The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding Waylon, did I see correct that is flashed up on the screen that he was a "top 5 draft prospect 2011"? Draft watchers, how much truth is in that and how much is it the producers putting a bit of mayo on the story?

A potential draftee, I can accept, but potential top 5 pick seem to be pushing the narrative a touch.

Did anyone else feel like the captain got a tap on the shoulder by the producers to use his captains call?

I mean no way they were getting rid of the volleyballer or Waylon and DJ was no where near the worst prospect on the show.

your not saying that the show could be scripted or influenced so that the producers get to keep who will rate are you??o_O

Yeah, you're spot on. I've played with a whole bunch of indigenous guys before and all have been very different, however as you have said they have a much different back ground and it's something that on a broader scale needs to be acknowledged. However the aim of this show is to find someone who has the desire and skill set to and determination to win a show that will enable them a chance to sign an AFL contract, Waylan was a poor choice from the get go and the show would have very well known the issues they would face when selecting the cast. I think it's the producers fault in the first place, the guy has been publicly chastised and criticised from a bunch men he barely knows, it's a poor situation to put him in to begin with.

Sorry but the aim of the show will to be to get an audience and rate. To do so the producers want conflict to create drama. Cultural conflict will suit their agenda and add to the win a contract conflict. Just see the discussion on here! Waylan is a great choice from that point of view. NB I'm cynical and when it comes to reality TV my cynicism hits another level but hey I'm watching.

Last edited:
Reality TV hits the AFL.

AFL has changed their constitution to allow a reality show winner to win a spot on an AFL list.
Love Vossy and Dicko and the other folk doing this show.
Just watched Waylon destroyed and have decided that the cruelty is bad enough inside the inner sanctum of a football club.
This young man has been annihilated on national TV , THIS IS NOT HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.
The young fellows passing judgement on the peers may be something that happens in real heart to heart sessions in a football club, but not on television.

It is why I never watch the cooking competitions because they lose the cooking and it becomes a battle and some people are hurt. I don't get entertained by this type of thing.

My curiosity for this Recruit program was that I thought we would see the way recruiting and training and development goes for young men wanting to play the hardest game on the earth at the top level.
I did not expect the delisting stuff. If I was Waylons Mum or Dad that would have devastated me , this we all know happens in clubs but it is not published and spread all over TV.

I'm afraid , unless something else takes place behind the scenes that the young fellow Waylon will have lost his way he was not over confidant anyway.

Sometimes these guys take a long time , and their layback manner can sometimes hide a champion, Waylon because of this show probably feels worse than he ever has in a life that probably isn;t easy.

I think the recruit should be stopped, I think Vossy even had that look in his eye that he just killed someone's hope , for maybe anything.

To have young men just past teenhood delivering a critique on there also very young peers is very naive by the people directing this.

I didn't watch this to see someone destroyed , I watched it to see how new players are taught and trained to play better football.

The inner sanctum stuff is for teams when the real thing is on. Folks at Fox you forgot the football.

Just watched Waylon destroyed and have decided that the cruelty is bad enough inside the inner sanctum of a football club.
This young man has been annihilated on national TV , THIS IS NOT HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.
The young fellows passing judgement on the peers may be something that happens in real heart to heart sessions in a football club, but not on television.

It is why I never watch the cooking competitions because they lose the cooking and it becomes a battle and some people are hurt. I don't get entertained by this type of thing.

My curiosity for this Recruit program was that I thought we would see the way recruiting and training and development goes for young men wanting to play the hardest game on the earth at the top level.
I did not expect the delisting stuff. If I was Waylons Mum or Dad that would have devastated me , this we all know happens in clubs but it is not published and spread all over TV.

I'm afraid , unless something else takes place behind the scenes that the young fellow Waylon will have lost his way he was not over confidant anyway.

Sometimes these guys take a long time , and their layback manner can sometimes hide a champion, Waylon because of this show probably feels worse than he ever has in a life that probably isn;t easy.

I think the recruit should be stopped, I think Vossy even had that look in his eye that he just killed someone's hope , for maybe anything.

To have young men just past teenhood delivering a critique on there also very young peers is very naive by the people directing this.

I didn't watch this to see someone destroyed , I watched it to see how new players are taught and trained to play better football.

The inner sanctum stuff is for teams when the real thing is on. Folks at Fox you forgot the football.

Here we go......zzzzz.......

You need to have confidence in the bloke next to you when playing footy, you need to have the expectation that he will give as much as you no matter how tough the situation, unfortunately it's plainly obvious Waylan by his own admission gives up when things get tough. He is lazy, selfish and mentally fragile, he shows little enthusiasm to improve other than just finishing each challenge ( even though he is last in just about everyone of them). The guy can have all the talent in the world but he would be the LAST person anyone would want to play with if you hold true to team ethos.

So we keep Waylan for what reason?

That's super simplistic though, there are a number of skills required to make it at AFL level. You may appreciate a guy for his determination but if that player cant hit the side of a barn are you going to want him with the ball? Id also say you are being far too critical of him I have not seen anything to show he is selfish or lazy? Fragile I can give you, lack of enthusiasm also but I think you are inferring the other traits.

I think when you look at that blonde haired kid who got injured, his opinion of himself (apparently the reason he was not drafted) is obviously the polar opposite of Waylans. If he can be taught humility maybe Waylan can be taught confidence? and with that maybe the work ethic to make it...

Last edited:

Brilliant post mate, spot on. Reality TV I suppose is somewhat trying to replicate the realities of a professional environment and those peer review/honesty sessions are common place. I agree though, they have veered away from what would actually make the show brilliant! I personally love to see how hard they work, their testing results and the ups and downs they face as it's something I can connect to. More of the footy and less of bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy they eventually cut was the right one to go. You can't play AFL if you can't kick.

Waylon should probably be next. I have a lot of sympathy for kids in his situation, but in his case the cultural differences are no excuse for pure laziness and he doesn't appear keen to correct it. You'd think that's where the psychologist would come in, but she has so far shown zero reason to be on the show.

That's super simplistic though, there are a number of skills required to make it at AFL level. You may appreciate a guy for his determination but if that player cant hit the side of a barn are you going to want him with the ball? Id also say you are being far too critical of him I have not seen anything to show he is selfish or lazy? Fragile I can give you, lack of enthusiasm also but I think you are inferring the other traits.

I think when you look at that blonde haired kid who got injured, his opinion of himself (apparently the reason he was not drafted) is obviously the polar opposite of Waylans. If he can be taught humility maybe Waylan can be taught confidence? and with that maybe the work ethic to make it...

It may be simplistic to some but what we are looking for as stated by the show is ' someone who come in straight away and play at the level'. DJ's over confidence doesn't effect the ability of him to run to the required contests, to hit targets, to want to tackle, to want to block, to want to be part of the team. Unfortunately Waylon is in a position he should never be in, he clearly does not have the work ethich, mental aptitude or mindset to play at the next level, further to that he can't run, carries to much fat ( like Smithy ) and is openly ok with giving up when things get to hard. This guy is not a suitable applicant for the show FULL STOP.

I really hope that the crap his copped on a national show doesn't effect him long term, I also hope that the recruit team are looking after his welfare behind the scenes.

The guy they eventually cut was the right one to go. You can't play AFL if you can't kick.

Waylon should probably be next. I have a lot of sympathy for kids in his situation, but in his case the cultural differences are no excuse for pure laziness and he doesn't appear keen to correct it. You'd think that's where the psychologist would come in, but she has so far shown zero reason to be on the show.
Is Waylon still playing in the VFA, I am sure I heard his name mentioned kicking 6 last weekend??

Is Waylon still playing in the VFA, I am sure I heard his name mentioned kicking 6 last weekend??
I don't know. There is no doubt he has skill, but that's not enough to play AFL.

who did they cut?

Heard from someone on the show that the majority of players who lasted past the first few delistings picked up niggling injuries like muscle strains and stress fractures, due to the intense workload loaded onto them by Voss and Burgess.

It may be simplistic to some but what we are looking for as stated by the show is ' someone who come in straight away and play at the level'

Maybe what I want the show to be is not what it actually is. I want to see these kids with there deficiencies over come them with specific training and grow into players that can be drafted. You are probably right though in that the show is (or is becoming) a drama where the blokes are not really being helped to learn the things they need.

Jumping out of a helicopter and rowing a boat for instance doesn't show the volley ball player how to kick. Hopefully it gets better.

Played against Semmel at under 19 level while he was at Hampton Park in the VAFA. We beat them in the Prelim final to play Ormond in the GF but even as a 16 yr old playing U19s he was still a cut above the rest! All the best to him!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back