Rumour Simon Goodwin, Bailey's replacement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodwin not alpha male ? You're kidding right. He basically willed himself to be an AFL player, then became our equal toughest player for about 10yrs. You think Roo becomes best mates with shy retiring types ?

Just my opinion, which in the grand scheme of things means very little.

Also involved in the biggest scandal to hit the AFL EVER. I would rather see that all played out before we made a move on him. Knowing our luck, we hire him and ASADA slap him with a show cause notice that leads to an infraction and two year ban.
Of course, he was never fined by the AFL and never implicated as being complicit in the saga. He wont get a show cause, you know it as well as I do. The only asst coach named and fined was Bomber, who is now head coach and doing a pretty good job. Additionally, many here, including me, advocate throwing the kitchen sink at Bomber to come over here. Never seen you complain about that Jenny. I sense you're not a Roo fan, that your attitude towards Roo is exacerbated by your mates sudden departure, and by association you're not a fan of Goodwin.

I have no problem with any of that, but dont hide behind some moral indignation. Just come out and declare your position :)

Of course, he was never fined by the AFL and never implicated as being complicit in the saga. He wont get a show cause, you know it as well as I do. The only asst coach named and fined was Bomber, who is now head coach and doing a pretty good job. Additionally, many here, including me, advocate throwing the kitchen sink at Bomber to come over here. Never seen you complain about that Jenny. I snese you're not a Roo fan, that your attitude towards Roo is exacerbated by your mates sudden departure, and by association you're not a fan of Goodwin.

I have no problem with any of that, but dont hide behind some moral indignation. Just come out and declare your position :)

I heard rumours that Goody was the assistant that was reported to be taking the "supplements". Have no idea of the truth of this.

I heard rumours that Goody was the assistant that was reported to be taking the "supplements". Have no idea of the truth of this.
Fact: he was not named in the ACC report, he was not implicated in the AFL investigation, he has received no fine or suspension by the AFL.
Bomber was named and fined, yet you all would love him at the AFC.
Take your rumours somewhere else, they're irrelevant

Fact: he was not named in the ACC report, he was not implicated in the AFL investigation, he has received no fine or suspension by the AFL.

Well an internet forum would be pretty dull if everyone dealt in facts!

BTW I wouldn't want Bomber. Overrated at Geelong. Weak at Essendon.

Mark Thompson would be an amazing acquisition to our club if his past was in the past. John Worsfold would also be very good in Baileys role. However if we're taking the high moral ground, he was a premiership coach whose star player is reported to get on the gear at half time in a prelim we lost to them narrowly.

if you guys think Goodwin is good for baileys role, you don't understand the role.

Mark Thompson would be an amazing acquisition to our club if his past was in the past. John Worsfold would also be very good in Baileys role. However if we're taking the high moral ground, he was a premiership coach whose star player is reported to get on the gear at half time in a prelim we lost to them narrowly.

if you guys think Goodwin is good for baileys role, you don't understand the role.

What exactly does the role entail?

666582-nathan-bassett.jpg
Is it possible to make a 'Dr Who' rain gif from this image?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bomber was fined over a lack of duty of care in his senior role - but from what I understand he tried to end the program once becoming fully aware, but it continued thanks to Hird/Dank. Bomber was going to fight the AFL for his reputation, but figured best to just take the hit.

Goody took the same beauty drugs Hird took - not illegal for coaches, but Warney has a lot to answer for...

Could you be a little more specific?
Managers started from scratch, worked there way up, understand how things go, have handled the heat a senior coach can get,not only handled, but succeeded. Everything that made Niel Balme one of the best there ever was, in this role, is what we require. Goodwin ticks maybe 1 of 20 boxes.

Managers started from scratch, worked there way up, understand how things go, have handled the heat a senior coach can get,not only handled, but succeeded. Everything that made Niel Balme one of the best there ever was, in this role, is what we require. Goodwin ticks maybe 1 of 20 boxes.

What role do they fulfill on game day? Is it a strategic role? Is it more leadership based man management? Or is it a culmination of both? I just never really grasped what an "innovation coach" was.

I'd like to see Goodwin in that senior assistant role. I don't think Bomber or Worsfold are realistic candidates.

I think that would be as destructive as appointing shame charters strength and conditioning coach

Goody wants to be a senior coach. He has ambition and some credentials. He'd destabilise Sando just by being there. it would look like plan b was already in waiting. A fallback. A favourite son, just biding his time

It would look like that to the other coaching staff, the supporters, the players and Sando. It would diminish the chain of command.

I see Goodwin as a replacement for Bickley rather than Bailey, but I agree it would still be seen by everyone as a backup plan for cutting Sanderson.

A Bailey replacement needs to be an experienced tactician with no ambition to be a senior coach (again/ever), preferably an outsider as this club is far too insular in thinking and hiring already.

I don't really want him, I want us to raid assistants, fitness staff and football department staff from the successful programs at Hawthorn and Sydney, maybe Geelong too but we already have a few from there.
The only bloke we want from Geelong is Stephen Wells. Apparently we are up to our eyeballs in that one.

The only bloke we want from Geelong is Stephen Wells. Apparently we are up to our eyeballs in that one.
Would be a huge get & we have enough ex-Cats as coaches. We should be looking to bring in different ideas from other successful teams by targeting experienced operators. eg.
Stewy Dew - Sydney (Strategy & Midfield)
Brett Ratten - Hawks
Peter Sumich - Freo
Mark Harvey - WA media looking to get back into a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back