Brisbane Bears club song

Remove this Banner Ad

I did manage to come across this song by accident on YouTube. A user by the name of "Alfred Cunningham" had uploaded a video detailing the AFL's Centenary Celebrations in 1996 including a 15 minute long medley of all the club songs performed at a special dinner. It included the Brisbane Bears song, which is actually one of my favourites but sadly the video was taken down not that long ago.

Let's fix that, shall we? :)

AFL Centenary Celebrations - Brisbane Bears Theme Song [Swing Version] - Mike Brady

This makes more sense when you watch the entire performance. As 10Dulkar noted, the AFL's Centenary Ball included a medley of all club songs, each performed in a different musical style by either Mike Brady and The Music Men or club luminaries such as Rex Hunt, Jim Stynes, Tony Liberatore, Sam Newman and Lou Richards.

Brisbane actually got off lightly with this Swing version. Fremantle got stuck with Country & Western and Tigers fans have to endure the Richmond Rap. Fitzroy's theme song isn't too bad, a Parisian Can-Can in keeping with its French origins.

AFL Centenary Celebrations - All Club Theme Songs

Anyway, its kinda-sorta the Bears theme song. Download here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/isxakr

Enjoy! :footy::):footy:

Just a thought,
We have the lyrics, we know the tune used, why not just record it new? Does anyone know a music producer? Someone brilliantly talented, local, and a supporter of our club? Someone trusted to take care and love of it. But they have to be really good, be able to do the instrumentals and vocals with skill.
I know, James North .

James, do you know anyone?:cool:

It's true I'm great.

I had this discussion with weevil a few months ago with regards to doing the Fitzroy tune with the Brisbane Lions lyrics.... the chorus of men singing and the real horns etc. I could play a bunch of the instruments ... but not the horns. That's where the $$ are an issue. I think it'd just have to be the right timing/scheduling to fit it in, too.

However, I'm not sure about recording such fanciful lyrics - "We are the Bears on the road to victory"?

It's true I'm great.

I had this discussion with weevil a few months ago with regards to doing the Fitzroy tune with the Brisbane Lions lyrics.... the chorus of men singing and the real horns etc. I could play a bunch of the instruments ... but not the horns. That's where the $$ are an issue. I think it'd just have to be the right timing/scheduling to fit it in, too.

However, I'm not sure about recording such fanciful lyrics - "We are the Bears on the road to victory"?

Let's crowdfund this!

I am down with it, Skoob but putting something down ... I'd need downtime, you dig?

Synth horns are getting better these days, but even the good ones still sound pretty unnatural. I think this kind of thing would have to be pretty traditional in its sound ... otherwise it'll just sound like one of those terrible karaoke tracks where the video has couples are walking around a lake and pointing at doves.

My desire is a bit low :/

I am down with it, Skoob but putting something down ... I'd need downtime, you dig?

Synth horns are getting better these days, but even the good ones still sound pretty unnatural. I think this kind of thing would have to be pretty traditional in its sound ... otherwise it'll just sound like one of those terrible karaoke tracks where the video has couples are walking around a lake and pointing at doves.

My desire is a bit low :/

Totally. Groovy man, didn't mean to get all heavy.;)

Doves can be sexy but :cool:
SpottedDovesMating2.jpg

Thank you so, so much MightyRoar for reuploading this. To me, it shows one of the great things about AFL, the tradition of the club song, whoever we support. I love singing along to just about any song, Freo excepted! Would be nice to hear the song in full, even updated for the Lions but that might be a step too far. Enjoy the pre-season guys.

P.S. Although a new fan, I'm still annoyed I never twigged on that Liberatore, Rex Hunt and John Newman were in this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well...its song related...

Glenn’s 18 Special Edition: we give you the definitive ranking of the AFL club songs

2. FITZROY/BRISBANE
“We are the boys from old Fitzroy”, 1950s
Best part: “Fitzroy, Fitzroy, The Club we hold so dear”
The original Fitzroy theme song remains one of the most powerful, even if its watered-down version at the Brisbane Lions lacks the same punch. One of the club’s greats, Bill Stephen, penned the words on a railway trip with the club to Western Australia in the 1950s. He had been inspired by hearing ‘La Marseillaise’, the French national anthem, when watching the classic movie Casablanca. Initially, the French embassy in Melbourne complained. The Brisbane Lions song retains the tune, and some of the words, but is not as powerful as the Fitzroy one.
327809-cf586e1e-2365-11e4-bee2-80d82dcd29df.jpg

Good call...obviously I'm very bias, but its no surprise the Tigers claimed no.1, but either way, the Lions or Roys song is a cracker...obviously.

Parents have quite a lot of games from then recorded on vhs I'll have a hunt and see if they may have it

I have always wondered if the club could play the Fitzroy theme song after the Brisbane club song when we win in Victoria, a little like Freo and AC/DC's TNT being played after the Freo club song.

Have the current song straight after the final siren and sing that in the rooms, but just play the Fitzroy one once follwoing it to give the old roy supporters a bit of extra joy hearing it loud and proud.

I have always wondered if the club could play the Fitzroy theme song after the Brisbane club song when we win in Victoria, a little like Freo and AC/DC's TNT being played after the Freo club song.

Have the current song straight after the final siren and sing that in the rooms, but just play the Fitzroy one once follwoing it to give the old roy supporters a bit of extra joy hearing it loud and proud.

Still not a fan of "we're a separate team" movements when playing in different areas. :(

I don't really see the problem in it. Just give long time supporters more joy in a win.
There are other Lions supporters in Melbourne apart from those who come from the Fitzroy side of the family.

I can't see why they can't play the Fitzroy Theme song after a Win in Melbourne We wear the Red Jumper in Melbourne so whats the big deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back