Day/night Test cricket

There's a strong suggestion that a day/night Test between Australia and New Zealand will be staged during the 2015/16 Australia summer - either in Adelaide or Hobart. What are people's thoughts on this? We saw the first day/night Shield games last summer, so I suppose it was a natural progression to take it to the Test arena. If it happens, it'll be very interesting to see what happens.

yamupetau

Debutant
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man United
It would be an interesting novelty no doubt about it and could probably work as a one off game every year or two. I don't think it would ever get popular enough for it to be brought out for a whole series though. Test cricket is still a very traditional part of the game and I don't think it will go well with the general public if it gets changed around too much.
I'ld be happy to see a d/n test in Hobart as tests are only played in Tasmania as an extra when we have 6 tests over a summer.

Plus, it always rains in the morning for the Hobart test match so play doesn't usually get underway until around lunchtime anyway!

DrVanNostrand

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2011
129 West 81st
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They've been talking about it and trialling pink balls for long enough, so the sooner they just hurry up and do it, the sooner we'll actually know if it's a worthwhile venture. If it's at Adelaide, I'd even head down to see the new Oval, and for the novelty of a day/night Test in what should be a pretty decent series.

More interested in knowing if this Aus/NZ series will be two Tests or three. Hoping for three, being Brisbane, Adelaide and Hobart.

It would be an interesting novelty no doubt about it and could probably work as a one off game every year or two. I don't think it would ever get popular enough for it to be brought out for a whole series though. Test cricket is still a very traditional part of the game and I don't think it will go well with the general public if it gets changed around too much.
I'ld be happy to see a d/n test in Hobart as tests are only played in Tasmania as an extra when we have 6 tests over a summer.

Plus, it always rains in the morning for the Hobart test match so play doesn't usually get underway until around lunchtime anyway!
The other question is, how long will Perth be without a Test? I know they're off this year's calendar against India, but will there be a Test in WA in 2015/16? Hopefully the answer is yes, and we'll play 3 Tests against NZ, and another 3 against another country - ensuring the fact that Hobart also gets a Test match.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
The other question is, how long will Perth be without a Test? I know they're off this year's calendar against India, but will there be a Test in WA in 2015/16? Hopefully the answer is yes, and we'll play 3 Tests against NZ, and another 3 against another country - ensuring the fact that Hobart also gets a Test match.

Perth will only miss one test due to the world cup.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
They've been talking about it and trialling pink balls for long enough, so the sooner they just hurry up and do it, the sooner we'll actually know if it's a worthwhile venture. If it's at Adelaide, I'd even head down to see the new Oval, and for the novelty of a day/night Test in what should be a pretty decent series.

More interested in knowing if this Aus/NZ series will be two Tests or three. Hoping for three, being Brisbane, Adelaide and Hobart.

It's scheduled for 3 in the future tours program.
We also have 3 tests that summer against I think the Windies (but it could be Pakistan)

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The ACA player survey suggests the ball is a failure. It needs to actually work before it gets a run at Test level.
Once it happens not all venues are suitable. Hobart is a two-edged sword really. The games could just about finish at 8pm in natural light with the red ball, and close to 9pm on a clear day if it was the Test before Melbourne or after Sydney. That makes the most sense to me, trial a later start for Hobart with the red ball and take advantage of the longer daylight hours.
On the other hand there can be dew issues, particularly with the early season match Hobart normally gets. (Hobart, more than anywhere else, really needs their Test to be in January due to weather being unrelaible in November, and allowing people to travel from the north of the state during holidays.)

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Day/night test cricket, pink balls? Get fu*ked.

Agreed. It's amazing that they shelved the pink ball years ago and now they want to try it again? When will these clowns realize Test cricket is the real deal? It needs to be played in daylight with a red ball. You can stuff around with all the other novelty acts that masquerade as cricket matches, but leave Test cricket alone FFS!!!!!

Sports administrators won't rest until they've stuffed up everything just to make a few extra $$$$$$$

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Obviously they need to get the ball right first, but besides that, I don't get the big deal? It will give the game more exposure, get more bums in seats and will most likely get higher TV ratings. I can't see how it will affect the quality of the game? I know it's not how cricket was traditionally played, but they only played AFL during the sunlight for 100 years and no one kicked up a storm when they put that under lights.

I think 1 game is enough, possibly Brisbane?

Why can't they used a white ball? Is it hard to see at dawn?

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Obviously they need to get the ball right first, but besides that, I don't get the big deal? It will give the game more exposure, get more bums in seats and will most likely get higher TV ratings. I can't see how it will affect the quality of the game? I know it's not how cricket was traditionally played, but they only played AFL during the sunlight for 100 years and no one kicked up a storm when they put that under lights.

It won't be Brisbane.

Adelaide is the one they will want.

Don't like it because I like test cricket the way it is. I get why they're doing it, but somethings just need to left alone.
HOWEVER, prepared to give it a go and see how it turns out.
If it's a one off just to test the market then why not. Not a chance they'll do it in any of the big series.

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts

I don't think this will be the case. The uniqueness, elegance and tradition of test cricket is something that cant be screwed around with. To me its what makes the game. Is it me, or is test cricket rising in popularity in Australia? I love it. Compared to the other forms it is MILES apart.

That first morning of a test match is like nothing in any other sport.

Using pink balls in test cricket under lights is like playing deciding to play Wimbledon on hard courts at night....its just not cricket

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
I don't think this will be the case. The uniqueness, elegance and tradition of test cricket is something that cant be screwed around with. To me its what makes the game. Is it me, or is test cricket rising in popularity in Australia? I love it. Compared to the other forms it is MILES apart.

That first morning of a test match is like nothing in any other sport.

Using pink balls in test cricket under lights is like playing deciding to play Wimbledon on hard courts at night....its just not cricket
I agree with this. The first morning of day one is special. I agree the buzz you get is better than anything else in sport. Don't tinker with test cricket, it is the real cricket. T20 and ODI do what you want, but don't try and change the beauty of test cricket.

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I agree with this. The first morning of day one is special. I agree the buzz you get is better than anything else in sport. Don't tinker with test cricket, it is the real cricket. T20 and ODI do what you want, but don't try and change the beauty of test cricket.

+1

Yep: no argument from me. Test cricket has been a day game for 137 years, and it hasn't died yet, so why change now? Just imagine contesting the Ashes next year with a pink ball - I reckon it'd be as close to cricketing heresy as you can get.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
They wouldn't be trying to do this if test cricket wasn't struggling. Get real people. Tests are well and truly dying out side the big 3. Test cricket just isn't contributing like the other two.

They wouldn't be trying to do this if test cricket wasn't struggling. Get real people. Tests are well and truly dying out side the big 3. Test cricket just isn't contributing like the other two.

While the crowds are staying away, the TV rights deals are still pretty strong. Most people are happy to follow test cricket in some way, just that they can't justify taking a day off work to sit and watch a days play.

I don't know what others think, but outside India, how well does the IPL rate these days? Maybe I'm somewhat biased against it: I would have no clue which players played for which team, and I couldn't actually tell you if a certain player even participated this year. If others enjoyed it, then good luck to them. But give me a Test match any day of the week - the drama of those last 2 Tests in England can't be manufactured in any other form of the game, and I love it. If Test cricket dies, then so will my love of the game!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong - T20 and 50 over cricket definitely deserve their place on the cricket calendar. But why does the ICC deem it necessary to program a T20 World Cup virtually every year? I reckon it's like fairy floss: a little bit is OK, but if you overdose on it you get rather sick in the stomach :)

On the one hand I agree with the 'test cricket is the best format and why we watch cricket, don't tinker with it' argument, but on the other hand if this is something that could possibly allow an extra test to be fit in (removing even numbered series etc) and increase viewers/crowds then I'm for it. It's a toughie. It feels too soon considering the issues with the ball and the mixed reception is my main issue (on that note, does anyone have a good article explaining the struggles with coloured balls?).

People like Chris Rogers not being able to be involved isn't great either, I understand that it's rare but any exclusion like that would be very rough on the player/s involved.

But essentially, if this eventually means that nations could fit in a single test on short form tours to countries where they might not otherwise play test cricket often, or increase 2 test series (which always feel too short for mine) to 3 at the expense of a couple of ODIs then I'm willing to see how it goes.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I like the idea as a novelty, but I don't care much for the tinkering with it. It's accessible as it is to all as a day time game, it's how it's always been played and how I'd prefer it to stay. For night cricket, we have a summer chock full of limited overs and Big Bash matches, and during the winter, Tests in England and elsewhere.

Should it happen though, I'd imagine it'll be around to stay, and will be far more than a once-a-summer event. Enjoying the points for and against it, though.

Back