on when they hang them up (that may even be a bit generous) and on the surface, it's surprising that so many ultimately botch the chance to 'go out on their terms'. But it's an ego thing and it's probably why they were so good at what they did for so long. One other thing that should be noted is the Mick Martyn example, that games played milestones are wildly overrated in the grand scheme of things. People don't really care, at the end of the day. You'll be much more highly regarded if you are a one-club champion for 280-odd games, than if you stagger over the line and make it to 300 games with a second club.

The other example I'd use would be getting back to Joel Corey. In 2013, he was nowhere near the player he was in the mid-late 00s, but he was still a pretty useful midfielder and was never in danger of being dropped. Is that a year too long? I'm not sure.

King has played two games coming off 8 off season surgeries. I'd be giving him more than that to make the call on whether or not he's finished.

He played well against Carlton anyway.

I'd say he's finished. We would be much better off putting games into Biscuit (Arnot) or Madonna (McDonough).

Adam Goodes. When you're 33 and going to go into a season recovering from a knee injury maybe it's time to call it.

The last couple of years have been a bit sad to see with Goodes. Remember when he was absolutely blitzing through the 300 game barrier at 31 and having played 20+ games every year of his career (and 22+ in 11/13)? To me, he was looking like a genuine chance, not just to get to 400 games, but to break Tuck's record.

Seems a long time ago now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back