Preview Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Lose all confidence? Maybe that would have something to do with getting dropped after an AVERAGE game where he certainly wasn't alone, for Sam Gray to come in and bag 3 against a paper thin Brisbane backline, and be given multiple chances since.
True, it couldn't have helped. But I'm really thinking of his kicking issues - I'm assuming the coaches want him confident and dominating at SANFL level before giving him an extended run at AFL level. I can't think of any other reason given we desperately need another tall.

From the Port Facebook page
BrnCGbeCAAEywuT.jpg

BrnCGbeCAAEywuT.jpg
He is spot on. These are very good selections. They match us up perfectly with the Bombers, the only suprise is not bringing in Butch for Mitchell but I guess we will see how that pans out on Saturday and with the predicted weather it'll probably be spot on.

Why are we gun shy on the third tall up forward?

We know the Butch problem but why cant we just give Mason a shot

It's not even a 'third tall' now with Westhoff needed elsewhere. It's a second tall. We have 1 ruck, 1 KPF, 1 KPD and 1 swingman who will need to pinch hit in all of those positions. That's our entire tall stocks for this game, apart from O'Shea who is a flanker in a tall guy's body.

Imagine if one of them gets injured :eek:

BrnCGbeCAAEywuT.jpg

Yeah but he did that with Carlile and Trengove available to him.

Have you looked at the line ups, they have 2 tall forwards, 2 tall backs and a ruckman. They have gone in small as well. Ambrose is more a mid size and would be taken by O'Shea.

We structurally have no issue with our height V theirs. They will most likely have to do the same as we will and rob their forward of Carlisle for periods and only have 1 tall forward left in exactly the same way we will.

Ahhh, the old let's match their weakness instead of exploiting it theory. Knew it would be on here somewhere. Luckily Ryder wasn't out or we would have had to drop Lobbe.

I am happy enough. Clurey will be a late change if we need him.

I like that we had the balls to go with the short forward line. It might not work but neither will the alternative.
Lel wat.

Ahhh, the old let's match their weakness instead of exploiting it theory. Knew it would be on here somewhere. Luckily Ryder wasn't out or we would have had to drop Lobbe.
Who makes us stronger, Clurey or Mitchell? Mitchell. Butcher or Mitchell? Clearly the coaches decided on Mitchell. Its not just about exploiting them, it's about picking the best side we have available. The bonus is this week our concern was we wouldnt be tall enough so we needed to bring in Clurey/Butcher and OShea, but turns out we actually wont be exploited therefore we can actually pick our strongest possible team without the concern re our height.

We can thank Essendon for not exploiting our height and helping us to field a side that plays to our strengths better given our current key position injury crisis.

FFS these selections will ******* do me.

We were too short at the start of the game last week.

After Trengove went down we were horrendously too short and it cost us the game.

We've now gone in even shorter against a team with a lot of versatile talls who can exploit the s**t out of us.

I might not even pick us. Their loose defender is going to make Hooker's game against us last year look like he was subbed off at half time.

This is absolutely baffling. Unbelievable. What game were the coaches watching last week?

Who makes us stronger, Clurey or Mitchell? Mitchell. Butcher or Mitchell? Clearly the coaches decided on Mitchell. Its not just about exploiting them, it's about picking the best side we have available. The bonus is this week our concern was we wouldnt be tall enough so we needed to bring in Clurey/Butcher and OShea, but turns out we actually wont be exploited therefore we can actually pick our strongest possible team without the concern re our height.

We can thank Essendon for not exploiting our height and helping us to field a side that plays to our strengths better given our current key position injury crisis.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.
Nope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what you did there Kern. Last week we were telling everyone how much we would win by and we lost. This week we are telling everyone how much we will lose by and..........

I trust ya Kenny. Reading this thread would make any neutral observer think we are bottom 4 and a rabble.

Essendons forward line is their weak point. They don't have a single player that's averaging over 1.3 goals a game. They don't have a single player that's kicked over 20 goals so far this year. Its by far their weak point. Daniher is just ok at this stage of his career, Ambrose is probably below average and Carlisle has had a come down worse than anything he would have had in 2012.

Is Hombsch good enough to stand Carlisle or Daniher? Yes. Is Jonas good enough to stand one of them? Probably. Is O'Shea good enough to stand Ambrose? Absolutely. Maybe as supporters we are over thinking it for this week. The downside for me is here is a perfect chance to get some AFL games into Clurey and we aren't doing it this week. But, they are picking a side they think can win.

If they believe that going in short meaning we have more runners to stop their strong point (midfield) then I respect that decision. Goddard, Heppell, Stanton, Howlett, Chapman, Zaharakis concerns me a hell of a lot more than their forward line do.

See, you lost me right there. Is AFL no longer a sport where the ball is contested in the air?

We aren't going in short though. Jonas has thrashed much better forwards than what Essendon will be playing on Saturday night.

There are two silly arguments I'd like to deal with here.

Firstly the "I trust Kern" brigade.

I trust Kern because he's consistently made good decisions about our football side. This selection is a bad decision. He doesn't have a free ride to make bad decisions without being called out on it.

Secondly the "Mitchell offers more than Clurey" argument.

That might be true when we have 4 fit first 22 players who can play KPD (even if Jonas isn't that tall), but it is baffling hogwash when we've got one genuine KPD.

Best 22 isn't about lining up your best players, it's about picking the best 22 to fit your structure.

I like the in's but like a few I'm concerned about our structure. Westhoff will have to be in 3 places at once.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... In Kern we trust!

I am happy enough. Clurey will be a late change if we need him.

I like that we had the balls to go with the short forward line. It might not work but neither will the alternative.
You are a bad bad man sometimes Powerade 08 but i do agree. Coobk001 is making the most sense here me thinks after selection. Watson being out of the middle would have made a difference to our line up as well. Our game plan will be win the ball from the middle and kick on the run from outside 50. We dont have to worry about any one looking after Watson which will certainly free up our run. We will be to slick for the bummers. Good chance to see what we have when missing a few keys. The closer we get to finals, the less the unforced changes will be. Too late for try outs now unless injury forced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back