Dayne beams officially requests trade

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Are we playing that game?

The minimum wage and average salary in this country is higher yet our elite sportsmen earn $200,000 a year. As I mentioned that is roughly three times the average salary and the average sporting life in the AFL is 4 years. How that compares with an accountant making their $65,000 a year for forty years isn't hard to compare.

Their bodies are just as destroyed at the end of their career.

I hear what you're saying, but the reason the wages aren't as high here sports wise is because the AFL is not a money spinner in comparison to the NFL.

The past AFL TV deal signed a few years ago is worth a little over 1.2 billion for the duration of the contract (5 years). That equates to around 250 million a year. In comparison, the NFL is raking is over 6 billion per year with TV deals from CBS, NBC, ESPN etc in America. The 6 billion figure does not include the NFL's TV deals around the world either.

Also note that in the CBA for the AFL, with the increase in the TV deal, the players wanted approximately 27% of the cut, it's an increase from 22% as per the old TV deal. In comparison, the NFL players get closer to 50% of the revenue.

Furthermore, how much do you think teams are worth in the AFL in comparison to the NFL? If you buy a bottom rung NFL team, they sell for a little over 1 billion. AFL clubs wouldn't even go for anywhere near that amount.

All to do with population, supply and demand.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Is Aish even allowed to be traded?

Yeah I have heard conflicting arguments on whether you can trade a draftee one year in to their first contract.

Would be nice to know once and for all if that is true or not. Can't think of an example of it happening since Nathan Buckley.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why would Aish or Mayes agree to be traded to the pies? There's nothing at all in it for them
Get real people!

Everyone wants to play for Collingwood for one simple reason: They almost always get to go out on Saturday night and have a good old gurn, the Pies almost never play on Sunday

Tigerland

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2004
NSW
AFL Club
Richmond
This is an interesting trade.

Neither side has the upper hand.

Collingwood have to be seen to be accommodating. If they refuse to deal then I think the playing group will be pretty pissed off. Added to that, the PR would be very bad for them.

Beams may just go, well stuff you - I'll just go through the motions at 70% for a year and see if you want to deal then.

I doubt the Pies can convince him to stay.

Brisbane need to get the deal done and the pressure will be on them to do such.
I'm not buying into the Gold Coast being a likely home.

If the Pies think they are going to get a young gun like Aish and pick 4 - I think they are very mistaken.

The talk of Dangefield to Pies is just hilarious stuff! Get off the drugs people!

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
This is an interesting trade.

Neither side has the upper hand.

Collingwood have to be seen to be accommodating. If they refuse to deal then I think the playing group will be pretty pissed off. Added to that, the PR would be very bad for them.

Beams may just go, well stuff you - I'll just go through the motions at 70% for a year and see if you want to deal then.

I doubt the Pies can convince him to stay.

Brisbane need to get the deal done and the pressure will be on them to do such.
I'm not buying into the Gold Coast being a likely home.

If the Pies think they are going to get a young gun like Aish and pick 4 - I think they are very mistaken.

The talk of Dangefield to Pies is just hilarious stuff! Get off the drugs people!

Tell that to Dayne.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Because it is fair compensation...not the ripoff deals put up by a lot of people in this thread.

It's only fair compensation because the Swans used the picks well. That's the only reason you brought up Lewis Jetta, Ben Stratton and Ben McGlynn.

14 + 46 for 28 year old ruckman = fair.

4 + 22 for 24 year old midfielder = horribly unfair.

I notice Collingwood didn't give up a young gun like Sidebottom or Ben Reid to get Jolly, nor an established star like Didak. But Brisbane should, right?

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's only fair compensation because the Swans used the picks well. That's the only reason you brought up Lewis Jetta, Ben Stratton and Ben McGlynn.

14 + 46 for 28 year old ruckman = fair.

4 + 22 for 24 year old midfielder = horribly unfair.

I notice Collingwood didn't give up a young gun like Sidebottom or Ben Reid to get Jolly, nor an established star like Didak. But Brisbane should, right?
Well yes, because Beams is much better than Jolly, so it wasn't necessary. Jolly had about 2 quality years left, Beams has 6+. And those years are better than Jolly's to begin with

HowYouDoin

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Real Madrid
Pick 4 is not enough but the Pies are dreaming if they'll get 4 & Aish. 4 and another player would be sufficient but who that player is is hard to say. There's only a few on the list that I'd see the Pies agreeing to (Mayes, Hanley, Rich) however I'm unsure if Brissy would give up any of these. If Brisbane can find a way to get another 1st round pick and bundle that with pick 4 it should be enough to get the deal done, maybe with a swap of later picks as well.

Would rather give up Aish then those players.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Well yes, because Beams is much better than Jolly, so it wasn't necessary. Jolly had about 2 quality years left, Beams has 6+. And those years are better than Jolly's to begin with

Jolly played 4 seasons for Collingwood, 3 of them very good. He got injured and tailed off in the 4th, but in case you've forgotten was the quality ruckman you needed to win a flag. No Jolly, no premiership. Simples.

That's an aside, though. You're judging the trade through rose coloured glasses because the picks turned out well. Do you really think Sydney wanted picks 14 and 46 instead of a premiership ruckman in his prime? Didn't think so. Though I'm sure they'd be rapt with Christian Howard and Troy Taylor.

The same arguments you apply to Brisbane applied to Collingwood 5 years ago. Why didn't you give up Ben Reid? What had he really done in his first 3 years? Let him play with his brother. Sidebottom? What as he, pick 11? Not worth any more than that after one year...

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jolly played 4 seasons for Collingwood, 3 of them very good. He got injured and tailed off in the 4th, but in case you've forgotten was the quality ruckman you needed to win a flag. No Jolly, no premiership. Simples.

That's an aside, though. You're judging the trade through rose coloured glasses because the picks turned out well. Do you really think Sydney wanted picks 14 and 46 instead of a premiership ruckman in his prime? Didn't think so. Though I'm sure they'd be rapt with Christian Howard and Troy Taylor.

The same arguments you apply to Brisbane applied to Collingwood 5 years ago. Why didn't you give up Ben Reid? What had he really done in his first 3 years? Let him play with his brother. Sidebottom? What as he, pick 11? Not worth any more than that after one year...
But Jolly's nowhere near as good as Beams???
A first rounder+a little extra is perfectly fair for an above average (not fantastic, just above average) 28 year old ruck. That is roughly market value without even considering who Sydney got out of it. We didn't need to add anything to make that deal fair. Conversely, 4+change is not fair for Beams.

Did Jolly have a sick father to be closer to?

No issue we will trade him to GC beams shouldn't have an issue with that is that fair enough?

A first rounder+a little extra is perfectly fair for an above average (not fantastic, just above average) 28 year old ruck. That is roughly market value without even considering who Sydney got out of it. We didn't need to add anything to make that deal fair. Conversely, 4+change is not fair for Beams.

Please. Jolly was one of the best ruckmen in the competition when you signed him. That trade could have really hurt us if we didn't sign Shane Mumford.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Jesus.

4 + 22 >>> 14 + 46. Disequal players, disequal trade offers - "fair" or otherwise. It's not hard.

If you want better draft picks then stiff s**t, Brisbane don't have any. If Brisbane were a higher finisher Collingwood would be in even worse trade position.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
My favourite part of this thread is opposition club supporters trying to poach young guns from Brisbane/Gold Coast in three-way trades ;)

each to their own, my favourite part is your 2nd best midfielder wanting to leave ;)

Back