Review Port V Melb: Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, thanks MrSpeaker but that's not really the interpretation I'm looking for. Pretty sure for the last 4 or 5 years, if a player is running in to spoil but hasn't got his eyes on the ball, it is a free, regardless if he successfully spoils the ball The 2 derps, Eddie and Dermott both agreed wholeheartedly that it was a legitimate spoil on Wingard and shouldn't have been awarded a free against Watts
I'm not sure that what you're talking about actually exists though. From what I could find in the AFL's Official Laws of the Game, those two rules were the closest.

I'm not sure that what you're talking about actually exists though. From what I could find in the AFL's Official Laws of the Game, those two rules were the closest.

Yes I too couldn't find it, but the umpires and the commentators have both used it as a reference point for frees a hundred times, perhaps it was one of those 'Gieschen interpretations', like the arms bent at 45 degrees etc.

Yes I too couldn't find it, but the umpires and the commentators have both used it as a reference point for frees a hundred times, perhaps it was one of those 'Gieschen interpretations', like the arms bent at 45 degrees etc.
I guess the point would be that the free kick isn't for the player not having his eyes on the ball, it's for making front on contact. I mean, if Watts had gone back without eyes for the ball, successfully spoiled and NOT made front on contact, there wouldn't be a problem.

In my mind, that shows that the free kick isn't paid against the player because they don't have eyes for the ball.

I feel like I watched a different game to you Macca.

I think you in the Podcast picked a 68 pt victory. I went to the footy with my cousin and tipped a 12 goal v 9 goal game. it was close to that. would have been 11 v 10 if Westhoff could kick pressure goals and 12 v 10 if Dom got a decent bounce. So I think our expectations is reflective of how we saw some of our players perform.

Was it me or were all the footy's used today either no blown up enough or defective footies?? I don't recall such bad kicking on such a nice day.

I thought we started ok - then went to sleep like I was at 12.53 and then we woke up and when it was 7.4 to 2.4 I thought we were playing well and were back to playing some decent footy. But we went back to sleep again and gave 2 stupid frees inside our 50 which end up being rebounded for goals. And that last goal they got just on half time was a result of dumb play

Ollie - for me was huge all day except for some of his rocket handballs. His ball and all tackles were critical at times.

Gray - another massive game will get 7 to 10 more votes in the coaches award. Just needs to nail those goals.

Boak - the skipper pushed hard again for all 4 quarters

Pittard - continues to play well and set up play but continues to have bomb scare moments.

O'Shea - did some really nice things and then a couple of bad bits of play where the opposition read what he was going to do.

Lobbe - battled hard against a bigger bodied Jamar. needs to take more marks when he gets his hands on it.

These are the guys that we pretty consistent and good across all 4 quarters. the rest were to in and out of the play and went missing to often. The Hoff did some great work down back tacking some telling marks. but did very little in our forward line where he is supposed to his stuff, after 1/4 time.

We looked physically stuffed at stages in the 3rd and 4th quarter but we continued to battle on. Melbourne have some ok players but being bigger bodied helped them out a fair bit dominate or at least compete with our smaller skilled players. Its why I argued for an Andrew Russell type of fitness head over a Darren Burgess type back in September 2012. When its dry and fast we use our speed and slighter bodies to advantage. But after a long slug our smaller bodies have struggled against other teams who have bigger bodies over the last month.

We obviously miss Jacko and Bobby's size and experience but we are too bloody short all over.

Our backline is so bloody young and inexperienced we are going to struggle until Jacko and Bobby get back or they move Hoff and maybe Hartlett to play in the back line

Look at our current core backline players - age according to http://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/padelaide.html
Jonas .. - 48 games 23 years and 193 days
Hombsch - 31 games 21 years and 136 days
Pittard - 48 games 23 years 111 days
Impey... - 16 games 19 years and 11 days
Broadbent - 96 games 23 years and 353 days

We need a good rest. Lucky for us the stupid AFL scheduling has us playing Collingwood next who had a rest this week but play next week.

If Burgo isn't flogging the players to ready then for September then they need to be managed pretty closely for some of the guys to get thru the rest of the season. Case in point is Ebert. He works his arse off to get to the ball but is usually completely fatigue and stuffs up his kicks.

It has also been used as an interpretation by the MRP. I find it very cloudy trying to find current 'official' rules to our game, going by the way it is officiated currently

It has also been used as an interpretation by the MRP. I find it very cloudy trying to find current 'official' rules to our game, going by the way it is officiated currently
The umpires have no idea when it comes to players snapping from a mark in the pocket. Really poorly policed rule, often ends up with a player not actually on the mark on the kicker's boot before he's dropped it.

I guess the point would be that the free kick isn't for the player not having his eyes on the ball, it's for making front on contact. I mean, if Watts had gone back without eyes for the ball, successfully spoiled and NOT made front on contact, there wouldn't be a problem.

In my mind, that shows that the free kick isn't paid against the player because they don't have eyes for the ball.

Yes, there is that, but because the spoil was successful the argument made by our enemies is that the contact is deemed void...much like in a marking contest where a successful mark is paid even though the 'stepladders' back is pushed into extreme angles, but how many times is a player pinged for running back with no eyes for the ball...like in this case?

I think we played like a team desperate for the bye. Tired and just wanting to get out of the game with four points. Sadly a missed opportunity for a handy percentage boost but all of the top teams have had games like that and the positive is we learnt how to grind out a game.

That being said what killed us today was our disposal. There is no point in lacing out the dirt 5m from Schultz - he is good but can't do everything. Likewise sitting the footy on Chad's head is asking for it to be spoiled.

For mine, O'Shea and Pittard were solid. Yes there were some clangers but I think they are amplified when the midfield don't show up. Impey likewise was fine.

Our defence is actually really solid but you will concede goals if there is no up field pressure. Add in the inexperience and lack of height/size and they are still right up there.

Before a third/second tall, Trengrove back or a change to the game plan, we need our confidence back. That trust in the skills of your team mates, the recognition of their hard work and the belief that got us over the line in the past.

We have, historically, been poor post bye, I hope that changes.

Yes, there is that, but because the spoil was successful the argument made by our enemies is that the contact is deemed void...much like in a marking contest where a successful mark is paid even though the 'stepladders' back is pushed into extreme angles, but how many times is a player pinged for running back with no eyes for the ball...like in this case?
15.4.3 Permitted Contact
Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5, a Player may make contact with another Player:

(e) if such contact is incidental to a marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

No such rule exists for an attempted spoil, though.

Well its a relief to get the 4 points but man that was absolute pants.

It was like walking into a time warp back to latter day Choco era football today. Play short solely down the wings. Direct all our kicks inside 50 as deep as wide as humanly possible without the ball going on the full and relying on the ball up/throw in to win the ball inside 50 and score. It was ugly ugly ugly. There was no redeeming feature about that win at all except for the fact we won the 4 points. I'll say it now, we didnt deserve to win that game at all.

So many things wrong:

* Our skill level for the last 6 weeks has been poor but today took the cake. You'd think they were playing with a half inflated balloon the way we kicked the footy today. Turnover after turnover, tumble punts galore. It was like stepping back into time to the 1950s where mongrel punts were par for the course. Our handball skills werent much better.

* We seem to be stuck in this style where the way we play is determined by how good our opponent is. We play a top 4 team? We come to play with blistering football. We play a bottom 4 team? We look like a bottom 4 team ourselves. You could tell we werent switched on in the first 5 minutes. There must have been 10 mistakes in the first 5 minutes of the game - from Wines missing a target by 10 metres with the first kick of the game, to dropped marks, overrunning the footy, handballing to opponents. The scene was set early and apart from a 10 minute period in the second quarter we followed that path for the game. Especially the second half. That would be the worst half of footy i've seen us play live. Worse than the Collingwood 2011 match.

* Why the change in game plan? As I said in the preamble, we've gone from playing fast, direct, exciting football to endless switches across half back, playin wide and doing nothing but kick to noone in the forward pocket. Our entire system of play has changed. Not just today, but its been noticeable the last month.

* A number of key players down once again. I dont think Ebert hit a target by foot all day. Literally. Wines wasnt much better. Polec hasnt been the same since he did his ankle. Hartlett ditto. The only decent part of Lobbe's game in the last month has ben his tackling, and for a ruckman that is not a good thing to say at all.

* Outside of Boak, we've got noone in the midfield that can stand up and win a crucial clearance when we need it. Its the same story as last year. As soon as the opposition get a sniff then bang, 5 clearances to 0 in 2-3 minutes. Time after time they streamed forward from the stoppages. Time after time we fart arse around handballing to each other like a pre-game drill until we turn it over.

* A lot of people have remarked over the last month "we need a 3rd tall forward". To that I retort "we need a forward line full stop". People might blame Roos footy for how the game panned out but they'd be wrong. They werent flooding back all that often and literally the only time they were having people back is when we decided to play a 0, 1 or 2 man forward line, which we did a lot. Honestly, our forward structure stinks and it has nothing to do with how many talls we have. We were playing an 8 man defence at times with our misplaced desire to always have a free man back there. So who do we then kick to? For almost all the second half we were playing a 2 man forward line. We need to throw players around the ball because of our midfeilders inability to win the contest every week. When we do actually win it, we are forced to blind kick often to nothing or at best, a 1 on 3 contest. We are playin false economy football at the moment.

The break couldnt come soon enough. Everyone needs a few days off to refresh the batteries, to think about what we want to achieve this year and how we are going to achieve it. We have the players, we have the gameplan, we have the coaching to get success this year, but we need to believe that it is possible. We definitely wont get any success trying to play the style of footy we've attempted in the last month. Go back to basics people. Believe in yourselves.

Player Reviews:
Wines - His opening disposal summed up the game for me. Wasteful. Had a very poor first half, simply because every time he got the ball he burned it badly. Kicks over players heads, handballs chopped off. It wasnt pretty. To his credit, he worked hard in the second half and came good with a more than decent half of footy that helped us win the game. I think sometimes he doesnt realise he has more time than he has. Needs to settle down before disposing of it. At his best he's as good a disposer of the ball than any, but when he's not on, he cant hit even the most basic of targets.

OShea - My best on ground today. Thought he had a fantastic day across half back - not without error for sure - but he was one of the only players to break the lines and play down the corridor today, and for that he gets my BOG. Did a good job on Pedersen who hurt us last time. Was right on his hammer all day and was able to find plenty of space to try and create. Not without error as I said, that chopped off handball that led to Melbourne hitting the fron was farcical, but it was the only bad error in what was a very good game. Well done Cam, its great to have him back in the side playing great footy.

Cornes - An interesting battle with Vince. Ithink in the end they broke even. Cornes was pretty good with the ball and whilst he was able to limit the amount of ball that Vince had, I thought Vince was very good when he had it.

Westhoff - Great start, thought you beauty, Hoff has come to play finally. Then barely got a kick in the last 3 quarters. Ran around out of position doing not much for the middle 2 quarters. Another pressure kick, another farcical result. Its now gone beyond a joke and could have easily cost us the game. But then he takes the game saving mark in the last 30 seconds. Overall, just ok.

Ebert - I've said it about 4 times in the last 6 weeks but that was by far the worst game i've seen him play. NO issues at all with how he won the football, the tackles he laid, the blocks etc. He did a lot of the typical Ebo stuff that we love. And then theres the skills. I honestly dont think he hit a target all day. It was the worst kicking display i've seen from him, or any senior player all year. Hopefully he can refresh over the break and come back as the game changing mid we know and love.

Gray - Very good once again. His consistency is amazing. Made one poor choice late in the last quarter but outside of that he was able to consistently win the ball in close and was able to find space to use it well again. Wouldnt surprise me if he got the 10 coaches votes again. One of our only mids to win the hard ball all day.

Lobbe - When the best thing I can compliment Lobbe on over the last month is his tackling then you know there are issues. Once again I thought he was unable to find our mids with the ball with his hitout. Was well beaten again by a stronger ruckman. Badly out of form.

Pittard - His consistency has been great over the last 6 weeks and I thought today was another good to very good day for Jasper. Like Cam, he was one of the only players that was willin to try and take the game on and go down the corridor when he got the ball. Ball usage was fine. Defensively was fine. Was a good game.

Boak - Had a great first half where I thouht he was best on by a long way, but did fall out of the game in the second half with tighter play from his opponents. Despite that, he was still in our best players. His work in tight was great and useful which set him aside from some of our other mids.

Hartlett - Not his best game. Clearly hampered by his ankle still. Was limping most of the game and has lost a yard of pace and has literally no side step any more. Skills are down. Will no doubt be happy for the break.

Young - Kept thinking every time he got the ball 'hmm, havent seen Youngy much today' but ended up saying it 20 times and when you put the pieces together he had not only a good game but was one of our best players as well. Was our only player who could effectivel tackle and lock the arms today. Did some nice work in close and kicked a great pressure goal in the last quarter. Just needs to find more of it.

Wingard - Thouht he was really good at times in the first half then went completely out of the game again. Another that seems hampered by injury.

Cassisi - Love ya Dom. So happy we got the win for you. You deserve it. Had a very good first three quarters I thought, was defensively very good with a number of Dom contested ball wins that I will miss greatly. His last quarter wasn't great but doesnt matter. A good way to go out. Thanks for the memories Dom!

Schulz - Being outcoached by his own coach unfortunately. Caught in out numbered contests because he's the only player forward of centre for half the game. Unable to play effectively because he's nowhere near goal for half the game. Was never in doubt that he would slot the winner.

Broadbent - Defensively had a good battle playing on taller opponents in Watts and Pedersen. Did a pretty fine job in limiting their work inside the forward 50. Thought his run was nowhere to be seen though. Bit of a tighter role.

Stewart - This is the problem with Stewy. Had a good first quarter and a half, kicked a couple of goals and looked really good as that lead up forward. Did he get a touch in the last 75 minutes of the game? Honestly cannot remember him going near the ball in the second half at all. Given a chance, has he done enough to stay in the side? I dont think he has.

Jonas - Neither here nor there really. Had the job on Frawley and was good at times, gave him too much space at others. Ordinary with the ball. Was able to keep Frawley out of scorin range for the most part.

Hombsch - His match up on Dawes was one I was worried about as Dawes is bigger and a lot stronger than Hombsch, but I thouht Hombsch played a perfect defensive game on Dawes. Gave him no space to work inside 50, was able to run off him numerous times and either kill a contest or run off with the ball. High in our best players. Fast becomin gone of my very favourite players.

Newton - Thought he had a good cameo in the last quarter when he came on. Won a couple of crucial contets and laid some nice tackles. Had a hand in our match winner. Really needed him playing a full game today in retrospect.

Impey - Has gone from being so sure with the ball to having me close my eyes when he gets it. I'll give him credit in that he tries his heart out every week, defensively still very good one on one. But jeez its a lottery when he gets the ball at the moment. Turning it over with increasing regularity more with decision making than poor skills. Thouht his lack of peripheral vision in that play in the last quarter wasnt pretty, but good on him for taking the game on and trying to get it forward quickly.

White - His worst game to date. Dropped the ball, dropped marks, fumbled and then was subbed off.

Polec - Nowhere near the player he was pre-injury. Wasnt even tagged, just didnt get near it.

POTY Votes:
7 - O'Shea, Hombsch, Gray
6 - Boak, Young
5 - Cornes, Pittard, Cassisi
4 - Westhoff, Jonas, Wines, Schulz, Broadbent
3 - Newton
2 - Lobbe, Wingard, Stewart
1 - Hartlett, Impey
0 - Ebert, White, Polec

Disagree with so much . Robbie Gray is bout best clearance player by a mile. Lobbe bathed Jamar until 5 mins b4 half time. Westhoff our best player. Stopped reading after that
Di

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15.4.3 Permitted Contact
Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5, a Player may make contact with another Player:

(e) if such contact is incidental to a marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

No such rule exists for an attempted spoil, though.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...s-west-coast-eagles-by-14-points-in-a/5400252

Remember?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...s-west-coast-eagles-by-14-points-in-a/5400252

Umpires should be full time.

Scoreboard flattered the Demons.

The team, especially Brad Ebert, need a rest.

I am glad some Port Adelaide supporters are not coaches.

Whoever plays the better game out of Butcher and Shaw in the SANFL Showdown should play against Collingwood.

Westhoff looks so much better as a floating halfback then forward (bringing in a KPF would be nice Ken!)

NTUA gets better and better every week and its only a matter of time until the Crows start singing something ("We are plastic" by Lady Gaga would be apt).

I thought today would be our smallest crowd of the year. If our bottom is about 33-38 and we sort out our stadium deal money shouldn't be an issue ever again.

I think today's result was the best possible. By not getting the required percentage to take 4th it shows the boys they cannot rely on the others to fall over.

Bring on the Colliwobbles. (* I want the PB's for Carlton)

Ken needs to go away and find what made him a good coach coz his lack of courage in the last 5 weeks is killing us. That was pathetic today
I disagree I think he is doing everything he can and the squad is just not performing his orders as well as they were.

The only thing I disagree with what Kenny has done over the past month or so is,
1- constantly playing Sam gray and Kane Mitchell
2- the players he chooses for sub most weeks
3- not playing Shaw (I agree with him that butcher needs to earn his spot, but Shaw has earnt his spot but Kenny just say he isn't ready)

It's not his lack of courage, it's the squads lack of courage that is killing us

I am glad some Port Adelaide supporters are not coaches.

Then again, Ken hasn't / can't been open about his objectives for this season.

Does he want to go for the flag? Does he want to play a prelim? Does he want to set up a 5 year dynasty?

He can't say so he won't. We are left to wonder what they are up to.

Anyone who thought the Watts contest wasn't a free kick to Wingard obviously hasn't taken any notice of the way the game has been umpired for the last ten years. As soon as you make front-on contact with a player it's a free kick. That's just the way the game is umpired. Like it or loathe it. On top of that it looked on the replay as if Watts collected Wingard high on the way through.

Yet we have Mr. Porter in The Age suggesting Demons fans should feel hard done by:

The defining moment came seconds before the three-quarter-time siren when replays clearly showed Jack Watts had punched the ball first in a marking contest with Port’s Chad Wingard, but was penalised for high contact. Wingard was given a free and gifted a goal after the siren, giving Port a two-point lead.

Melbourne coach Paul Roos diplomatically suggested there were errors by his players that were also costly, but nothing will change the opinions of Demon fans that they were robbed.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ma...fl-thriller-20140720-zv14p.html#ixzz381A5MMZO

Is he for real?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back