WAFL Grounds

Is the dugout a WA thing? Or a Perth thing?

I'd say mainly a Perth thing. I have only watched WAFL from Freo Oval, East Freo Oval, Rushton Park, Medibank Stadium and Steel Blue Oval and none of them have dugouts.

budge27

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Redskins, Northwestern, Dodgers
I did do a stack of photos (Leederville) on my camera phone a few months ago, but have had major hassles getting at them, decided to do Leederville Oval again today.

Past home to West Perth, now ironically home to arch enemy East Perth and also Subiaco.

Main grandstand, Subi stand on right, East Perth stand on left ( as above )

Southern end goals and WA department of Sport.

A couple of East perth memorabilia items.

East Perth gym

BykB3I3.jpg
Check out the premiership years on that sign - Premiers in 156 - wtf!!!!!!!!!!
Who the hell was playing in that team ???

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I've realized the past few years that Freo Oval is traditional and much loved and all that but a s**t place to watch Footy. If you want a drink you have to stay in the clubrooms so you can hardly see anything. The limestone on the other side offers no protection too. The Freo Workers Club is moving in to the clubrooms in the next few months as they're selling they're old building to that might jazz things up a bit. Both the FWC and the Bulldogs need something.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
East Fremantle Oval's called Atom Stadium now, which whatever, these teams have to be funded somehow... what annoys me is why they didn't go with Atom Oval? It sounds so much better. Are companies embarrassed with 'oval' or 'park' these days? When was the last time naming rights didn't end in the stadium suffix?

DardySingh360

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I was down at Claremont Showgrounds earlier today for another event, and happened to walk past the oval. The surface is looking a bit sad, big bare patches of mud all the way down the middle of the ground.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I've realized the past few years that Freo Oval is traditional and much loved and all that but a s**t place to watch Footy. If you want a drink you have to stay in the clubrooms so you can hardly see anything. The limestone on the other side offers no protection too. The Freo Workers Club is moving in to the clubrooms in the next few months as they're selling they're old building to that might jazz things up a bit. Both the FWC and the Bulldogs need something.

I've heard East Fremantle might play it's home games there shortly, which IMO is a great idea. But you're spot on about the ground. The stands are miles away from the ground and the concrete is an awful place to sit and watch. If they want to play a game a week there they desperately need better spectator facilities. Ideally the SFFC members stand should be demolished and replaced by a decent stand with facilities that can be shared by both clubs on match day.

But all that costs money, and getting developments through Fremantle council is like trying to get a butter knife through concrete.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I've heard East Fremantle might play it's home games there shortly, which IMO is a great idea. But you're spot on about the ground. The stands are miles away from the ground and the concrete is an awful place to sit and watch. If they want to play a game a week there they desperately need better spectator facilities. Ideally the SFFC members stand should be demolished and replaced by a decent stand with facilities that can be shared by both clubs on match day.

But all that costs money, and getting developments through Fremantle council is like trying to get a butter knife through concrete.

If they tell the hippy mayor they'll have a organic garden out back or something it might get through. East Fremantle Oval won't be redeveloped by the EF council as they're broke and currently volunteers are patching up the ground to keep it going. It's not a bad thing if they move back to Freo Oval.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Great thread. I haven't been to Perth for years but I'd love to catch a game at one of those grounds. I really like the look of Perth's ground. Brutalism at its best.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle_Oval.jpg

The City of Fremantle will consider a funding proposal to develop a business case and concept for the co-location of South Fremantle and East Fremantle Football clubs at Fremantle Oval.

If approved by council later this month, the City will start seeking proposals from suitably qualified consultants to undertake the work from the end of the month and expects a final report to be completed by mid–2015.
http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/home...014/September/Fremantle_Oval_co-tenancy_plans

I hope Old Easts' don't leave EFO. It's one of the best WAFL grounds IMO and my sister is adamant that it's capable of hosting AFL matches.

I love that nickname

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can anyone here remember when they played an NRL game at Laithlain?

Western Suburbs Magpies played the Melbourne Storm there on May 8, 1999. I don't know how scoring works in rugby but it seems like it was a flogging. There's no photos, no footage, just the brief and boring information online saying it happened. I have no idea why they would've played it at such a ground; surely the WACA and/or Subi was available? And Perth Oval was in soccer mode then (though maybe the Glory were booked that weekend? Maybe it was a winter soccer season then).

Very interesting.

DardySingh360

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Can anyone here remember when they played an NRL game at Laithlain?

Western Suburbs Magpies played the Melbourne Storm there on May 8, 1999. I don't know how scoring works in rugby but it seems like it was a flogging. There's no photos, no footage, just the brief and boring information online saying it happened. I have no idea why they would've played it at such a ground; surely the WACA and/or Subi was available? And Perth Oval was in soccer mode then (though maybe the Glory were booked that weekend? Maybe it was a winter soccer season then).

Very interesting.

Perth Oval was an oval Aussie rules ground until 2002 I believe. Freo played at Subi the day after that, maybe they couldn't convert the ground in time for the AFL match? No idea why it couldn't be at the WACA though, the Perth Reds were based there weren't they? So surely that venue would've been suitable.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Perth Oval was an oval Aussie rules ground until 2002 I believe. Freo played at Subi the day after that, maybe they couldn't convert the ground in time for the AFL match? No idea why it couldn't be at the WACA though, the Perth Reds were based there weren't they? So surely that venue would've been suitable.
I'm guessing it was just really, really cheap. Or probably totally free. Western Suburbs were incredibly poor I think, so that's all I can think of. Being the 1990s, I doubt the NRL was stumping up cash for travel too. Sounds a little like Fitzroy playing in Hobart out of pocket.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I'm guessing it was just really, really cheap. Or probably totally free. Western Suburbs were incredibly poor I think, so that's all I can think of. Being the 1990s, I doubt the NRL was stumping up cash for travel too. Sounds a little like Fitzroy playing in Hobart out of pocket.

In the 1990's the NRL were actively killing clubs after the Super League war

As much as I dislike East Perffff, Perth oval was a fantastic place to watch footy. I love those big gates they have behind the Shed.

I worked for the Electrical company who installed the first light towers Glory used for night matches. One of my jobs was to go to the games and turn everything on and be the onsite electrician. I used to sneak all my mates in. My work van was like one of those clown cars with people piling out of it once I got inside.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Actually I should rephrase soon to be demolished, the groundsman actually told me it could be years, the actual playing surface seems OK and is still well maintained.

The place inside is extremely trashed, I wandered through and there is old footy stuff (nothing seemingly important) everywhere.

I salvaged some old tapes that were obviously going to be trashed but ATM do not have the ability to paly them.

I will get back there in the near future and really take a stack of inside photos if I can, it is a bit eery really wandering around alone inside the completely trashed insides and TBH I am not sure if it was vandals or a result of moving teams who were told not to worry.

Back