Review Port V Melb: Review

Remove this Banner Ad

flat wobbly kicks today
air pressure of ball anyone
just say'in
it was more than weird

Agreed, I watched the first half again last night, and without the emotion of watching it live I saw numerous things I had missed previously.

The game obviously wasn't of a particularly high standard, but there were very few easy kicks to either team, the umps let the game go most of the time, and that is what often happens in finals, which are often ugly games played at close quarters as per yesterday's last man standing slogfest.

Most AFL footballers, whether they play for a top team or not, should be able to, and and usually do, find a team mate who is open, but the number of misdirected kicks yesterday ( from both teams ) reminded me of S.A. v W.A. in the 70's and 80's when our blokes couldn't come to grips with the Burley football, because according to knuckles Kerley it was fatter and softer, and spun through the air differently to the Ross Faulkner footys S.A. used at the time.

I missed it live, but when Herb's nephew had virtually the whole of the outer side wing/half forward to himself when he was running hard and bouncing the ball on what appeared to be a billiard table surface, it was coming back to him like it was a `lead' zeppelin, and to me there didn't appear to be much, if anything wrong with his technique, because he was pushing the ball hard into the ground, and far enough in front of him to collect it at full pace.

I remember Jay Schulz's comment when interviewed after the game, when he was asked if the footys were flat, and he made an off the cuff remark about them being pear shaped, maybe he was in part being serious.

Yeah that was ridiculous.

On a tangent, the HTB umpiring interpretation is ruining the game. I can sort of understand what they're paying but if a player is caught in a tackle and all he does is drop the ball on the ground it should be a free kick.
That 3rd qtr Zakk Wylde talked about was ridiculous & looked even worse after I watched the replay, amazingly the commentators keep dwelling on the Watts hit on Wingard but overlook some pretty blatant dropping the ball calls that set up multiple scoring shots for them.

There was a whole quarter worth of play where they actually lead with 6 minutes to go so how does that one instance affect the outcome? Tapscott was gifted the first goal after being pushed by his own man going by media logic that almost cost us the game...

This from Harry Thring...

Melbourne would have entered the final break in front had it not been for a contentious umpiring decision gifting Chad Wingard a late goal.

Mr Ding appears to be saying that the umps cost Melbourne the game. A pity he didn't look at acouple of other incidents earlier in the game particularly one involving Bernie Vince.

I have had a look at that decision several times and as magpower83 says it definitely was worth a free kick. Wingard is hit high and Watts is not making any attempt at a spoil despite what he says to the ump.
Disappointed in that article from Harry, he's normally better than following the media sheep opinion when he reports on us but seems like everyone has forgot the rules overnight whilst overlooking the fact the Dees hit the front in the final qtr.

No wonder Dees fans think they were robbed, when every media nuff nuff has a cry wanting to see a battler upset a contender they'll try anything to make it seem like they're right even though by the letter of the law that was a free kick any day of the week.

That was probably one of the most excrutiating games of footy i've ever watched. I was absolutely pumped to get the win in the end but it was a shocking win. Not sure what has happened to this team over the last month. A completely different side to the one of 6 weeks ago that was 10 and 1.

Not a fan of excuses like we are tired, we are in a heavy training phase, players carrying injuries, lack of talls, etc. It's no different to any other team, they all face similar challenges. I just hope we can respond after the break. Remembering back to last year we were in a similar form slump although earlier in the season when we lost 5 in a row which concluded with a loss to the struggling doggies before a week off and then we came out after the break a new side. That can happen again. Good teams don't let these sorts of form slumps drag on too long.

On a positive we managed to grind out a win yesterday and get the much needed 4 points. This was our 4th game decided by 7 or under points and it was the first time we've managed to get the win, i don't buy that we were lucky to get away with the win because i think we were due to win a real nailbiter. One thing good sides do when they aren't having a great day is they still find a way to win, we haven't been able to do that over the last month but we did yesterday so we happily take the 4 points and begin our homework on collingwood.

and seriously melbourne fans whinging about the umpiring?? what game were they watching?

Last edited:
Haven't seen any games for a few weeks while away in Europe, and was looking forward to being at yesterday's game. As with others I was thinking we had regressed to two years ago, and left in a sour mood.

I have wondered why the poor form.

Can't play wet-weather football?

Not brave any more?

Other teams have worked us out?

Heavy training in preparation for finals? (I hope)

Didn't see much dare yesterday, and when it did occur it was let down by poor skills.

Let us hope that Ken and Darren know what they are doing, because the needed top-two position is looking most unlikely.

Edit: PS Thanks and best wishes for the future Dom. It is the right time to go, judging by your inability to make a decision and loss of run, but you hung in there strong during the tough times.

does anyone else think that we actually play much better against the better sides and that our tough run home could actually be a blessing?

Sounds like I picked the right time to go away for a weekend to Middleton.
Caught the last quarter on ABC radio. Hard to gauge the quality of the game from that though.

My review:
1. We won, they didn't.

Massive result in the end to play so terribly but steal the points. Time for everyone to go away, refresh and come back and have a decent crack at causing some damage in the pointy end of the season.. I think the coaches need a bit of time to review their plans as well. We have made some adjustments that are not working. Time to shift back.

I can't understand why everyone is up in arms about the Wingard free? Watts wasn't watching the ball and smashed Wingard in the head. Irrelevant if he got the ball as well.

Very surprised at the hit out stats (particularly to advantage).

Hit outs (to advantage%)
PA - 51 (33%)
Lobbe - 35 (40%)
Westhoff - 4 (25%)

MELB - 58 (21%)
Jamar - 47 (21%)
Pedersen - 10 (20%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That umpiring decision was only 'contentious' because all the Demons players milled around arguing and because the siren went. They didnt need to run back in to any positions so they could all afford to set on the umpire. Forearm to head, front on..free kick every day of the week.
There should have been a 50m penalty on top. They had about 4 blokes standing the mark for ages...

It could have been a three goal win if not for the bounce of the ball. Dom Cassisi from 50m bouncing on the goal line, Melbourne pot shot goal during a tackle from the pocket was crazy and Westhoff's piece of ****.

I've been really surprised at the sentiment after that win. Sounds like I was the only one who was genuinely stoked we got over the line. Was a massive buzz to walk out of the ground back on the winners list. Can't understand why we aren't speaking about Schulz' clutch kick or our improved tackle count.

So much to work on but there were some positives as well. Good teams play terribly but still find a way to win. That's what we did.

Yeah it still feels like a monday morning after a loss tbh.
I think one thing Ken needs to focus on is the HTB interpretation and how we are going to play to it. Due to our hard running and fast ball movement style of play, any time we are tackled, we try to get rid of it so that we can keep the ball moving and not get caught HTB.

However the umps seem to be more focussed on players who drop the ball too easily, rather than those that hold it in. I reckon Roos has his group playing to this, as there were several times in the game where the Melbourne player got tackled and simply drew the ball in under them rather than trying to get rid of it. A few of the times the ump even waited a considerable amount of time, then called a dead ball rather than HTB. I think this gave Melbourne a massive advantage in handling the ball, because even though our tackle intensity was huge, they rarely got caught HTB, when on many occasions they should have.

We seem to have totally lost our play on at all costs...our flair...our thing that made us better than other teams

In fact from the Crows game on wards it seems as if every other team is trying to copy our style of spreading and playing on fast (more so than being"found out" and neutralized)

How do we get it back?

are we under instruction whilst we have a deplete defence to play a different way?

Is it because of our deplete defence that we end up playing like this ? hmm no we aren't even winning the ball FFs

One time 4 of our defenders couldn't stop the melbourne player from getting the ball and kicking on

We got beaten one on one over the whole field and to me this was more important than a third tall (still want Jake carlile to move over to us in the future

We seem to have totally lost our play on at all costs...our flair...our thing that made us better than other teams

In fact from the Crows game on wards it seems as if every other team is trying to copy our style of spreading and playing on fast (more so than being"found out" and neutralized)

How do we get it back?

are we under instruction whilst we have a deplete defence to play a different way?

Is it because of our deplete defence that we end up playing like this ? hmm no we aren't even winning the ball FFs

One time 4 of our defenders couldn't stop the melbourne player from getting the ball and kicking on

We got beaten one on one over the whole field and to me this was more important than a third tall (still want Jake carlile to move over to us in the future
PS our tackles were not sticking either

The Vince incident you refer to wouldn't be the hand on throat incident involving Kane would it? Can't believe there was no free paid there (even if contact was not as forceful as Kane made it out to be it was still high) and then they pay 50 metres against Robbie for swatting a fly off Nathan Jones' gut.

If my memory serves me well that led to a goal and momentum to Melbourne heading into half time.

Got it in one GR, it would be that incident. Vince made deliberate high contact and that should have clearly been a free to Kane. Instead of Port shooting at goal Melbourne scored a goal. The crowd around me was incensed and let Vince have it for the rest of the second quarter. That and the Robbie Gray incident all happened amid a string of five frees to Melbourne and it swung the game.

Hamish Hartlett has been quiet for a while now. Would telling Hamish to be a bit more selfish be good advice?

I know where you are coming from HB but telling Hamish to be a bit less selfish would also help. A couple of times yesterday he called for the ball and was caught with it.

To be honest Hamish Hartlett is one player who concerns me a bit. He has oodles of talent and is important to us because has the potential to be a match winner but all too often he produces an error ridden effort like yesterday's. He now has enough games under the belt to be a leader but he does not set a consistent example for less experienced players. There has been plenty of criticism of Brad Ebert but over the season I would say Brad has been far better value than Hamish.

I know where you are coming from HB but telling Hamish to be a bit less selfish would also help. A couple of times yesterday he called for the ball and was caught with it.

To be honest Hamish Hartlett is one player who concerns me a bit. He has oodles of talent and is important to us because has the potential to be a match winner but all too often he produces an error ridden effort like yesterday's. He now has enough games under the belt to be a leader but he does not set a consistent example for less experienced players. There has been plenty of criticism of Brad Ebert but over the season I would say Brad has been far better value than Hamish.

Hartlett I think is playing the most injured out of the players on our list. I know the old adage that once you cross the line, you're 100% fit, but he hasn't been poor enough to be concerned about maybe dropping him for another player. It wouldn't surprise me to hear he's gone in for surgery after the season is finished.

Brad has been a lot better than Hartlett as a whole this season but its clear Hamish is hampered by his foot. Not running hard enough and has no evasive ability any more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back