Dayne beams officially requests trade

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
I meant turn into a spud, not leave the club.
Palmer was well on the way to being a spud when he left Freo, he just finished the journey at GWS, that's why they find it so funny, because he was going to be used as trade bait anyway and he walked to GWS they got overs for compo and they also couldn't lose a second player. Massive win all round for Freo.

Smokeless Wardance

Senior List
Oct 12, 2012
The harbour city
AFL Club
Adelaide
They are not very well compensated. The average salary is just over $200,000 (that's not even three times the average salary for a job that lasts a quarter as long at best). The NFL thirds players get $500,000 a year. We have a trumped up amateur league.

It's the highest paid sports league in the country and the trade scenarios don't generally involve rookies and B graders so realistically you are talking about blokes earnings $400k plus. I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them if they have to live in Adelaide or Perth for a few years to pursue their dream.

It's the highest paid sports league in the country and the trade scenarios don't generally involve rookies and B graders so realistically you are talking about blokes earnings $400k plus. I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them if they have to live in Adelaide or Perth for a few years to pursue their dream.

If everyone in the best 22 earned $400,000 there wouldn't be any money for anybody else in the squad.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Pick 4 is not enough but the Pies are dreaming if they'll get 4 & Aish. 4 and another player would be sufficient but who that player is is hard to say. There's only a few on the list that I'd see the Pies agreeing to (Mayes, Hanley, Rich) however I'm unsure if Brissy would give up any of these.

Wow, I would rather give up Aish than Mayes, Hanley or Rich.

Giving up none of those would be preferable though.

If you want Merrett you can have him, he's been delisted.

Like **** he has!

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Also an interesting comparison is our Darren Jolly trade 2009. Swans got Lewis Jetta and ended up with Ben McGlynn for the other pick (which ended up as Ben Stratton). First+3rd rounder for Jolly seems like pretty fair compensation to me... for another player who asked to return home for personal reasons while still contracted.

How is that interesting?

Jolly was traded for picks 14 and 46. Fair compensation in your eyes.

Brisbane have picks 4 and 22 (at this stage) and Pies fans are carrying on about draft picks being unknown quantities and whatnot.

Grandaddy J

All Australian
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
They are not very well compensated. The average salary is just over $200,000 (that's not even three times the average salary for a job that lasts a quarter as long at best). The NFL thirds players get $500,000 a year. We have a trumped up amateur league.

I'm not sure about you but last time I checked we don't live in America

I'm not sure about you but last time I checked we don't live in America
Are we playing that game?

The minimum wage and average salary in this country is higher yet our elite sportsmen earn $200,000 a year. As I mentioned that is roughly three times the average salary and the average sporting life in the AFL is 4 years. How that compares with an accountant making their $65,000 a year for forty years isn't hard to compare.

Their bodies are just as destroyed at the end of their career.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is that interesting?

Jolly was traded for picks 14 and 46. Fair compensation in your eyes.

Brisbane have picks 4 and 22 (at this stage) and Pies fans are carrying on about draft picks being unknown quantities and whatnot.
Because it is fair compensation...not the ripoff deals put up by a lot of people in this thread.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Palmer was well on the way to being a spud when he left Freo, he just finished the journey at GWS, that's why they find it so funny, because he was going to be used as trade bait anyway and he walked to GWS they got overs for compo and they also couldn't lose a second player. Massive win all round for Freo.
You've missed my point entirely. The point is that just because a player looks a million bucks in his first year, it doesn't actually mean he'll be any good. Plenty of players promise a lot, and then don't actually turn out very well. That is why you pay a premium for a player who you know has turned out well.

DuckToaster

Maynards #1 fan
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brisbane will pay up. Bookmark it. You can keep repeating the same old "but Beams wants to leave" line all you want... Brisbane have been after Beams for a very long time and they will not screw this up. If Beams stays with collingwood he is a RFA next year and will enter the PSD and will not be picked up by Brisbane. Brisbane need to keep Collingwood happy here, not the other way around. Once Brisbane get work GCS are after him they will crumble at the trade table.

le dominateur

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2009
sadelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Every club takes its turn at getting reamed or unders in trades, some clubs more than others:(, it seems it's Collingwood turn and the natives don't like it.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane will pay up. Bookmark it. You can keep repeating the same old "but Beams wants to leave" line all you want... Brisbane have been after Beams for a very long time and they will not screw this up. If Beams stays with collingwood he is a RFA next year and will enter the PSD and will not be picked up by Brisbane. Brisbane need to keep Collingwood happy here, not the other way around. Once Brisbane get work GCS are after him they will crumble at the trade table.

Little bit of hopium laced optimism here I think.

CrowMan90

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2014
Japan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool,Barcelona, Roma
Also there should be no reason the Pies can't deal with GC. Demanding to only go to Brisbane is unfair by Beams on the Pies and you would hope he will demand fair compensation for Collingwood in a trade.
Why is it unfair? It happens to all clubs, you win some, you lose some.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why would Aish or Mayes agree to be traded to the pies? There's nothing at all in it for them
Get real people!

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Why would Aish or Mayes agree to be traded to the pies? There's nothing at all in it for them
Get real people!

Everyone wants to play for Bucks.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are we playing that game?

The minimum wage and average salary in this country is higher yet our elite sportsmen earn $200,000 a year. As I mentioned that is roughly three times the average salary and the average sporting life in the AFL is 4 years. How that compares with an accountant making their $65,000 a year for forty years isn't hard to compare.

Their bodies are just as destroyed at the end of their career.

The top 1% of earners are at $210k + so hardly struggle street.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is Aish even allowed to be traded? the Beams trade will not involve any players it will be pick 4 with a swap of second rounders.

Beams is not worth a Judd trade.
He's allowed to be traded, but it ain't going to happen

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I'm not saying that Collingwood should play "hard ball" or refuse to trade him... as long as everything is above board in terms of the reasons of him wanting to go home (and I have no reason yet to doubt that).

BUT - you must still factor in that he has 2 years left on his contract. That is a significant amount of time, and a lot can happen in a 2 year gap.
I am still hoping that the Pies can come to some sort of comprimise with him (either 6-12 months off AFL level footy... or a plan to spend Sunday-Wednesdays back in Brisbane)... but I know that is increasingly unlikely.
If Brisbane want to get him in a trade then they must also play ball and offer something reasonably fair.
Pick 4/5 on its own is an insultingly low offer (as is any offer, as suggested above, to include someone like Merret).

I don't you can ever get a completely fair trade for a player of Beam's value - and maybe a deal of 4/5 with someone like Aish is acceptable... (I will be honest and say that I think Brisbane still easily get the better of that deal)

If Brisbane don't play ball, and aren't willing to give anything close to a fair deal... I don't see any reason why Collingwood shouldn't try to trade him to Gold Coast (where we could get a better offer). Beams still gets to go home, spend more time with his dad, and Collingwood gets closer to a fair deal... if there are then complaints about moving him to GC- then that raises a lot of questions about what are his actual reasons for wanting to go home.

Back