Tom Petty fans this is going to be an epic!

Remove this Banner Ad

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Tom Petty's Maximum Rock & Roll: The Heartbreakers Hit the Studio

Inside 'Hypnotic Eye,' the Heartbreakers' raucous return

20140326-tom-petty-x600-1395859222.jpg

Tom Petty
Nathaniel Wood
By David Fricke
April 2, 2014 11:00 AM ET
"Do you know any other band that can do that?" Tom Petty asks, grinning, over a fast, taut crossfire of guitars, blues harp and ivory-lightning piano. "I don't," he answers himself proudly.
See our readers' picks for the 10 best Tom Petty songs
Petty is in the control room of his home studio in Malibu, blasting the 11 tracks on his next album. Hypnotic Eye, tentatively set for release this summer by Reprise Records, is the singer-guitarist's first studio effort in four years with his long-standing band, the Heartbreakers. It is also Petty's decisive return to the concise Sixties-rock classicism and drive of his first great New Wave-era albums, 1976's Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and 1978's You're Gonna Get It.
The echoes shoot out of the speakers, mostly in three-minute shots: the power-treble and clipped-fuzz guitars in "American Dream Plan B" and "Faultlines"; the swamp-snake organ lines coursing through the psychedelic voodoo of "Red River"; the bar-band charge of "Burn Out Town" and of the album's snarling finale, "Shadow People." Over everything, there is the cutting tone and seething impatience in Petty's still-youthful Florida drawl.
"That's what Mike said: 'You sing like you did on the first two albums,'" Petty, 63, says, referring to Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell. "Maybe this album does sound like that. But it's that band 30 years later."
This is the first time Petty has played Hypnotic Eye for anyone outside his band or management. Campbell, keyboard player Benmont Tench, bassist Ron Blair, drummer Steve Ferrone, multi-instrumentalist Scott Thurston, and producers Petty, Campbell and Ryan Ulyate have been working on the record since August 2011 – "Burn Out Town" was cut in the first round of sessions – and Petty is still just shy of done. He was up late last night, fine-tuning the mix for "American Dream Plan B," a song about diminished expectations, delivered by a guy who still believes in a fighting chance: "I'm half-lit, I can't dance for s**t/But I see what I want, and I go after it."
"I knew I wanted to do a rock & roll record," Petty says after the playback, sitting in the performance room of his studio, surrounded by a cool armory of vintage guitars and tube amplifiers. "We hadn't made a straight hard-rockin' record, from beginning to end, in a long time."
But he justifies the three years of periodic recording here and at the Heartbreakers' L.A. rehearsal space, the Clubhouse, this way: "You must get the songs. It takes time to write 10 or 11 really good songs." That first run of sessions in 2011 yielded several new originals that Petty put aside after deciding they were too close to "the blues bag" of 2010's Mojo. And he wasn't sure about "American Dream Plan B" even after he first played it with his bandmates.
"Silence," he says, recalling their response. "I said, 'Listen, I think we have something here, but we're going to have to get excited about it.' " In fact, Petty adds, laughing, the Heartbreakers loved the song – he just had to drag the affirmation out of them. Petty also acknowledges that while he is the undisputed leader and songwriter, the Heartbreakers hold a vital, unspoken veto in the studio: "They can't hide it. If they're not lighting up, something's wrong. It would be very hard to make this record without a band that has been together this long, with those kinds of instincts. I'm relieved to have that."
Petty has another release that could be out by Christmas: a two-disc reissue of his 1994 Top 10 solo album, Wildflowers, which includes 10 previously unreleased songs. Petty claims one of those finds, "Somewhere Under Heaven," came as a surprise when he heard it again: "I did not remember writing it, recording it, anything." He smiles. "And it was really good – uptempo but very unusual, in some strange time signature." There is also a live album hanging around, culled from Petty and the Heartbreakers' theater residencies in New York and L.A. last year.
"I never thought I'd be this busy at this point in my life," says Petty, who promises to go back on the road this year to support Hypnotic Eye. "I never expected to be at this point, doing stuff and figuring out how to get it to people." But, he notes gratefully, "This band just grows and grows, and that's an incredible gift. I can't see us calling it off. They're still the guys I want to play with – and the guys who understand my songs the best."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-pettys-maximum-rock-roll-the-heartbreakers-hit-the-studio-20140402#ixzz30YGz8aRU
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Mojo played to the strengths of the Heartbreakers and the many styles that they can play, I will admit that I haven't reached for it for a while but "First Flash of Freedom" is one that I remember as a great tune and the single, "I Should Have Known It" is probably up there with any of Petty's great rock singles, only shame that it didn't get the miles on the radio which Petty once ruled. Overall I thought the album wasn't a lot more than a gang of season campaigners jamming out on some bluesy numbers and ranking in the lower section of their overall cannon which says more of the greatness of Petty and the Heartbreakers more than anything else

Yes great album that recharged Petty propelling him to probably the commercial peak of his career with those above two songs and others such as Running Down A Dream and Yer So Bad.

Note that Wilburys mate Jeff Lynne co wrote some tunes and co produced this first solo effort you his can hear his rock pop sound over the record.

Their next teaming in 1991 was just as successful this time with the Heartbreakers on board and perhaps achieved a more consistent album song for song in my opinion, that was "Into the Great Wide Open"

Yeah he had a real revival in the late 80s and early 90s with those two albums.

Great song too.

I was planning on going to one of his concerts in Washington DC when I was living in Virginia back in 1999 with a guy I worked with who was also a big Tom Petty fan but he had to pull out due to being pussywhipped by his bitch of a wife so I missed out. One of my big regrets as it was probably my only chance to see him since he never tours here, not sure why as he'd easily sell out any stadium here.

Don't think they have been out here since 1991, could be a long wait.

I saw them in 1999 in Florida and they were fantastic, played for 2 and 1/2 hours and it was a great mix of covers and originals. Benmont Tench is possibly the most underrated musician ever, incredible player.

Benmont is amazing, he has just released his first solo album too.

1986 with Dylan was the last time TPATHB came out here IIRC, also if memory serves me correctly they came here in 1980 on the DTT tour. Besides they aren't the only act not to come to Australia, how about Elvis.

Id love to see them tour here behind the new album and throw in the old familiar faves and covers they are a bloody good band with good songs who know their s**t.

Wildflowers reissue and bonuses have me excited as that is a masterwork that album

1999 that show would have had Jammin Me and Free Girl Now and Swingin two great tunes from Echo

Benmont is amazing, he has just released his first solo album too.

1986 with Dylan was the last time TPATHB came out here IIRC, also if memory serves me correctly they came here in 1980 on the DTT tour. Besides they aren't the only act not to come to Australia, how about Elvis.

Id love to see them tour here behind the new album and throw in the old familiar faves and covers they are a bloody good band with good songs who know their s**t.

Wildflowers reissue and bonuses have me excited as that is a masterwork that album

1999 that show would have had Jammin Me and Free Girl Now and Swingin two great tunes from Echo

Yep and Billy The Kid and Room At The Top from Echo as well, love that album.

Yep and Billy The Kid and Room At The Top from Echo as well, love that album.

Petty's phrasing on the title track Echo is up there with the great man Bob Dylan, a real blood on the tracks raw and confronting love gone wrong tune and Mike Campbell's guitar solo is immense.

Put down your things and rest awhile
You know we've both nowhere to go
Yeah, daddy had to crash
He was always halfway there you know
And no, I don't pretend there's any more of that
They say one day, you'll look up and laugh and hear

The same sad echo when you walk
Yeah, the same sad echo when you talk loud and clear
It's the same as the same sad echo around here

I promise you this winter
I will worship you like gold
And ride your train forever
Electric fortunes to be told
And I don't want to question or even celebrate
All the joy you took and then gave back too late

It's the same sad echo when you lie
It's the same sad echo when you try to be clear

Well, I woke up right here
In a pool of sweat
With a box of pills and you
Yeah, and I'm gonna keep my head
I'm gonna keep my cool
Oh, I'm so in love with you
Yes and in another world nothing was like this
There may have been a girl
There never was a kiss

The poison came in liquid
She was naked all the time
And no one could explain it
It was all between the lines
And I don't seem to trust anyone no more
It could be faith I'm just not sure

It's the same sad echo every day
Yeah the same sad echo another way
When you call
It's the same as the same sad echo most of all

Well you just got tired
You just gave in
You took it hard
Then you just quit
You let me down
You dropped the ball
You fell on your face most of all
And I don't want to mean anything to you
I don't want to tempt you to be true
It's the same sad echo comin' down
It's the same sad echo all around in my ears

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Echo is great. Petty in the 90's was pretty flawless.

Yeah agreed, other than an iffy song or three from each his 1982-1987 records (Long after Dark, Southern Accents, Let Me Up) and OK a couple of tracks from Mojo, pretty much every track hes put out on the rest of the recordings have been a winners, its good to be king

Like I said Petty is a gunslinger, he fools people with his laidback surfie wastoid persona but his lyrics are sharp as a knife and biting as hell.

No better example than this song, he's playing the nice placid Mad Hatter role but he's sticking the knife into whoever wronged him with his lyrics big time.

Petty is a rock legend which is why he got a gig in The Travelling Wilburys when he was still at his peak.

Like I said Petty is a gunslinger, he fools people with his laidback surfie wastoid persona but his lyrics are sharp as a knife and biting as hell.

No better example than this song, he's playing the nice placid Mad Hatter role but he's sticking the knife into whoever wronged him with his lyrics big time.

Petty is a rock legend which is why he got a gig in The Travelling Wilburys when he was still at his peak.

The lyric was inspired by Petty's good mate, Stevie Nicks. Wiki has the crux of the story although Nicks tells a slightly different version.

Background and writing.
The original inspiration was a romantic encounter that Stewart had with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.[1] On The Howard Stern Show, Dave Stewart explained that the title's phrase was actually uttered by Nicks. She had broken up with Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh the night before,[2] and invited Stewart to her place for a party after an early Eurythmics show in Los Angeles. Stewart did not know who she was at the time, but went anyway. When the partygoers all disappeared to a bathroom for a couple of hours to snort cocaine, he decided to go upstairs to bed. He woke up at 5am to find Nicks in his room trying on Victorian clothing and described the entire scenario as very much reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. Later that morning, she told Walsh, "Don't come around here no more".

Might explain this song too, one of the greatest duets in rock history.

You can tell Petty and Nicks are great mates, the mutual respect is plain to see.

Insider goes alright too, loved how they sung it on the 30th anniversary concert, is there any videos for Insider?
One of his best songs written too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back