Stadium Redevelopments

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Stage 1 plans have been released, looks fantastic.

The first stage involves replacing the single tier main stand with a 3 tier new stand containing 100 new corporate suites, taking the capacity to 54,000. Once the second stage Anfield Road End redevelopment is completed in 3-4 years, the capacity will increase to 60,000.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
About time, hopefully we can do something similar. I think Liverpool could sell out 80,000 each week and the current capacity has certainly cost millions in potential revenue.

Has a timeframe been set as to when it is expected to be completed?

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Apparently August next year so fingers crossed

Apparently work will begin early next year but apparently wouldn't compromise the ground capacity, we'll see how things go, sounds too good to be true

A lot of apparentlys coz don't really know all the facts

About time, hopefully we can do something similar. I think Liverpool could sell out 80,000 each week and the current capacity has certainly cost millions in potential revenue.

Has a timeframe been set as to when it is expected to be completed?
I think we're in a bit of a literal tight spot with where the Bridge is located... not much room to move or expand.

Isnt the power station a possibility again?
Pretty sure that proposal got knocked back, haven't heard anything since then.

I know another option was Earl's court, again not sure if that was knocked back as well.

In the fox sports coverage pre-game they show an exterior of Battersea, and all I think of is Chelsea's failure to find a new home.

In the end, Chelsea failed in their Battersea proposal (Went to some foreign funded redevelopment)
Then Earls Court was sold off for residential and real estate.
And their 3rd option (Chelsea Barracks) is being redeveloped for housing as well.

Chelsea have to find a home. Stamford Bridge isn't big enough and there's no where to expand.

One thing though, with the interest in Battersea, it's obvious they're not opposed to going into South London.
Could buying some of Clapham Common or Barn Elms Sports Centre possible?

I'd kinda like to see Chelsea move to Barn Elms. Right over the river from Fulham :p

And on it, it has the size for it.
It has 10 cricket fields, 1 athletics track, 1 soccer pitch, 10 dedicated tennis courts, 2 dedicated hockey courts, 6 tennis/hockey courts, 15 tennis courts (with 10 netball courts lined out over it) and heck, in 1 corner it even has an Aussie Rules oval. I think it's large enough. All I'd want is to take away 2-3 cricket pitches. And they can just plant 1 inside the Aussie Rules oval.

Also, are the designers seriously living in the 80s still?
That just makes me think of the Bill O'Rielly stand at the SCG. Just goes back despite technically being multi-tiered.
How hard is it to go the Adelaide Oval route and have a few tiers? Sure, it'd be more expensive, but it'd make a better matchday views for the fans in the upper tiers.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Looks a bit s**t tbh. Hate the giant 3 tier stands that dwarf the others.

Guess its the best you can do since you cant build a new one.

Have they received permission yet?

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Have to say I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan of ridged stadiums, ones where one stand looks higher than the other and you end up having gaps in the corners. Man Utd got it right with OT, it's a cauldron, that's what Anfield needs to be. And 60,000 is not enough. What's the point of spending a whole heap of money for a 15,000 increase in capacity? Needs to be 70,000 at least.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Have to say I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan of ridged stadiums, ones where one stand looks higher than the other and you end up having gaps in the corners. Man Utd got it right with OT, it's a cauldron, that's what Anfield needs to be. And 60,000 is not enough. What's the point of spending a whole heap of money for a 15,000 increase in capacity? Needs to be 70,000 at least.

Long term it would make a lot more money for the club than the money we spend to build it. Plus it would take far more cash to make a new stadium, which really is a non goer anyway

Have to say I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan of ridged stadiums, ones where one stand looks higher than the other and you end up having gaps in the corners. Man Utd got it right with OT, it's a cauldron, that's what Anfield needs to be.

One of the stands (South?) is much smaller than the others. Can't extend it either as the railway line is just behind it.

Back