Universal Love Gerard Whateley's Monologue Transcript

Remove this Banner Ad

2yzihhy.png

Look, I defy anyone not to be swept up in the thrill and excitement and the story at play here.

But this was a football club with every branch working for it. Starting with the venue. It doesn't matter how good I tell you the venue is, it's better. The Adelaide Oval is the most perfect piece of modern architecture because it's a thoroughly contemporary stadium with all the character that it's had in the past.

And then there are the fans. 47,000 fans. It was two years ago that their seats were covered by plastic sheets to avoid the embarrassment of empty seats, and did they make a din. And the way that it's built, it rolls the sound back on top of the ground. Ah, and it's, the players felt it. I know that for a fact.

And then there's the administration and he's dynamic, David Koch. You walk around with him and people love him. *banter from Robbo* I strongly like Kochie. *more banter with Robbo* So the administration. He's a dynamic, he's a magnetic figure, so he's given the people a figurehead. And then you've got Keith Thomas, who's a wonderful strategic planner and his worth is showing itself more and more.

And then you've got Ken Hinkley who has those players under his touch. So I was privileged enough to be in the rooms just before they ran out. And they go through the drills to feel the physical contact. And Jay Schulz and Matthew Lobbe are hammering into each other and it's sort of to the moment of taking your breath away and then Ken called them in and they came in the tightest group and they all leaned forward and Ken leant right into the middle of them and it was quiet. Those last words were so quiet and so firm. And then they broke and they went out there with such a sense of purpose.

And then I think about Travis Boak and the way that he led them out on the field and we know the responsibility that that leadership group has been given by Ken and how they've carried it throughout and then in the aftermath when the mission had been accomplished, the people, the joy from the people. And in the rooms afterwards, Oliver Wines' mum is standing there with Travis Boak's mum swapping stories of pride and Hamish Hartlett's mum comes over. And then there's Gavin Wanganeen and his 11-year old son who's running around in the manner where you go seven years' time he'll be part of this.

It's a football club that is, that is so united in what they're trying to achieve, and think about where they were, they were the carcass on the landscape, people wanted them out, to where they are now and they'd be everybody's second team unless you have a deeply-ingrained and irrational hatred of Port Adelaide.

Thanks to Tribey for transcribing that, but the written word does not hold the same eloquence that the speech expressed. It was impassioned, from the heart and genuine; Whately believed what he spoke and it made me so proud of our club.

It was amazing, Gerard would have to be one of the best people in the media with the way he is able to convey emotion, it was very easy to get swept up in that monologue.

Thats because he cut him media teeth in radio where description is everything!!!

It's a football club that is, that is so united in what they're trying to achieve, and think about where they were, they were the carcass on the landscape, people wanted them out, to where they are now and they'd be everybody's second team unless you have a deeply-ingrained and irrational hatred of Port Adelaide.

There are many of these, but in a lot of cases, when you look at it, their hatred is completely rational. You hate what they have done to you in the past, you hate what they are now becoming...... again. History is repeating and it's killing them. It's a basic human emotion, You hate what you Fear.

Can anyone provide the actual footage? The Wookie perhaps?

The club is going to upload it onto PTV as well. The Wookie is a busy boy, give him time.

There are many of these, but in a lot of cases, when you look at it, their hatred is completely rational. You hate what they have done to you in the past, you hate what they are now becoming...... again. History is repeating and it's killing them. It's a basic human emotion, You hate what you Fear.

Yeah the thing is the Victorians don't know that we can, and we will, do to them what we did to the rest of the SANFL. Once the penny drops over there, and it will take a while, but it will, then the Fear will spread. I couldn't have put this any better, PapaG

Thanks to Tribey for transcribing that, but the written word does not hold the same eloquence that the speech expressed. It was impassioned, from the heart and genuine; Whately believed what he spoke and it made me so proud of our club.

So much this. His mannerisms and emphasis at all the right moments were next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite thing about this is that Whateley is a Cats supporter. Can you imagine anyone in the SA media being that gracious in defeat?

Whateley is a legend. Best AFL media personality going around by the length of the Flemington.

I saw that guy whilst in my seat, I referred to him as 'the AFL 360 guy' (couldn't remember his name at the time!!). He was slowly strolling across the Adelaide Oval with another person, they walked past and I was thinking about how Whateley has been gushing about our club lately and how I bet he would have something to say about this match, considering he was here for it. Sure enough this looks like something special, I haven't even read it yet I am waiting to see him say it. :)

Absolutely love this. I can't believe how far this club has come under Hinkley - it's nothing short of miraculous. And you know the best thing??? We're only going to get better. Put another 20-30 games into these boys, and we'll be frighteningly good.

Made a point of getting the kids to watch 360 when it was on last night as I knew he would not let us down after being there. Pointed him out to the kids as he walked past us in the boundary and said 'he loves Port' :)
He didn't let us down.

I was waiting for this all day Monday and 360 didn't dissapoint, but then again it rarely does. Very smart move by the club to invite Gerard over and let him experience the inner sanctum, knowing his love for the game and how much he admires what we've been able to achieve over the past 12 months.

He conveyed everything I feel about where we are in that monologue.

I wonder if the boys and girls at the SMA are going to stick the following on their website and marketing stuff.

"It doesn't matter how good I tell you the venue is, it's better. The Adelaide Oval is the most perfect piece of modern architecture because it's a thoroughly contemporary stadium with all the character that it's had in the past."

Gerard is the best footy personality on television and radio by a million miles.I was hanging for 360 last night just to see what he would have to say after being there Sunday.One of the best Port television moments in recent memory for me.He summed up what me n mum were saying after the big win on Sunday that our little football side is all grown up now to perfection.360 is the best footy show by a mile nothing gets close to it.

I admit, I got a little emotional. Just thinking about what it was like during the Choc extension/Primus years, the hope we had pre Hinkley etc. I feel like experiencing things like this, the exciting footy, AO and it's 'din', being media darlings is so much more sweeter for those of us who stayed loyal and passionate when we were at our lowest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back