Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
If you thought the Eagles record vs Collingwood at the MCG was bad, you were wrong - its absolutely pathetic. We have 1 win against the Pies in 28 years of our history. A lot people including myself have considered Port Adelaide to be our bogey team and to a lesser extent I think they are. But this disastrous record against the Pies is probably our most shameful record we have, and that includes the wooden spoon and 100+ point thumpings,

The last (and only time) we have beaten Collingwood at the MCG was in 1995. Since then we have lost 8 games straight in this fixture. If youre like me youll put $20 on the pies to win this weekend as a reverse mocker attempt to try and get an Eagles win. But god forbid should we ever come up against Eddies mob on grand final day.

Does even the most optimistic Eagles fan see this losing streak coming to an end this weekend with our current group? Why the hell can't we beat them at the MCG?

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
It's not great but to be fair we didn't play them at all at the G during the late 90's when they were a pretty ordinary team. Our losses since have been in 2002 when they made the grand final so there's no shame, and 2008 onwards the pies have been good whilst we've been very up and down.

The only loss that really stands out of the 8 in a row since 1995 is 2005. We beat them at Vic Park a few times in the late 90's and again at docklands in 2000 and 2003 which was their grand final year.

They've been our bogey team in recent years regardless of where games have been played - we've won 1 of the last 10.

Apollo2011

Cancelled
Aug 21, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
We won't get back to being a feared team until we can win in Melbourne - has been a problem for us for years.

I have hope, but sadly I don't see it happening this weekend. Buckley won't be happy with two losses coming off the bye.

Never fear - I'm dusting off the ole scarf and heading on the red roo over to melbs!!

I'm sure my attendance will be motivation enough to get the lads fired up for a win.

I will annoy s**t out of them all flight home if they don't - making sure my voice is loud enough for them to hear my thoughts on their shortcomings!! ;)

Never fear - I'm dusting off the ole scarf and heading on the red roo over to melbs!!

I'm sure my attendance will be motivation enough to get the lads fired up for a win.

I will annoy s**t out of them all flight home if they don't - making sure my voice is loud enough for them to hear my thoughts on their shortcomings!! ;)

Well if you're flying qantas you'll have to be very loud since they'll be on a different plane

I'm glad we're playing them twice this year :) . 2 opportunities to break the duck . For some strange reason I'm feeling quietly confident about this weekend (and I'm usually not an optimist eg a few rounds into last year I'd already predicted we wouldn't make the finals ). Sure our recent record against them is atrocious but it's the natural result of playing 4 of the last 5 at the mcg (and surprise , the middle of those 3 games , which was the only one here , we won ) , as well as them being a better side than us over that time. It's not our most embarrassing record (even if you won't count our spoon), our finals record against Essendon takes that crown :'(

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
You can make any excuse you want but our records against the pies in Melbourne is downright disgraceful.
In 2005 we were on top of the ladder and lost to the pies who were on the bottom.

Talk about the biggest psychological andante a team has over us. We could have a state team and still lose to them over there.

Its time we stopped it. But I could put my house on the pies this weekend and win.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
It's not a great record we have against them in Melbourne in general whether MCG or Etihad. IIRC the 2005 game was at Etihad, we were on top they were on the bottom and they rolled us. The last few games (since 2011 QF) we have played against them at the MCG haven't been slaughterings which is a positive

I've been there for 2 MCG games and 1 Etihad game. 2008 at the G where we were in the game at half time, than lost by 100 + and the 2012 semi final which was a pretty tight affair. 2010 was at Etihad and similar to the 2008 result

Think a fair result would be a 5 to 10 goal loss

Jun 3, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
We will win this weekend:)
Actually haven't been this optimistic in a while. No real reason as to why, just feel that the guys will be hungry to win this one.
Haven't been all that bad apart from in front of goal. Kennedy kicking 11 hopefully gives him confidence to get his game back to the level that it has been in previous years.

Haha quality post.

That moment completely lost that game for us. No doubt about it.

However, when you think about it, we would have got rolled at the SCG the following week and if not that then we still had the GF vs Hawks.. so even though his shocking effort got us booted from the finals, it didn't exactly cost us a flag.

Spooky17

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Youse will get pounded by the Pies before coming home to see Majak kick the winning goal after the siren at Subi Oval.

Redemption for my Norf

1jhzc.gif

Good times :thumbsu:

Matera LeNui

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Have been to the last few games against Collingwood at the mcg. Twice sat in there cheer squad, horrible. Cant imagine how bad Victoria Park must have been. There is a lot of preppy young kids, rich middle agers and Geordie Shore type people now with there big membership-cant imagine many of those sorts back in the day. Would absolutely love to win this. 6 point game.

Back