Preview Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Gray, Mitchell, Trengove

In: Young, Cassisi, Shaw/Butcher

Get Westhoff to play majority in defense to be that tall defender. Shaw or Butcher could be that tall forward to fill the role Westhoff would normally have.

What we want to happen/should happen:

In: Clurey, Shaw, Young/Newton/Logan/Cassisi
Out Gray Mitchell Trengove

What will actually happen
In: O'Shea Young
Out: Gray Trengove

Trengove out is the first thing we have to deal with it. At first glance you'd think Clurey is the guy to come into him, but when you think about it a bit that's probably not the best option. We still have Carlile, Hombsch and Jonas in defence, but Trengove out makes Westhoff the second ruck, and that means we're down to one key forward when Lobbe needs a rest. That's bad against any team, but it's damn near suicidal against a team with Cale Hooker, Jake Carlisle and Dustin Fletcher in their back 6. So I think we need to replace Trengove with a tall forward, not a defender. Butch has kicked 1 goal in the last two weeks, and Shaw has kicked 12 goals in the last 3 weeks. That makes me lean towards giving Mason a surprise debut. Timing is everything for reserves players, and the spot opened up at the right time for Mason with Butch woefully out of form and P. Stew injured.

Sam Gray out for Young. No deep tactical reason for that, Young is just a better player. Gray is too Brett Ebert-ish for mine, his gamestyle requires him to be about 15 cm's taller than he actually is. Kern will probably bring in Cassisi but I rate Young higher, especially since he can go forward.

I think Mitchell did enough to keep his spot with 12 disposals, 6 tackles and a goal (technically the goal went to Polec but Mitchell did all the work), but he should stay as sub and Young should get a full game. If he was to go out, Newton would come into consideration. I thought he was better than Young in the SANFL. Young's stat sheet looked better, but just about every kick was a helicopter. Newton used the ball a lot better, and he still did get plenty of it even if it wasn't quite as much as Young.

I'd also consider Impey out for O'Shea. The Bombers don't really have the sort of player who requires somebody like Impey, and Trengove out means that the extra height down back wouldn't hurt.

B: T. Jonas, A. Carlile, C. O'Shea
HB: J. Pittard, J. Hombsch, M. Broadbent
C: H. Hartlett, O. Wines, K. Cornes
HF: R. Gray, J. Westhoff, C. Wingard
F: A. Monfries, J. Schulz, M. Shaw
R: M. Lobbe, T. Boak, B. Ebert
Int: J. Polec, M. White, A. Young
Sub: K. Mitchell

In: Shaw, Young, O'Shea
Out: Trengove (inj), S. Gray, Impey

Last edited:
Trengove out is the first thing we have to deal with it. At first glance you'd think Clurey is the guy to come into him, but when you think about it a bit that's probably not the best option. We still have Carlile, Hombsch and Jonas in defence, but Trengove out makes Westhoff the second ruck, and that means we're down to one key forward when Lobbe needs a rest. That's bad against any team, but it's damn near suicidal against a team with Cale Hooker, Jake Carlisle and Dustin Fletcher in their back 6. So I think we need to replace Trengove with a tall forward, not a defender. Butch has kicked 1 goal in the last two weeks, and Shaw has kicked 12 goals in the last 3 weeks. That makes me lean towards giving Mason a surprise debut.

Sam Gray out for Young. No deep tactical reason for that, Young is just a better player. Kern will probably bring in Cassisi but I rate Young higher, especially since he can go forward. I think Mitchell did enough to keep his spot with 12 disposals, 6 tackles and a goal (technically the goal went to Polec but Mitchell did all the work), but he should stay as sub and Young should get a full game.

I'd also consider Impey out for O'Shea. The Bombers don't really have the sort of player who requires somebody like Impey, and Trengove out means that the extra height down back wouldn't hurt.

B: T. Jonas, A. Carlile, C. O'Shea
HB: J. Pittard, J. Hombsch, M. Broadbent
C: H. Hartlett, O. Wines, K. Cornes
HF: R. Gray, J. Westhoff, C. Wingard
F: A. Monfries, J. Schulz, M. Shaw
R: M. Lobbe, T. Boak, B. Ebert
Int: J. Polec, M. White, A. Young
Sub: K. Mitchell

In: Shaw, Young, O'Shea
Out: Trengove (inj), S. Gray, Impey

Impey out? Besides not conceding one today the the bombers have Colyer/winderlich.

Well it doesn't matter what the changes are if Ken gets outcoached again. We lost vs Adelaide before the ball was bounced and on a 6 day turnaround with heavy legs like they had this will be a struggle to beat essendon

Ken, time to stop being smart and play a proper forward line. Your decisions to push the forwards up so far has been exposed time and time again, and a few times we got out of jail but not today, or vs Sydney, or vs North

And really, if you think on a game where rain was predicted that Sam Gray and that mega squid Mitchell were better choice than Logan and Young, you need to think again

First thing's first is to remove the SANFL guys who expose us at AFL level, sorry SGray and Mitchell.

Now let's not play injured players, Trengove.

Let's bring in the guy who actually has an impact at AFL level, Aaron Young.

Now our structure is kind of a mess, we are missing a backup ruck and are one tall short. Bring in Mason Shaw. And let's reward someone playing well in the 2s.

OUT: Gray, Mitchell, Trengove
IN: Young, Logan, Shaw

Impey out? Besides not conceding one today the the bombers have Colyer/winderlich.

Colyer is a poor man's Kane Mitchell who will probably get the sub vest, and Winderlich is about 4 years past it. Much more worried about their talls getting away from us, and we've still got Jasper back there who isn't exactly a plodder. O'Shea's strength was going in as the third man up, and we'll need that against the 200cm Daniher who will be playing on guys 7-8 cm's shorter than him. It would hopefully also free up Jonas a bit to take Paul Chapman.

And Impey was clumsy today, the only reason he didn't concede one is because Eddie missed two easy shots and didn't get an obvious in the back free in the second (just about the only time all game an umpiring decision went our way).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First thing's first is to remove the SANFL guys who expose us at AFL level, sorry SGray and Mitchell.

Now let's not play injured players, Trengove.

Let's bring in the guy who actually has an impact at AFL level, Aaron Young.

Now our structure is kind of a mess, we are missing a backup ruck and are one tall short. Bring in Mason Shaw. And let's reward someone playing well in the 2s.

OUT: Gray, Mitchell, Trengove
IN: Young, Logan, Shaw

Its time to give Shaw a chance. Adelaide played well, but we shouldn't be losing games like this - its happened twice this year and considering the opportunity before us (ie: A premiership) that is simply unacceptable.

Whats the go with Trengoves injury?
In: Young, Clurey, Newton
Out: Trengove, Mitchell, Gray

First time I've really questioned hinkley.. Be interesting to see how he responds.

We made a huge mistake not playing Young today.

He deserves to have a full game next week against Essendon.

In: Young, Shaw (if Trengove is out injured)

Out: Mitchell, Trengove

What did Logan do wrong last week?

Arguably BOG against the Dogs and he's one and done while Sam Gray and Kane Mitchell stay in? Jeepers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back