Player Thread

Grade 5, Section 3 if anyone happens to be in my grade this year. Had a long first match, ended up winning 2-6 7-6 6-3 in 2 1/2 hours. Bit sore today.

Bit above me, Grade 7, Section 4. Well Done on the win. Good long one to start off with.

Play for Langwarrin, Chris.

Chris_2593

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
ATP
This is probably a long shot but does anyone know any clubs in the Melbourne area that need emergency players for pennant? Keen to get back into it.

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Hi Playerz,

I play pennants tennis in Perth. Played my first year of pennants this summer in a very low divi and although I only won 5 matches, it was enjoyable. Played against a lot of youngsters coming up into adults tennis, and some of them got game. Playing as a sub for a winter pennants team at the moment. Gives me my fix.

I also play in a really well organised and participated social league mid week. Play in a team of 4 against about 7 other teams, one match singles and two matches of doubles, 11 games, sudden death deuce. Its really enjoyable. Lots of hornbags down there too.

Playing style - well I love the serve volley but I reckon I have more of a counter puncher style. I had a biggish first serve, but it means squat if you fault most the time, so these days its all about placement and consistency. Things are going a lot better. I am to get my first serve in at least 70% of the time cos my second serve is still shaky. I try play the percentages as much I can. Crosscourt to crosscourt. Shortball I will always look to approach down the line and come into the net. Guess that's why I enjoy watching Murray - same kind of thing on a whole lot shitter scale.

Gearwise, I use an Head Radical. It goes alright. I shank quite a bit with it though cos I'm crap and it has quite a small head:

Radical.JPG

I also have a Babolat PureDrive (French Open):

puredrive.JPG

I don't like the PureDrive anymore. I used to own an Extreme Pro 2.0 but sold it cos I blamed it for my tennis elbow. But really it was just the way I was serving. It was sublime on the groundstrokes. If anyone wants to swap for one or something let me know. They don't seem to make them anymore, and I miss it!

extremepro2.0.JPG

Jus bought these bad boys last night. Do you know how hard it is to find decent tennis shoes in US size 11?!:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Grade 5, Section 3 if anyone happens to be in my grade this year. Had a long first match, ended up winning 2-6 7-6 6-3 in 2 1/2 hours. Bit sore today.
Bit above me, Grade 7, Section 4. Well Done on the win. Good long one to start off with.

Play for Langwarrin, Chris.
Should've been tagged in! Whip your asses :D jks

Stopped pennant this season but have played a points tournament this year, did alright. Still having regular hits

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Im over in Melbourne soon for work for a couple of weeks - staying in Williamstown. Anyone know of any clubs around there which would offer drop-in, cardio or even coaching sessions?

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Im over in Melbourne soon for work for a couple of weeks - staying in Williamstown. Anyone know of any clubs around there which would offer drop-in, cardio or even coaching sessions?
Liston tennis club is a great club right on the waterfront of williamstown. 6 courts, plenty of coaching and cardio tennis, etc.

Also a couple of other smaller clubs in williamstown, williamstown central tennis club.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm on holidays for the next couple of weeks so if anyone wants to go for a hit during the week I'm keen. I play near high point shopping centre.
Send you a PM in a sec :thumbsu:

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Liston tennis club is a great club right on the waterfront of williamstown. 6 courts, plenty of coaching and cardio tennis, etc.

Sweet that's right where Im staying! Awesome. Cheers

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toby Greene, Man City, Timberwolves
Anyone have any tips for buying tennis balls to hit against brick walls? I've been grabbing the generic big brand names for $10 (4 balls) but they all die pretty quickly. Is there a specific type I should be looking for that will last longer on the brick wall and concrete? Can't afford to cough up $10 a week for tennis balls...

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pressureless tennis balls are pretty good. I have Tretorn Micro X. I don't use them against the wall because the concrete tends to destroy the felt pretty quickly - I just keep them in my bag for sporadic hitting sessions.

They're about twice the price, but they never go flat. If you're spending $10 a week you'd definitely save some money using them.

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
Bump.

Anyone players out there keen for a chat about how their season is going, equipment, tips/advice?

Having a a pretty tough year in pennant. Won my first 5 or 6 singles matches of the year, and have lost the last 4. Doubles, the record is worse. Playing a lot of good juniors coming up into senior tennis. I enjoy playing them cos they give you a really good workout and its always competitive. Getting a bit frustrated with my team mates. They don't have a great work ethic and tend to give up really easy.

The season is annoying too. Massive break over the Christmas holidays, and every public holiday. Go for weeks on end without playing competitive tennis.

Have recently bought a cheap ball machine from gumtree, which Im finding is great for workouts and focusing on specific shots.

I play with a Head Graphene Extreme Pro. Love this racket, especially on groundstrokes.

102037_1.jpg

Have been working hard on my serve the last couple of weeks, really focusing on getting racket drop and loosening up.

Playing style, I'm probably mostly a counter puncher. Just play the percentages, keep the ball in play and wait for a weak short ball rather than going for outright winners. At my level the person who wins is the one who makes the least unforced errors.

Last edited:
Have recently bought a cheap ball machine from gumtree, which Im finding is great for workouts and focusing on specific shots.

Any good? Been looking at getting one of these but they all seem so expensive

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Is $1300-1400 the going rate for these machines as per ebay?

Someone has a pretty old one up for sale gumtree only $100 pretty good price for it if still works

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Bump.

Anyone players out there keen for a chat about how their season is going, equipment, tips/advice?

Having a a pretty tough year in pennant. Won my first 5 or 6 singles matches of the year, and have lost the last 4. Doubles, the record is worse. Playing a lot of good juniors coming up into senior tennis. I enjoy playing them cos they give you a really good workout and its always competitive. Getting a bit frustrated with my team mates. They don't have a great work ethic and tend to give up really easy.

The season is annoying too. Massive break over the Christmas holidays, and every public holiday. Go for weeks on end without playing competitive tennis.

I play with a Head Graphene Extreme Pro. Love this racket, especially on groundstrokes.

102037_1.jpg

Have been working hard on my serve the last couple of weeks, really focusing on getting racket drop and loosening up.

Playing style, I'm probably mostly a counter puncher. Just play the percentages, keep the ball in play and wait for a weak short ball rather than going for outright winners. At my level the person who wins is the one who makes the least unforced errors.
How much did you pay for that racquet mate?

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
Any good? Been looking at getting one of these but they all seem so expensive

Ive got a tennis tutor pro. It goes alright. The flaps that hold the balls in are pretty flimsy and have broken, so have ordered new ones. I got it for a bargain off gumtree for $300.

Biggest gripe with it is that its AC powered only. My tennis club has a couple of powered courts but its a pain in the arse booking out the courts, then setting it up. I plan to get the most use of it over winter when the courts are less busy.

Back