Remove this Banner Ad

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oddly enough, I like the INs. Cassisi adds the experience, O'Shea offers another avenue to run out of defence and young, well he will bring some real class. Just hope they don't have him as the sub!
If Young is sub i will stamp my feet & become irritable

I can see Lobbe "resting" in the forward line from his rucking duties. If not Schulz is in for a tough night.

Butch couldn't make the team even with our outs this week. If he keeps delivering more of the same, I can't see him getting picked for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Power_boy89

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't mind the changes, although thought Clurey would've been given a go. Ken and co must know some things we don't.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Guess they're expecting Hombsch and Jonas to play the "tall" defenders. O'Shea despite his height is definitely not a tall defender. Jonas plays above his size so I don't see that being an issue. As long as the midfield keep Essendon from getting quick entries, we should be fine.

Will be great to have some grunt again with Cassisi and Young back in the side. I felt that Cassisi in particular was missed for the showdown. Plenty of grunt in the middle, and plenty of speed on the outside. Really looking forward to getting this game started.
O'Shea is currently a better tall defender than Clurey and a better all round player. Clurey is developing but still a while away. O'Shea also only needs to take Ambrose. Jonas played on Daniher last time and kept him to 1 goal and Hombsch can take Carlisle.

bcswift

Debutant
Nov 30, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For those that have seen Shaw play, what is it about him that makes him not ready (in the coaches' view)? Physically not ready or are the coaches wary after Butcher played early, only to lose all confidence?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
For those that have seen Shaw play, what is it about him that makes him not ready (in the coaches' view)? Physically not ready or are the coaches wary after Butcher played early, only to lose all confidence?

Lose all confidence? Maybe that would have something to do with getting dropped after an AVERAGE game where he certainly wasn't alone, for Sam Gray to come in and bag 3 against a paper thin Brisbane backline, and be given multiple chances since.

Have you looked at the line ups, they have 2 tall forwards, 2 tall backs and a ruckman. They have gone in small as well. Ambrose is more a mid size and would be taken by O'Shea.

We structurally have no issue with our height V theirs. They will most likely have to do the same as we will and rob their forward of Carlisle for periods and only have 1 tall forward left in exactly the same way we will.

Daniher and Carlisle can both chop out for Ryder, who tends to rest at either end of the ground when not rucking. They have a versatility we lack in that regard.

When Lobbe's off he's off and only Westhoff can back him up, unless we're gonna try some weird experimental thing or flat out concede the taps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Daniher and Carlisle can both chop out for Ryder, who tends to rest at either end of the ground when not rucking. They have a versatility we lack in that regard.

When Lobbe's off he's off and only Westhoff can back him up, unless we're gonna try some weird experimental thing or flat out concede the taps.
So you are saying not having 3 rucks in our side is an issue?

We are both going in with a side that has 2 tall forwards and 1 ruck. With a tall forward needing to help out in ruck.

I dont see the issue. I think people are reacting without actually analysing the match ups. When you look through the squads we have probably made the right call. We will match up pretty well. We could stretch them and go with more height than they have with Butcher but they obviously believe that Mitchell or Young will still contribute more than Butch.

So you are saying not having 3 rucks in our side is an issue?

We are both going in with a side that has 2 tall forwards and 1 ruck. With a tall forward needing to help out in ruck.

I dont see the issue. I think people are reacting without actually analysing the match ups. When you look through the squads we have probably made the right call. We will match up pretty well. We could stretch them and go with more height than they have with Butcher but they obviously believe that Mitchell or Young will still contribute more than Butch.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I can't be bothered going further tbh.

#goport

I think it's because he spent half the season injured and has only played a few games at SANFL level this season.
I reckon they want to see him continue that SANFL form for the rest of the year.

I'd play him at CHF while Hoff rucks. Strong hands, hard runner, can lead up the ground and drop back for the kick over the top.

Yep Young or Ollie for me to play CHF if the Hoff has to go to CHB to look after Daniher.Lobbe might have to play forward if Ryder runs him around and the Hoff has to run with Ryder in the ruck.

The coaches must be hoping for wet and slippery conditions.Not fan of selections. Hoping Dom iisnt 100% right and Clurey gets a late call up.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lose all confidence? Maybe that would have something to do with getting dropped after an AVERAGE game where he certainly wasn't alone, for Sam Gray to come in and bag 3 against a paper thin Brisbane backline, and be given multiple chances since.
I was led to believe that only good form will get you an AFL gig. Sorry Newts, Clurey, Logan and Shaw.

Chill....
Selection seems bit odd to me too but in Ken we trust.
He knows more than me and I'll venture more than anyone else on this board.
Thank you - a voice of reason!!! If we lose by 7 goals, then MAYBE the selectors can be questioned, but let's just see how it plays out on Saturday night. I'm 100% certain that Ken has a plan in place, to enable these 22 players to get the job done. And it's up to we supporters to fill the place, and make Adelaide Oval as hostile as possible for the Bombers who, let's not forget, have never played at the ground before. We've bounced back from our previous 2 losses to record strong wins - I'm backing our boys in to do it again this week.

:oops: I must admit, I probably haven't seen most episodes post 2003. Any time I happen to watch it on TV, it's the same episode I've seen a million times:mad:

How about 1999? ;)

Producer #2: But then we found out that ABC had a similar project in development with Annie Potts and Jeremy Piven.
Homer: Who's Jeremy Piven?
Producer #3: We don't know.

I think Ken has gone with people he knows can get the job done in what is now a crucial game as opposed to entrusting a 2nd gamer and a mixed form Butch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back