simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
I'm sure the discussion has been had before but, why is Ken Farmer not classified as an AFL Legend?

Farmer's SANFL goal kicking record:

1929 - 62
1930 - 105
1931 - 126
1932 - 102
1933 - 112
1934 - 106
1935 - 128
1936 - 134
1937 - 108
1938 - 112
1939 - 113
1940 - 123
1941 - 86

In 13 seasons and 224 games for North Adelaide, Farmer kicked 1419 goals, making him the highest goal scorer in the history of the SANFL, a record that stands to this day. His total and average of 6.33 goals per game exceeds that of even VFL legends such as Peter McKenna, Gordon Coventry and Tony Lockett (VFL/AFL record 1360 goals), and also that of Bernie Naylor. On 35 occasions he kicked 10 goals or more. In 224 games he was held goalless only once, when he was carried off injured after 10 minutes of play. His Highest in a year was 134, but rather than kicking more in a season, he kicked 100 goals 11 times.

Ken Farmer 17 representative games for South Australia yielded a further 81 goals (4.8 per game), giving him a career total of 1500 goals; he places second behind only Peter Hudson as the highest goal-scorer in top-level senior Australian rules football history.

He holds the equal record for most goals kicked in a SANFL match with 23 goals against West Torrens. His 23.6 were a contribution to his side's winning score of 26.11.

For me, the argument is compelling to be honest - his record is out of this world and is so far in front of his peers it is ridiculous. A campaign needs to be started to make this happen as it highlights how biased the selection panel is to VFL players.

I say this as a long time Norwood supporter and Port Power supporter.

Robran is the only Legend from SA, but eventually Farmer and Ebert will get in. I say this as a long time Port Adelaide and Port Adelaide supporter :p
do you think Ebert will get in?

Maybe a few years away but over 400 senior games, 3 premierships and 4 Magarey Medals...speaks for itself.
hopefully... no doubt that the SANFL is under represented in the so called 'legends' category!

I'm sure the discussion has been had before but, why is Ken Farmer not classified as an AFL Legend?

Farmer's SANFL goal kicking record:

Thats the reason why... cause he didn't do it in the VFL so isn't recognised the same way.

Hi All,
I'd create a new thread for this but as I've not yet posted 5 times on this site, I don't have the authority to start a new one.

In recent times, some footage of Ken Farmer in action - albeit brief - has been uncovered in a 1933 Cinesound Review news segment covering a Vic v SA National Australian Rules Football Carnival group match.

To read more and to see the footage, please check out this link - Farmer is No. 9 for SA:
https://www.nfsa.gov.au/latest/afl-1933-wave-two-flags

For good measure, the film also features a goal being kicked by Gordon Coventry (Vic/No.5), and glimpses of play featuring SA skipper Percy Furler (North Adelaide - SA/No.1, who also goals at the far end, evading 3 Vics to do so), Len Sallis (Glenelg - SA/No. 23), Jack Collins (Geelong - Vic/No. 12), Alby Wundersitz (Sturt - SA/No. 22). There are also blink and you'll miss 'em moments with Haydn Bunton (Fitzroy - Vic/No. 8), Gordon Strang (Richmond - Vic/No.20), Reg Hickey (Geelong - Vic/No.2) and Syd Coventry (Collingwood - Vic skipper/No.1), amongst the best known players spotted.

Bob Pratt was in the squad but got injured in the game before (against WA) and sat out the match. Interestingly, the squad for the carnival comprised 24 players, 2 from each VFL club - unsure about the SANFL players and how they were chosen - presumably the same?

At the end of the piece is a link to a very well written (and moving) piece on Ken Farmer and his son, written by Mike Sexton, an ABC TV journo and footy tragic in his spare time. This was what started the film find.
Hope you find this of interest.

cheers
Simon/NFSA

PS - I'll probably post this in other places on Big Footy to get my '5 post minimum for thread creations' up!

That's amazing footage!!
So many champs never before seen in action. For me as a life long Pies fan, I got to see Gordon Coventry snap a goal!! It was bloody emotional.
Also at the end it's clear to see Syd Coventry too - the quality of the tape is amazing. How is that we don't have more like it...all those state games, all those Grand Finals.
Brilliant!

Hi All,
I'd create a new thread for this but as I've not yet posted 5 times on this site, I don't have the authority to start a new one.

In recent times, some footage of Ken Farmer in action - albeit brief - has been uncovered in a 1933 Cinesound Review news segment covering a Vic v SA National Australian Rules Football Carnival group match.

To read more and to see the footage, please check out this link - Farmer is No. 9 for SA:
https://www.nfsa.gov.au/latest/afl-1933-wave-two-flags

For good measure, the film also features a goal being kicked by Gordon Coventry (Vic/No.5), and glimpses of play featuring SA skipper Percy Furler (North Adelaide - SA/No.1, who also goals at the far end, evading 3 Vics to do so), Len Sallis (Glenelg - SA/No. 23), Jack Collins (Geelong - Vic/No. 12), Alby Wundersitz (Sturt - SA/No. 22). There are also blink and you'll miss 'em moments with Haydn Bunton (Fitzroy - Vic/No. 8), Gordon Strang (Richmond - Vic/No.20), Reg Hickey (Geelong - Vic/No.2) and Syd Coventry (Collingwood - Vic skipper/No.1), amongst the best known players spotted.

Bob Pratt was in the squad but got injured in the game before (against WA) and sat out the match. Interestingly, the squad for the carnival comprised 24 players, 2 from each VFL club - unsure about the SANFL players and how they were chosen - presumably the same?

At the end of the piece is a link to a very well written (and moving) piece on Ken Farmer and his son, written by Mike Sexton, an ABC TV journo and footy tragic in his spare time. This was what started the film find.
Hope you find this of interest.

cheers
Simon/NFSA

PS - I'll probably post this in other places on Big Footy to get my '5 post minimum for thread creations' up!

Thanks for the link, awesome!

I would assume the SA players would have been the best available across the SANFL clubs, i.e. no restrictions.
Thanks for the footage, though one issue: AFL is a league established in 1990 and not the name of the sport. Labeling the footage "AFL, 1933" is incorrect.

Last edited:
I would assume the SA players would have been the best available across the SANFL clubs, i.e. no restrictions.
Thanks for the footage.

Yes that is correct I.e no state of origin concept, just the best of the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back