Classical Music

Remove this Banner Ad

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
To date... This is hands down the greatest for me. It is the reason why I love Liszt as much as I do. If you listen to anything I post - make it this. Bravo Cziffra.

The movie 10 elevated Bolero to wider commerical audience when it came out and I always associate erotica with it

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Can we all take a second to appreciate Rachmaninoff. His flight of the bumblebee is one of the funnest pieces composed. Technical genius too.

Rimsky-Korsakov, actually. It's a brilliant piece, but I think I'd have to ban you if you thought Rachmaninoff wrote it!

Anyone here heard of a Japanese comedy/drama series called Nodame Cantabile? It did a lot for popularising classical music in Japan when it first came out. A lot of it is completely absurd, but the music is good :thumbsu: My favourite piece from the series: Beethoven's Symphony No. 7.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
My favourite piece has always been Dvořák's "Slavonic Dance No. 7" ever since I watched "Allegro Non Troppo" on video 20 years ago, a film considered by some to be the Italian version of "Fantasia".

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I really only like the dark and/or dramatic pieces and Wagner is my favourite.

This just blows my mind:

Came here to ask about Wagner I'll have to give this a listen. Apparently Wagner is meant to appeal to metal heads like myself so interested to give it a look.

And if anyone knows any Paganini post a good vid pls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite piece has always been Dvořák's "Slavonic Dance No. 7" ever since I watched "Allegro Non Troppo" on video 20 years ago, a film considered by some to be the Italian version of "Fantasia".

Geez, that's going back aways now! You might also remember La Planete Sauvage (Fantastic Planet), a Czech/French animation from about 1973 (allegory about Soviet suppression of Czechoslovakia in 1968).
My strongest musical memory from Allegro was Prelude A L'Apres Midi d'un Faune (Debussy), and the accompanying poignant story about the lonely old man looking for love.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I do have a copy of Fantastic Planet on video. Haven't watched it for years. Not being a history buff I did not realise the connection to Soviet suppression.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Like him or not, I think James Rhodes has done well to bring classical music to a more relaxed open crowd.

blaargh

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I really only like the dark and/or dramatic pieces and Wagner is my favourite.

This just blows my mind:

If this really is your thing, I highly encourage you to work your way through the whole ring cycle. The met opera is a great production and I think the entire thing is on YouTube.

Das Rheingold is the opening chapter (opera). Do a little bit of research into the story before you watch it and it all makes sense. It is like watching the best tv series that you can imagine.

Also, if you can be bothered - look into the leitmotifs too. Wagner gave each character or emotion it's own little musical theme. The man was rediculous.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
My favourites are:

Hector Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique
Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt
Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

I guess they all have an element of bombast to them that I really enjoy.

In terms of beautiful music, I can't ever tire of Debussy's "Clair de Lune" ... but be careful if you're trying to find a version on Spotify though. There are SO many bastardisations of it (why mess with something so perfect), as well as pianists that play it with a horrible feel.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Bump. This needs a bump because I've been getting back into classical a lot.

Liszt's etudes are on another LEVEL. His hand range was something insane, like 14 keys or something.

Sidenote: I do often wonder if we will ever see a Mozart, or a Beethoven-esque composer from this generation. All of the famous pianists now predominantly play (albeit very, very good) renditions of the classics. The '21st century' music I had to do for the later AMEB when they required you to do Australian Music (what a wank) was terrible. Postmodern may suit art, but not music IMO. Still, each to their own.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I do often wonder if we will ever see a Mozart, or a Beethoven-esque composer from this generation. All of the famous pianists now predominantly play (albeit very, very good) renditions of the classics.
I have no doubt people have the talent, but we definitely seem to have a more "performer" over "composer" mentality these days.

blaargh

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whilst I agree to a certain level that we have a 'performer over artist' mentality, I think there are absolutely genius level composers out there, and writing today.

Part of the problem is that everything that can be said using the language of the 'classical' masters (Mozart, Beethoven etc.) has already been said. To be a truly artistic composer they must push the boundaries of their techniques and sounds (just like the aforementioned composers did in their day).

The below video I think is an interesting explanation of modern compositional ideals and techniques by one of the more interesting modern musicians - Esa-Pekka Salonen.

I get this is not really to everyone's (many people's!) taste, but it is an accurate insight into why it can be so challenging to listen to modern music.

HOWEVER - in the interests of helping people find accessible, creative, awesome music - check out the music in the videos below.

'Spiegel im Spiegel' (mirror in mirror) Arvo Part

'The River Cam" - Eric Whitacre (disclaimer - Julian Lloyd-Webber is the most over-rated cellist in the world... the musical equivalent of a Kashardian)

Ligeti string quartet no. 1 (not so accessible - but so awesome, I couldn't help but to include it...)

Seriously - let me know what you like from this bunch (if any), and I'll try and find you some more composers like it... Sometimes we all need a hand in searching through s**t. And there is plenty of s**t music out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back