Rain is falling down on the sidewalk
I won't go until you come outside
Check yes Juliet
Kill the limbo
I'll keep tossing rocks at your window
There's no turning back for us tonight"

...Always thought this line sounded better as:
"I'll keep tossing off outside your window"

I always thought that horrible Parachute soon was 'bad as you' Was singing it at work one day and someone thought it was something else. So we had to google the lyrics. Turns out we were both wrong.

Not so much misheard but I prefer to sing 'This time I'm mistaken,
I'm gonna go have some bacon,' in How You Remind Me by Nickelback rather than 'For handing you a heart worth breakin.' Fits perfectly.

Kind of along a similar line for me is Mumford & Sons song Babel:

'Cause I'll know my weakness, know my voice
And I'll believe in grace and choice
And I know perhaps my heart is farce,
But I'll be born without a .....

The next word is mask but in my head I'm always expecting the guy to sing arse.

From Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop" I used to think "Keep on with the force, don't stop" was "Get on to the post office".

As a kid, I never quite appreciated that lyrics could be in languages other than English, so foreign phrases in songs completely threw me.

* The African chant at the end of Wanna Be Starting Something "Mama Se Mama Sa Mama Coo Sa", I always thought they were singing "On the same, on the side, of the map, who's that?"

* The French line from H&C's Talking To A Stranger "Souvent pour s'amuser les hommes d'equipage" I thought was something like "Here's someone's armies and he sung his goodbyes". None of the other lyrics in that song made sense to me as a kid so that line fit as well as any!

* And I definitely wasn't the only one who thought Kate Bush was singing "She's so funky, yeah!" in Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers.

As a kid, I never quite appreciated that lyrics could be in languages other than English, so foreign phrases in songs completely threw me.

* The African chant at the end of Wanna Be Starting Something "Mama Se Mama Sa Mama Coo Sa", I always thought they were singing "On the same, on the side, of the map, who's that?"

* The French line from H&C's Talking To A Stranger "Souvent pour s'amuser les hommes d'equipage" I thought was something like "Here's someone's armies and he sung his goodbyes". None of the other lyrics in that song made sense to me as a kid so that line fit as well as any!

* And I definitely wasn't the only one who thought Kate Bush was singing "She's so funky, yeah!" in Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers.

How did you go with Ca Plane Pour Moi?

When I was starting high school I used to think The Beach Boys song "Barbara Ann" was about a guy whose surname was Barbaran. I thought he must have been a bit of a party animal who The Beach Boys were saying they wanted to hang around with.

From Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" I used to think the opening line "Chill out, what you yelling' for?" was "Chill out, watching' Eleanor." I thought Eleanor must have been some teen TV show at the time that I was not familiar with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes I'd much rather the misheard lyrics rather than the official lyrics:

The National's "Terrible Love", I always thought the lyrics were "It takes a notion not to break", but later found out "notion" was actually "ocean". "Notion" makes more sense to me.

And Phoenix's "1901", thought it was "falling" instead of "folded". "Folded" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

When The Who begin singing the "You are Forgiven" section of "A Quick One While He's Away" I thought they were singing "chilli, chilli, chilli, chilli..."
It turns out they are singing "cello, cello, cello, cello" because they wanted cellos to be playing at that moment but they couldn't afford to get a group of cello players to come in so they sang the word instead.

I thought Lorde was singing "It's a new iPhone showing people how little we care (yeah)"

I always felt a slight surge of national pride when I heard 'Rivers of Babylon', the Melodians:

"But the wicked carried us away in captivity, required from us a song,
How can we sing King Alpha song in Australia." (in a strange land)

I always felt a slight surge of national pride when I heard 'Rivers of Babylon', the Melodians:

"But the wicked carried us away in captivity, required from us a song,
How can we sing King Alpha song in Australia." (in a strange land)
Same thing isnt it? :p

That old song Twisting The Night Away. Misheard 'he's dancing with the chick in slacks' as 'the chicken slacks'. Assumed it was some kind of 60's slang for a group of mingers or something. Only found out last year when I did a google search.

According to someone a the school bus at the time Roxette sang "Gotta get dressed for some sex". He thought it was a pro-condom statement.
Haha, I used to think that too, though I didn't really know what sex was back then, let alone condoms, so I didn't know what the singer was on about. Just thought it was something filthy.

Heard a little girl singing along to it in the infants too, I was disgusted and couldn't believe the teacher didn't tell her off for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back