Do any photos or videos from the 1990 exhibition match between Geelong and Port exist?

Port 2.5 3.8 10.10 14.14 98
Geel 3.4 12.8 15.14 22.18 150

Best: D.Smith, Brown, Williams, Settre, Phillips, Crerar, Fiacchi, Ginever
Goals: Settre 2.5, D.Smith 2.1, Hynes, Hodges 2.1, Borlase 2.0, Williams 1.1, Wanganeen, Hutton, Tregenza 1.0

Goals: Settre 2.5, D.Smith 2.1, Hynes, Hodges 2.1, Borlase 2.0, Williams 1.1, Wanganeen, Hutton, Tregenza 1.0

geez, we got touched up

geez, we got touched up

The gap was already growing between SANFL and AFL but it was played in February. We barely started training by then. Our pre-season form wasn't great but what a year it turned out to be in so many ways!

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber

That's different from the source I was looking at but I trust you more than the source.

That's different from the source I was looking at but I trust you more than the source.

Trust the 1990 edition of the Magpie News I copied that out of - oh and it tallies with my memory of the game. ;)

Played at Footy Park in front of around 35,000 AFL-hungry spectators. But oh no said the visionaries at the SANFL, we're happy solely with the product in our backyard and don't want anything to do with that nasty national competition.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a historic game. I'd love to read an insiders account of the whole 1990 saga and I bet this game would have gelled some thinking around the boardroom.

It would have been a pretty reasonable specatacle as well. That was a pretty massive Geelong team in that era.

Did Ken Hinkley play in this game? He'd only played 1 game for Geelong in 1989, and hadn't established himself in their best 20 at this time. But it's the sort of game he might have played in.

Well worth asking the club if they've footage. Or failing that the television people, I pretty sure I watched this game on telly in Whyalla back in the day.

Played at Footy Park in front of around 35,000 AFL-hungry spectators. But oh no said the visionaries at the SANFL, we're happy solely with the product in our backyard and don't want anything to do with that nasty national competition.

We just have to sit tight until 1994 or 1995 and they'll be begging us to join, what with years of draft concessions and no licence fee whatsoever!!1

brad the brain

Team Captain
May 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was there.Gary Ablett didn't have a big day but he got 5 goals I think?
He stood Paul Northeast who battled hard but under sized.
The headline in the Melbourne papers I think was Ablett turned Northeast Southwest.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
My first taste of Victorian football was when I went to Football Park to see the pre-season trial game between Port Adelaide and Geelong... (was that 1990?)

was that the trial match?
I have always tried locating a copy of this game but to no luck. I know some down in Geelong recorded that game as it featured one of the best goals by Ablett you could ever witness and was circulating around for a short period of time before getting lost forever.
Do you have memories of this game?
If so, was it the game in which Ablett kicked that goal?

was that the trial match?
I have always tried locating a copy of this game but to no luck. I know some down in Geelong recorded that game as it featured one of the best goals by Ablett you could ever witness and was circulating around for a short period of time before getting lost forever.
Do you have memories of this game?
If so, was it the game in which Ablett kicked that goal?

It was at that trial match and remember Ablett kicking a freak goal where we all just looked on dumbfounded. You would call it a fluke if anyone else had done it.

(PS I moved your post to a more recent thread where we discussed this game in particular)

Back