Autopsy 3 things you learnt v freo

Remove this Banner Ad

1) People overreact on this board. 1 win and all the players who weren't good enough for the past 4 games are now great. And if we lose next week all the players who were great now suck.

2) "That's as good as it gets" has taken over from the various Brian-Taylor-isms as the worst phrase in football commentary

3) Hitouts appear to be an overvalued metric, as we got smashed in them against Fremantle but have previously lost games where we have dominated that stat

Add "Crazy good", "Chaos Ball" and the simple but annoying "Amazing!" to this and you've got my vote.

One of the downsides to being a Swans supporter is that most of our games are on FOX so inevitably called by Dwayne, and the ones that aren't are usually Saturday night on Seven so we have to suffer through 'BT' and 'Darce'. There's no escape.

Have watched the last few games and will give you my 2 bob.

Asides from the effort, or lack thereof, we have been playing with a game plan that has been purpose made for a deep forward target with running support providing options 30m plus out. Simply put, we miss Tippett/Goodes/Reid and will play infinitely better once we have one of these guys in. Frees up our third tall forward.

Derickx. Love the effort but no. Just no. He is not up to afl standard. On this note, Pyke is a 40-60 ruckman and we need a first string ruck. Either of Nai or Nanna would fit the bill. Are they ready? Probably not but could try in the next few with the 'lesser' ruck division in the next few weeks.

Lloyd fits in very well. Doesn't back out of the hard stuff. If Jack does need a rest don't mind a Lloyd/ROK/Robinson filling the breach

1. Apparently Sydney hadn't won a game at the SCG this season!! luckily Dwayne pointed out 10 times during the call, I mean given the fact we'd only played 1 game at the SCG all season for 1 loss, and only had 1 win in total, we should've already known this but apparently not. Thank you Dwayne for informing us all, and then doing it again 5 minutes later and again 5 minutes after that, it's hard to remember those sorts of things when you only hear them once.

2. One negative is we still leaked a few too many easy goals, and goals in very quick succession. Those 2 goals Fremantle kicked in the last minute of the 3rd term are an all to familiar tale, need to stop giving the opposition a sniff with late lapses when we have the game in our almost in our keeping. Nit picking though as it was one of the best performances for quite some time.

3. Listening to Dwayne Russell calling football games for eternity, would be considered a very effective form of torture in hell.

If I had a dollar for every time Dwayne Russell mentioned, during the game, how "Freo came back from 27 points down last year to draw" I would be a very, very rich man.

Oh boy, that reminds me of how often he kept saying it was a "moral victory" for them. What does that even mean?? It's not like we cheated to get the draw or something......

Add "Crazy good", "Chaos Ball" and the simple but annoying "Amazing!" to this and you've got my vote.

One of the downsides to being a Swans supporter is that most of our games are on FOX so inevitably called by Dwayne, and the ones that aren't are usually Saturday night on Seven so we have to suffer through 'BT' and 'Darce'. There's no escape.

FLYINV,

Would rather Dwayne and those 'isms' than Bruce & his 'special' or Dennis & his jokes... or even worse Brain Taylor & his unbelievably poor commentating calling Nick Smith as Craig Bird...

Or that every kick for goal is HUGE in the context of this game/season etc etc

1. Game plan is fine, as long as it is implemented with the requisite intensity.

2. Rucks are overrated. Sandilands is an absolute brute of a man, but against a midfield that is switched on and hunting the ball, he is just another tall tree in the forest. It was a shame to lose Mummy but plenty of teams play some great footy without a champion ruckman - I am thinking of Collingwood but am pretty sure that someone will come in and shoot me down on that one.

3. McGlynn - how much do I hope that gun gets a chance to play in a grannie. His heart is bigger than that of Pharlap.

1. Defence. Super Ted is back. Rampe played the best game of his career so far. Smith charged in like the cavalry several times with superbly timed fists.

2. McGlynn is owed a premiership. His effort has been beyond question in these first five games, when some premiership players have gone AWOL.

3. If you're taking friends from overseas to a game, and you don't want to spend the whole time answering questions of the "Why do they stop and take a kick when they catch the ball?" variety, sit right up high in the nosebleed seats.

(How high? From where we were in the Victor Trumper, Freo's run-on banner appeared to read:

WE WEAR PURPLE
WE WEAR WHITE
WE ARE FRED
LET'S SHOW SOME FIGHT)

The whole game makes perfect sense with such a bird's eye view, specially if you're right behind the goals. You can see the positional play taking place downfield and you can see the ball at all times, because it glows against the backdrop of the green grass rather than the jumble of the crowd or hidden behind players' bodies... I'd always had this vague notion that our game is totally baffling to a newcomer, but my o/s friends picked it up very quickly, and hardly had to ask any questions. Hell, even I understood it a little better.

The whole game makes perfect sense with such a bird's eye view, specially if you're right behind the goals. You can see the positional play taking place downfield and you can see the ball at all times, because it glows against the backdrop of the green grass rather than the jumble of the crowd or hidden behind players' bodies... I'd always had this vague notion that our game is totally baffling to a newcomer, but my o/s friends picked it up very quickly, and hardly had to ask any questions. Hell, even I understood it a little better.

Yeah the new red zone seats up the top of the Noble are great for this. Great elevation but not set too far back from the action. Really easy to see play unfolding, and the play just looks so much more structured. I've always been of the opinion that the TV directors should use the wide overhead angle more often. When it's a series of close-ups, the game looks like a complete ******* mess. If you're familiar with the game, you'll be aware what people are trying to do, but if you don't have much of an idea what's going on, people just seem to kick in random directions.

1. Working during a win and then not having internet/foxtel to watch the replay is fairly frustrating.

2. Did watch the highlights, that Jetta goal was 2012-esque - how many times that year did we see quick release stoppage handball (usually from Kennedy) to Jetta on the outside then a long range goal complete in seconds? Good to see that sort of play as it has been missing for a while.

3. 100 Tackles. The only time in recent memory that I can think of that we cracked a 100 tackles was the 2012 GF, showing again that if we are manic enough with tackling and intent that we can win most games. Hopefully we maintain a reasonably high level of intent for the rest of the season, or complacency could be our killer. Great to see the team is still capable of that sort of defensive effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Did enjoy seeing the snipers (Crowley and Ballantyne) smashed. Tackling by Swans was manic - not only swarming but big hits.
2. Don't underestimate this win. Fyfe, big Sandi, Pav, Johnson all did well - but our guys hung tough.
3. Tippett, Franklin with Goodes, McGlynn, KJack, Kennedy, McVeigh, Jetta in support? That will win us a flag.

bTW - Jetta is now fast, reliable, rarely lets us down - he should not be called Jetstar.

1. Laidler - quiet achiever
2. Shaw needs to go, his turnovers are killing us
3. LRT- worst haircut I've ever seen

1. Agree
2. Shaw was solid today. His turnovers were small compared to a lot of good play. Hard to pick on anyone in defence this game.
3. Lloyd.

1. There was never anything wrong with our coach and his game plan. It took the concerted effort of all our players to make it work. Lately the number of fans calling for a new game plan (and rubbishing our coach) was appalling. I hope they're suitably cowed. Why should a coach design a game plan to suit a team who can't be bothered. You set the bar high and you say to your players "This is The Bloods game plan. It relies on a superhuman effort from all but rise to it and it will win the big games".

2. Talking about being wrong...... "My dear Mr Rampe. I take back any criticism of you or your haircut. I will bake from the fruit of the Humble tree a great pie. I will engorge myself upon it and abase myself upon its short pastry crust. You were stunning". Huge kudos (and to the defence in general).

3. Vintage Swans. Effort begets reward.

4. Our guys need to take more self-belief into pack marking situations.

On two or three occasions that I recall, the ball went straight into the hands of a Swans player in a pack, and bounced off his open palms, suggesting the player never seriously though he was going to get to it first.

Did Leo Barry say to himself "aw, s**t, I probably won't get to this first" in the 05 GF?

1. There was never anything wrong with our coach and his game plan. It took the concerted effort of all our players to make it work. Lately the number of fans calling for a new game plan (and rubbishing our coach) was appalling. I hope they're suitably cowed. Why should a coach design a game plan to suit a team who can't be bothered. You set the bar high and you say to your players "This is The Bloods game plan. It relies on a superhuman effort from all but rise to it and it will win the big games".

2. Talking about being wrong...... "My dear Mr Rampe. I take back any criticism of you or your haircut. I will bake from the fruit of the Humble tree a great pie. I will engorge myself upon it and abase myself upon its short pastry crust. You were stunning". Huge kudos (and to the defence in general).

3. Vintage Swans. Effort begets reward.

i couldve posted the same thing. particularly point 2. i was a critic, but when you put in performances like that you can be as individual as you like

1. our best is still good enough to win the flag
2. without a good 2nd ruck, we get smashed in the clearances
3. when all of our forwards are back, we'll be a super team
2. Take a ruck of your choosing, hell take 2. Sandi will beat them with hands tied behind his back. No amount of ruck skills will beat 211cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Take a ruck of your choosing, hell take 2. Sandi will beat them with hands tied behind his back. No amount of ruck skills will beat 211cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We've been smashed in the ruck every week regardless who we've played. At this rate, Warnock would beat us.

1. Freo were below their best, and we'll have to take another step up to beat them come finals (I wish we played them again later in the year as they're a real danger side). But with some of our best still to filter back into the team, I have belief that we can beat them again in finals.
2. K.Jack learned from his battle with Crowley from last year's prelim, was a lot more composed and better prepared to take Crowley on. Wouldn't be surprised if Lyon moved Crowley onto someone else in order to maintain the element of surprise if we meet again in the finals. Was good to see guys like Parker give Crowley a couple of clips throughout the game to support Jack.
3. We did a great job on Fyfe, we were pummelling him at every opportunity. Loved the physicality directed towards him, and went some way to blunting his influence on the match (of course you'll rarely be able to stop him).

Our big tests will come against the Hawks and Cats. We will learn a lot about ourselves in those matches

3. We did a great job on Fyfe, we were pummelling him at every opportunity. Loved the physicality directed towards him, and went some way to blunting his influence on the match (of course you'll rarely be able to stop him).

Great job is overstating it, I think. He nearly took that game over with some of his efforts. I can't blame anyone for allowing it to happen, he's just a ******* beast. That run of efforts on the O'Reilly wing when he beat two of our guys (IIRC Grundy and McGlynn) to win a contested ball and then 10 seconds later take a contested mark to retain possession for Freo was quite outstanding. He, Pavich and Mundy did their best to drag Freo back to level pegging but we just had too many contributors over the course of four quarters for them to overcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back