Swimming laps

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bragging that you're from WA is giving off the wrong impression.
I have a fascination with locality and geography and what those settings mean. I genuinely enjoy hearing about towns girls are from. I definitely don't even talk about it really but I do think its an interesting topic.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Buy some speedos. If you're wearing boardies or footy shorts to the pool all the real swimmers are sfellowing at you. (Same if you turn up with a snorkel)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Buy some speedos. If you're wearing boardies or footy shorts to the pool all the real swimmers are sfellowing at you. (Same if you turn up with a snorkel)
'Real swimmers,' aka accountants who get up at 5am to swim and then talk about PBs and muscle growth are second only to 'real cyclists' in terms of twattery. I would sooner never swim again than wear utensil-jocks.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

I wear boardies on the rare occasions I swim laps. The real swimmers can sfellow if they want, but I've got better technique than 99% of them.

*until I run out of breath after 2 laps
**most of them are over 60

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
If you're only swimming for exercise the extra drag on boardies gives you a better workout anyway.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
'Real swimmers,' aka accountants who get up at 5am to swim and then talk about PBs and muscle growth are second only to 'real cyclists' in terms of twattery. I would sooner never swim again than wear utensil-jocks.

I'm a "swimmer" and i know others who swim for exercise - never, ever, EVER have i heard myself or anyone i know brag about swim times. It's the most non ostentatious exercise you can do.

You really do have a massive chip on your shoulder sometimes.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
I'm a "swimmer" and i know others who swim for exercise - never, ever, EVER have i heard myself or anyone i know brag about swim times. It's the most non ostentatious exercise you can do.

I classify a "swimmer"" as someone who used to swim competitively or still does. I'm certainly interested in people's times, but by no means "brag" as I don't swim competitively any more.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

I do see where Silent Alarm comes from, swimmers to brag and compare times. An analogy I'd use is that someone who kicks a footy around a park with his mates isn't a footballer (which is where most people who swim laps fall into), whereas someone who plays on the weekend and trains during the week is a footballer, if that makes sense. However the whole "accountant bit" is strange. I still swim a few times a week with guys I trained with for years so I can stay fit for footy. We race often enough to see how we go, but the result is often forgotten by the next day.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

What, so your group is the only one that exists?

There are plenty of arseholes with their 150 dollar goggles and Speedos and swimming caps who treat it like some serious hobby. There's a lot to be said for being chill about it and going for a swim and putting your head down, doing a few laps, then getting up and leaving. Then again Victorians have to be the most uncool swimmers around (all this "going to the beach for the weekend" mentality has resulted in the oddity of swimming at 2pm on 40 degree days, bringing about three backpacks to the beach...) so maybe it's a moot point.

And chargers 09 is right. It's like someone who sketches a few lines and anoints themselves as a poet at a party. No you aren't. You write poetry, but you're not Henry Lawson. Nobody calls themselves a "tram user" like some kind of badge of honour. You just use the tram. I walk everywhere, don't drive, and I don't call myself a "walker" or "non-driver."

It's like, people who define themselves by their hobbies or interests, i.e. I'm a "swimmer" as opposed to being someone who "likes to swim" or "go for a swim" is more connotatively lame. It's like, it's not the phrasing exactly, it's mostly the fact most people who call themselves "swimmers" or "cyclists" take themselves really seriously and act like just one thing in their lives is some really interesting, important, defining element.

But you have a chip on your shoulder too. The only difference is I take this forum as a piss-take.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Yeah not something i would bother giving a second thought to but anyways.

Just saying you can't put people in the same boat who swim for fitness and people who "swim" for lack of a better term. How the two different people train would be vastly different. People who swim for fitness are more likely to do "lap" swimming, whereas competitive swimmers will be doing interval work, HVO's, breathing control ect....

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

There are plenty of arseholes with their 150 dollar goggles and Speedos and swimming caps who treat it like some serious hobby. There's a lot to be said for being chill about it and going for a swim and putting your head down, doing a few laps, then getting up and leaving. Then again Victorians have to be the most uncool swimmers around (all this "going to the beach for the weekend" mentality has resulted in the oddity of swimming at 2pm on 40 degree days, bringing about three backpacks to the beach...) so maybe it's a moot point.

And chargers 09 is right. It's like someone who sketches a few lines and anoints themselves as a poet at a party. No you aren't. You write poetry, but you're not Henry Lawson. Nobody calls themselves a "tram user" like some kind of badge of honour. You just use the tram. I walk everywhere, don't drive, and I don't call myself a "walker" or "non-driver."

It's like, people who define themselves by their hobbies or interests, i.e. I'm a "swimmer" as opposed to being someone who "likes to swim" or "go for a swim" is more connotatively lame. It's like, it's not the phrasing exactly, it's mostly the fact most people who call themselves "swimmers" or "cyclists" take themselves really seriously and act like just one thing in their lives is some really interesting, important, defining element.

But you have a chip on your shoulder too. The only difference is I take this forum as a piss-take.

Bit stiff to group any serious swimmer as an a-hole. Just something that I used to really good at when I was younger (quite competitively when I was 15-16), now use it as a tool to keep a strong fitness base for footy. Excellent way to stay fit especially if you can swim to a decent program, and swim strong sets.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

lol $150 a pair goggles. Bit of weird rant there mate..

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Speedo's which are around 25-30 bucks are fantastic and last for years. Silent Alarm bit of an exaggerations there mate!
Mate I will have you know my Speedos were twice that price. I'm a swimmer. Like seriously I do about forty-three things a day and swim three times a week and s**t a lot more than that, but I'm not a defecator, I'm a swimmer. I don't know about you plebeians but I certainly spend close to a coupl'a'hunge on my goggles. I am a swimmer. Me and Nicky at Brunswick Baths. Then a coupla Brooklyn Pale Ales after. I'm hip. I'll dink you on my fixie?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit stiff to group any serious swimmer as an a-hole. Just something that I used to really good at when I was younger (quite competitively when I was 15-16), now use it as a tool to keep a strong fitness base for footy. Excellent way to stay fit especially if you can swim to a decent program, and swim strong sets.
What kind of sets are you doing?

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
What kind of sets are you doing?

Currently (Obviously quite general but will be doing something like this tomorrow arvo)

400 Metres at own pace alternating between freestyle pull and freestyle kick
Try and get in 100 metres of double arms backstroke (stretches the chest, and helps prevent rotator cuff injuries if done properly)

8 x 100 on 1:30
Break
4 x 25 max effort Butterfly on 1:00
Break
6 x 100 IM 2:00-2:15 depending how tied I am
Break
100 Metres Freestyle working on breath control (breathing every 5, 7, ,9 strokes, trying to go 8-10 metres of each wall.)
6-8 x 25 streamline with fins trying to get whole way each time

8 x 25 on 45 secs HVO alternating between all 4 strokes.

Cool down swimming for 5 minutes.

Believe this much easier that what we used to do when I was 13-16 especially what blokes my age who are still competing (I.e. trying to make Australian teams, making finals at open nationals, swimmers are obscenely fit.
Easy for me to do something like this a few times a week as I work at a swimming pool. Whilst swimming I always try and keep a note of my stroke count per lap and ensuring my technique is in tune.

Here is an example nicky, didn't mean to come across as arrogant was just explaining the difference.

You should always try and incorporate different drills into your swimming, I.e Biondi for developing butterfly technique, finger tip drag to ensure you're swimming with high elbows, the keyhole drill which develops the catch and is excellent for your shoulders, chest and core. Butterfly kick in streamline position is also an excellent work out for your core. Hope this helps guys.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Currently (Obviously quite general but will be doing something like this tomorrow arvo)

400 Metres at own pace alternating between freestyle pull and freestyle kick
Try and get in 100 metres of double arms backstroke (stretches the chest, and helps prevent rotator cuff injuries if done properly)

8 x 100 on 1:30
Break
4 x 25 max effort Butterfly on 1:00
Break
6 x 100 IM 2:00-2:15 depending how tied I am
Break
100 Metres Freestyle working on breath control (breathing every 5, 7, ,9 strokes, trying to go 8-10 metres of each wall.)
6-8 x 25 streamline with fins trying to get whole way each time

8 x 25 on 45 secs HVO alternating between all 4 strokes.

Cool down swimming for 5 minutes.

Believe this much easier that what we used to do when I was 13-16 especially what blokes my age who are still competing (I.e. trying to make Australian teams, making finals at open nationals, swimmers are obscenely fit.
Easy for me to do something like this a few times a week as I work at a swimming pool. Whilst swimming I always try and keep a note of my stroke count per lap and ensuring my technique is in tune.

Here is an example nicky, didn't mean to come across as arrogant was just explaining the difference.

You should always try and incorporate different drills into your swimming, I.e Biondi for developing butterfly technique, finger tip drag to ensure you're swimming with high elbows, the keyhole drill which develops the catch and is excellent for your shoulders, chest and core. Butterfly kick in streamline position is also an excellent work out for your core. Hope this helps guys.

This is quite unbelievable.

No worries chargers, you had me at hello - OR - you had me at "don't call yourself a swimmer". I had no idea about this serious distinction... I just thought saying that "i'm a swimmer" was a good way to describe my preferred exercise. I didn't realise i was stepping on the toes of people who do swim routines and time their laps.

From now on i'm just someone who splashes up and down lanes of a pool from time to time. If that is alright.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
This is quite unbelievable.

No worries chargers, you had me at hello - OR - you had me at "don't call yourself a swimmer". I had no idea about this serious distinction... I just thought saying that "i'm a swimmer" was a good way to describe my preferred exercise. I didn't realise i was stepping on the toes of people who do swim routines and time their laps.

From now on i'm just someone who splashes up and down lanes of a pool from time to time. If that is alright.

Not what I was suggesting at all.

Back